Foal loss, but for the best

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony

Reaction score
When I was feeding this morning I noticed one mare off by herself laying down, then before I got to her, rolling. I know that that is never a good sign, especially when they repeat the actions, and she was doing so. Found that she was trying to abort her foal and the "bubble" had already broken and the placenta was hanging down. I quickly haltered her and tied her to the fence and went in to check the progress. I immediately knew, when I felt around that it was a dwarf. I got the head out fairly quickly, but was not making any progress getting the rest. I took her to the barn and out on some grass where I considered calling the vet, but thought that I would give it another try because since it was Thanksgiving morning I knew that I would likely have little success getting anyone.

The more I tried to go in to feel the body, the more confused I was because I knew that nothing seemed even remotely "usual". I kept feeling something that seemed like a large balloon, but finally was able to get it out.

I have delivered close to 800 foals and this one is the most grotesque that I have ever had. His eyeballs were sticking out when I got the head out. His legs were about the size of his tail and belly was a large balloon; just what I thought I had felt.

I will not post a picture here, but if some of you want to see it, here is a link. This is NOT a joke, so don't go there expecting one, please!!!

11/24/5 dwarf colt

Om my gosh!
ohmy.gif
Is the mare ok?

I can truly say I haven´t see anything like this before.

Thanks for posting it, though horrible it´s also very interesting....

no.gif
You are so right Tony, that loss was certainly for the best. I've worked for a vet for 12 years and didn't think anything could rock me now, but seeing that pic made even my stomach roll. I'm sorry and I hope your mare is doing ok.

OMG Tony, that is just awful!

That looks like what the enviornmental toxins can do, but I've never seen one that bad!

I'm so sorry this had to happen and on your Thanksgiving day too.

Charlotte

Im so sorry to hear about that, i really am. The foal pic was horrible, is the mare ok?
sad.gif

That is so sad. Hope your mare is doing well, I cannot imagine how she was able to pass all of that.

So sorry for your loss.

I guess I have a vet type mind because I keep thinking, how did he get that out of a mare? It just doesn't look like it would fit. I am not trying to be insensitive, I just am so amazed by the whole thing.

So glad your mare is ok Tony!

Not very pleasent l didn't ever imagine anything like that but l would think it's for the best she aborted. Sorry and hope that the mare is fine.

Jean_B said:
This is definitely a case of mother nature making sure what should not survive, doesn't.
505934[/snapback]

EXACTLY! Tony, just when you think you have seen it all.............

Tony said:
When I was feeding this morning I noticed one mare off by herself laying down, then before I got to her, rolling.  I know that that is never a good sign, especially when they repeat the actions, and she was doing so.  Found that she was trying to abort her foal and the "bubble" had already broken and the placenta was hanging down.  I quickly haltered her and tied her to the fence and went in to check the progress.  I immediately knew, when I felt around that it was a dwarf.  I got the head out fairly quickly, but was not making any progress getting the rest.  I took her to the barn and out on some grass where I considered calling the vet, but thought that I would give it another try because since it was Thanksgiving morning I knew that I would likely have little success getting anyone.
The more I tried to go in to feel the body, the more confused I was because I knew that nothing seemed even remotely "usual".  I kept feeling something that seemed like a large balloon, but finally was able to get it out.

I have delivered close to 800 foals and this one is the most grotesque that I have ever had.  His eyeballs were sticking out when I got the head out.  His legs were about the size of his tail and belly was a large balloon; just what I thought I had felt.

It sure is a good thing Mother Nature took care of that.Your mare could have been in serious trouble if she carried it for a long time.Just curious, how far along was she in the pregnancy?Many years ago I had a small round fetus something like that with no legs just hooves attached to the body.My mare did not expel the placenta for over 6 days & was flushed daily.It was a long slow process.She had several more dwarf foals&some normal ones.I finally gave her away after dealing with too many dwarves.She was the most georgeous Appaloosa mare I have ever seen&a Chianti daughter with unknown dam.I always suspected that Chianti was also her grandsire and the inbreeding was the cause of her producing so many dwarf babies. Glad your mare is OK

11/24/5 dwarf colt

505917[/snapback]

Tony you need to get that to a University. It is awful and I am so glad you were there to help and that the little mare is OK but this needs to be investigated further- I would love to be in on an autopsy on that!!

An autopsy may find nothing. Sometimes - things just go horribly wrong for no reason - even with human babies.

I worked on a Thoroughbred farm... where some of the foals in utero were already being clamored for and great things were expected of them. One excellent mare started foaling one night... things were not right - we had a nose but no front feet - just as the farm manager arrived at the stall we manged to help the mom deliver.

The colt - a big one - was alive but seemed to be fading a bit - from thr stress of delivery, maybe? We kept him warm... and did not work to revive him when he slipped away. He had no front legs. Not even shoulder blades. Normal in every way except that... tests at the vet lab found nothing amiss.

Sometimes... sh - ummm... stuff happens. And you never know why...
no.gif

I am so sorry Tony. While I consider every loss of life a tragedy this abortion was a blessing in disguise. My little mare had an abortion a week ago and passed a beautifully formed little colt, even the vet commented on how perfect it was. I will cry for yours as well as mine. Life does some funny things doesn't it.

hmMM I oddly thought i would be more disturbed by the photo then I am not sure why other then since Sadie I guess I can look at it differently?

But i am amazed the mare is ok you did a great job there tony

Tony...

I am so sorry for your loss... what an unexpected site that was.....
no.gif

I also have delivered many foals and have attended several spontaneous abortions and have never seen anything like that..... sending prayers for your mare that she will be alright...

Suzy Hooper

Show Horses by Suzy

Fresno, CA

Tony...

So very sorry for your loss, I hope your mare is ok.

Tony I'm so sorry for the loss of the foal. It was obviously not meant to be. I'm glad you were there and were able to help the mare.

Tony,

You are NOT kidding that was a blessing. I've never seen anything like that before. And I applaud you for posting since it is a great education for breeders on here.

I hope your mare is doing okay.....

God Bless,

MA

thank you for bringing this out in the open. I know that many that have dwarves don't even acknowledge. I certainly hope your mare is feeling okay and there will be no complications.

Tony, can you tell me how far along your mare was? Again, thank you for sharing and educating all of us.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back