Feeding questions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Denali

Reaction score
Ok, I want to make sure I am not overfeeding or underfeeding my boys. I seen a while back (not sure what forum) someone feeding their 4 mini's 1 flake a hay twice a day. When I picked up the two rescue boys, they were getting 3 flakes once a day for the two of them. So I have been feeding 2 flakes twice a day for the 3 combined, but I am worried they really don't need that much. All three donkeys were getting a handful (1 cup) of grain a day by their previous owner/rescue, so I have kept that up. More for a treat than anything. Should I cut it out or switch them to oats or something? I bought 50 bales of grass with some alfalfa mixed in and then found another place with just grass hay and bought another 50 bales. Any suggestions?

Vicki

Vicki,

You'll probably get a different answer from everyone of what and how much to feed but here are my 2 cents worth: watch their weight and adjust as needed. It will depend on how much they need to look of good weight, eventually. I recently heard from an "expert" donkey owner friend that some protein is needed for good feet, hair, etc so feeding some alfalfa can meet that need. She had been of the belief that NO alfalfa should go to donkeys but she keeps treating abcesses in the feet so she's going to see if it will help. We grow alfalfa so that's what ours eat along with pasture grass often. We have not had any abcesses in the 3 years we've had donks. Remember, take weights up slowly and also that donkeys in the wild have survived on pretty sparce feed. You are currently feeding about what we feed our mini donks and it is working nicely for them. Of course, donkeys lie about whether or not they need more food. We feel the ears are like the "Pinocchio Effect"...they lie, the ears grow!

Good luck!

Thanks Colleen! So, no one else FEEDS their donkeys?????? LOL Poor little guys!!! <wink>

Vicki

I feed mine and I try not to over feed them but some of them are getting neck crests so I have to cut back and lord knows I try. They always act like they are absolutely starving to death. I feed mine by fork off of a large round bale so it's hard for me to explain how much I feed them, they don't look fat except for the crests and I can't let that happen so still cutting down, down and down. I feel like they barely are getting anything. You can look at some of my other recent threads with pictures to see them, they look in good weight to me but must be fat because of the necks. But that's why I hadn't answered your post, I don't know how to explain how much I give. I don't give grain now, did a little this summer. I just feed grass hay.

Kilroy has been my only donk for a long time. He gets 2# of grass hay 2x a day and 1 cup of rolled barley 2x a day. For a treat he gets a handful of alfalfa or a cup of Safe Choice. He does really good on this stuff.

The 2 new girls, they are much more picky.
default_rolleyes.gif
: . My friend was giving them really good alfalfa and they got addicted! Right now, I'm feeding them 2 cups of the Safe Choice 2x a day (each) + a mixture of alfalfa/grass. They eat the alfalfa and leave the rest. BRATS! Actually, Halle (the brown one) eats the Safe Choice and wants more. Tara (white one) eats the alfalfa and waits.

[SIZE=12pt]It's a funny thing about their crests on their neck. Like Marnie's, mine act like they are starving but I know they are getting enough because of Maggie's big ol crest on her neck. They get a couple of flakes in the morning and a couple at night of good quality hay and also at night, they get a little treat of strategy while the horses eat. [/SIZE]

I think no matter how much I fed them, they would still want more...lol
default_yes.gif
: Shannon

Back