Finally!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taylor Richelle

Reaction score
Sox was broke to drive when he was 2 1/2 with his previous owner. Then driven once last March after only being hooked up a handful of times. Finally this past weekend I took him over to my best friends house and got him hooked up with their cart since mine was too big. I ground drove him for a little bit, then hooked him up. We went down to the ring walked him around for awhile and then I got in the cart...he was PERFECT! I was so proud of him. We ended up driving 3 times over the weekend. He only spooked twice and all he did was jolt forward and then he was fine. My pony cart is up for sale and I already found a cart and harness to buy. Soon I will be driving him at home. I'm excited. Here is a picture of us (this was only my 3rd time driving, so I'm still learning myself)
default_wub.png

2qwnb4n.jpg

A couple of questions first then.
default_smile.png

1) It's hard to see the arrangement of the tugs from that photo. Does the harness have wrap straps or something else?

2) Were you going slightly downhill in this photo, or slowing down or stopping? Some of my harness-fit commentary won't be applicable if you were.

First of all, props to you for wearing a helmet and having both the cart and harness fairly well-fitted to your horse. Your tugs are not too low as so many new drivers have them and it looks like Sox has good energy for a green horse. Do you have breeching available? You KNOW the first thing half of us are going to tell you is to take off the check and use breeching!
default_laugh.png
I'm going to wait to comment on the placement of the saddle and the tension of the traces until I know the answer to question #2.

Ideally you should have a whip in your hand at all times (no slapping his butt with the reins to go forward!
default_wink.png
) and might find it easier to hold the reins coming up through the bottom of your hands like you were riding huntseat so you can do more than "pull back to go left."

Again, this is a very good beginner picture.
default_aktion033.gif
You and he both have a lot of potential and I look forward to seeing you improve as you get more experience. Give us some more info and we'll say a little more about the harness fit.

Leia

A couple of questions first then.
default_smile.png

1) It's hard to see the arrangement of the tugs from that photo. Does the harness have wrap straps or something else?

2) Were you going slightly downhill in this photo, or slowing down or stopping? Some of my harness-fit commentary won't be applicable if you were.

First of all, props to you for wearing a helmet and having both the cart and harness fairly well-fitted to your horse. Your tugs are not too low as so many new drivers have them and it looks like Sox has good energy for a green horse. Do you have breeching available? You KNOW the first thing half of us are going to tell you is to take off the check and use breeching!
default_laugh.png
I'm going to wait to comment on the placement of the saddle and the tension of the traces until I know the answer to question #2.

Ideally you should have a whip in your hand at all times (no slapping his butt with the reins to go forward!
default_wink.png
) and might find it easier to hold the reins coming up through the bottom of your hands like you were riding huntseat so you can do more than "pull back to go left."

Again, this is a very good beginner picture.
default_aktion033.gif
You and he both have a lot of potential and I look forward to seeing you improve as you get more experience. Give us some more info and we'll say a little more about the harness fit.

Leia

Thanks again Leia

1- You know I'm not sure. I didn't do alot of the hook up. My friends mom did. Sorry I'm so new to the driving it's crazy!

2- The picture was take at a slant and we had to rotate it so it was somewhat level so it might be off a bit. We were on flat ground.

I can't take props for how he is hooked to the cart as I didn't hook him up.. I helped thats it.

The reason I didn't have a whip was because I was hoping I wouldn't need one and he is a little weird around whips so I didn't want to spook him. Turns out I didn't need it anyway, he was very excited to get up and go!
default_laugh.png
In the future I will start useing one.

Once I get my new cart in harness I will be able to practice more and more. I hope to drive him in August at my last show just for practice and experience
default_yes.gif
Sorry I couldn't be of more help with info....

Leia gave you great advice so I will just say that you guys are looking good! I love your little guy.

Angie

Latest posts

Back