Feeding Program

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ricgail

Reaction score
Hi everyone.. I have need of suggestions. I am presently feeding my minis Purina Mini. I must say, I am not all that impressed... I am looking to a possible change. My minis are just learning with me to drive. As the weather improves they will be working a bit more and not just pasture pets... Can anyone recommend a feed for me? I am in NC... Thank you much!!

You'll probably receive as many suggestions and ideas as there are posters!

Do you have pasture? Are they on a dry lot? How old?

My horses are on pasture so I only use a vitamin/mineral grass supplement for them. My area has natural selinium, so I choose the selinium-free supplement. I've been using Smartpak, but changing back to Dynamite; their coats and hooves were never so good as when they were on Dynamite. I think most bagged horse feeds are basically floor sweepings with molasses as a binder. Yes, they put the vitamins and minerals in it, rather like a slice of fortified white bread for us. jmho

My horses were on Purina Strategy for years. Then I switched them to Miniature Horse and Pony Feed for about a year and a half. Just switched them back to Strategy.

My suggestion is to find a feed dealer you like and then pick a manufacturer (or more than one) they use. Then ask the dealer for the name and contact info for the nutritionist for that manufacturer for YOUR area and contact them. It is free advice from a professional and tailored to your regional needs. For example, I can get Nutrena products from a number of dealers in my area, one of whom delivers free of charge. That is the dealer I use and I contact the Nutrena nutritionist periodically with new questions - e.g. what to feed broodmares or can I feed the Nutrena Senior to young minis (answer is YES!). I think you can also contact the nutritionists through the manufacturer's website.

What do you have available to you? Our area is a little limited...

Latest posts

Back