Foal loss, but for the best

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went to the Hunterian Museum at the Royal College of Surgeons here in London, when I was at Art School and it was a real eye opener- that foal would be of real interest to a Vet School Tony- these things do happen but they are rarer in horses than you would think. I do think it is a Dwarf- I think this is the end result - ie Total dwarfism- we have all seen Dwarf "characteristics" and "semi" Dwarfs- I think this is probably what happens when all the characteristics are present in one foal/foetus . I have to extend a real "Thankyou"- a lot would merely have buried it and said nothing.

Tony said:
I have delivered close to 800 foals and this one is the most grotesque that I have ever had.  His eyeballs were sticking out when I got the head out.  His legs were about the size of his tail and belly was a large balloon; just what I thought I had felt.
11/24/5 dwarf colt

505917[/snapback]

Oh Tony!

How far along was the little mare? I hope she is OK!

Denise

Silversong Farm

I am so sorry for you and your little mare. Hope she is ok. I just don't know how you delivered that foal. Thank you for posting.

Tony thank you for sharing and posting the photo - Sometimes mother nature seems to get her wires crossed. Thank goodness you were around to help the mare with what had to be a difficult delivery.

I am so sorry for you loss Tony, but I agree, it was definelty for the best. Being pretty new to breeding, that was very educational. Sorry again.

Tony, I'm sorry for your loss, but so glad that you were there for your mare.

Thanks for sharing this, I had no idea such a thing could even happen-- good to know!

I had never heard the term "water baby" before either... poor little thing!!

So sorry for your loss. Hope the mare will be ok. It certainly good that you found her when you did and that the membraines ruptured.

I am very sorry for your loss but so glad you were there for your mare. God Bless and thanks for sharing
sad.gif

Wow Tony, I've never seen the like either!! That is amazing, and thank heavens you were able to remove the foal!! Hope the mama will be ok.... just one of nature's mysteries!

I sure have not delivered as many foals as you but OMG that is the strangest thing I have ever seen.

Thank you for posting it as you did so we could choose to see it or not. I did choose and it was educational.

I do hope your mare is fine and I am sorry for your loss as I am sure it was a very disturbing and emotional thing to go through. A dystocia of any kind is always tense, but to have this come out would be beyond my imagination.

I do have a couple questions if you dont mind answering though.

Has this cross been successful in the past?

How many days gestation was this mare?

Is she maiden and/or have previous births and gestation been normal?

I am not trying to pry but for education I am curious. These are things that can happen to any of us who breed and always appreciate someone taking time to share for the rest of us even in difficult times.

I am so sorry for your loss, but I am happy that your mare is doing well.

Tony, surely it was difficult enough to help this mare deliver her foal, but how frightening to observe the result. It'll be a long time before this experience fades from your mind's eye.

By the grace of God, you were there to help the mare and save her life.

With the stigma of a dwarf foaling on one's farm, I applaud your courage to help educate us.

The mare has had several foals previously, in fact two full siblings to this, all with no problem and excellent foals. She was probably about three to four months along. We pasture breed, and she was probably due in April.

Tony,

I haven't read all the posts, but am wondering if you had anything unusual happen..

such as mares sick or different vaccinations?

What i am getting at is about 4-5 years ago we had a mare foal a colt that i believe was a siemese twin (probably spelled that wrong)

This colt was born with 4 eyes and 2 muzzles and actually was born alive and lived for about 18 hours.

(believe me, it freaked me out)

Now that prior winter, we had strangles go through most of our herd

(all broodmares that were outside)

Several of them were very, very sick and were treated with pennicillian.

All got over it ok, but that following spring, we lost 2 foals.... the one i just told you about and then another one that was born alive also, but it's legs bent the wrong way. (hard to explain that but it was really weird)

Those were the first 2 foals that were born that year and i was scared about the rest of them to be born....But all the rest were fine.

anyway,,,, i asked alot of vets if they thought either the stranges or the treatment could have caused this and i never did get a definate answer from anyone.

Yowza, that's the oddest thing I've ever seen. I bet a lot of vet schools would be interested in seeing photos and hearing your story.

tony,

I'm so glad that your knowledge helped save your little mare (((hugs))) to you and her

but...

even more (((HUGS))) to the little colt. Bless his little horsey heart, what an angel, seeing his picture has helped me to see how precious all life is. I shed a lot of tears seeing him. I do believe animals have spirits too and I know that that he is now free to run at the rainbow bridge on strong legs.

Thank you for sharing this.

Tony just checking to see if the mare is still o.k? Our thoughts have been with you, Janice
sad.gif

Tony,

Thank you so much for sharing - poor little precious baby never even had a chance at life. Thank goodness you were there to help your little mare. It makes all of us realize how fortunate we are when a foal is born healthy.

Latest posts

Back