Feeding Cracked Corn ???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doobie

Reaction score
Hello all !

In reading some past post I noticed a comment about it not being good to feed minis cracked corn.

However it did not say why it was not good ....

Can anyone enlighten me as too why it is not safe to feed crack corn to minis??

I don't know, I feed cracked corn because it's better than feeding whole kernel corn. The cracked corn makes it easier for the acids to break it down, and more of the feed is being utilized.

I will never feed cracked corn. but if you are going to feed it be leery of mold. The ag assoc put out warnings that moldy corn disease will be much higher this year then others due to the rainy summer and rainy harvest. This mold doesnt affect cows as bad but really affects horses! Also most of this mold cannot be seen by the naked eye

KayKay is right...you can't see that mold and I know that it can kill horses. A Friend learned the hard way.

Ok thanks ..

so its not so much the corn is not good for them as watching the feed.

Which should be done with all feed <G>

Thanks so much !!!

Some have stated in the past that corn can make the sack thicker and tougher. I dont know if thats the truth or not.

Dont feed corn unless its the little bit already in the feed.

Dont like it, dont need it.

Anything moldy here goes to be fed to the cows. They dont mind.

corn is a high starch hot feed. pretty much its empty calories. now there is some corn in feed products but purina says they test every batch of corn for mold before they use it in any feed.

In my experiance it makes my horses "run hot". Was told by my "mini" vet that minis do not process any type of corn well, ( unless it is a part of a pelleted feed )something to do with their kidneys...But that corn oil was a good thing!!!
default_yes.gif
: YES!!! watch out for mold, as said it is sometimes VERY hard to see..Better to be safe than sorry.... :no:

Don't know if it's true or not, but I always heard to only feed corn to those animals intended for slaughter. There are too many good feeds out there designed for horses. Why even bother with corn? JMHO.

No, you really shouldn't feed corn if you don't have to.

Watching isn't safe enough, especially if you are feeding straight corn. Also what are you doing with the horse?? If just out in the pasture, high starch corn really isn't needed. They are not working it off enough.

Ruminants such as cattle can break down the starches much easier in the rumen, to where monogastric animals cannot.

Corn molds are so minute, YOU CANNOT SEE IT. You would need a microscope. So just watching it out of the bag will not work.

I have fed corn in the winter months off and on for years (depending on who needs it)... what are signs of problems? Other than for making them hot as heck... never noticed any sort of other problems feeding it.

My friends have their Own Mix made up,,So out of a 500 pound mix 300 of that is cracked corn. and they feed it all there horses years round. And I started using the same mixture this fall. and will continue. But when my steer is gone I will then go back to just a pre mix bag. but then that has corn in it also.

If a person were so inclined, you could examine the poo of any horse (that goes for humans too) and find that corn is NOT digested well at all. It often comes thru whole just like it went in. The small amount that does digest will turn to starch which can become sugars for energy. But there are a lot of other things that can be fed to create energy so why bother with corn? Because the "old time" horse people/ farmers etc. used what was readily available and cheap for feed. Corn and oats are the cheapest feed around and it was given to horses, cows, pigs, chickens, etc. so many people feel what was good then is good now.

It's just not in your, or your minis, best interest to feed corn. Minis do quite well on good quality hay and little else. If you want to fill them out try some beet pulp. It's a good subsitute for some of your hay amount and relatively cheap. Add maybe a cup (weighed it's about 1/2 lb) a day of supplement (different brands avail. but Purina has Mare and Maintanence which I use) if you're concerned about them getting all their vitamins.

Last edited by a moderator:
this is long but worth reading. this is what happened to that whole herd of horses that was in the news. Also there is another type of mold. heres a short article on it

Toxic metabolic by-products of fungi, known as mycotoxins, have received considerable attention during the past several years. Mycotoxins are known to cause serious health problems in animals including equine leukoencephalomalacia in horses and porcine edema in swine. Reduced weight gain, capillary fragility, reduced fertility, suppressed disease resistance, and even death have been attributed to mycotoxins. No animal is known to be resistant, but in general, older animals are more tolerant than younger animals. Some mycotoxins, fumonisin, aflatoxin, and ochratoxin in particular; have also been associated with human health problems. Certain mycotoxins are suspected carcinogens.

The mycotoxins reported to occur in corn are listed in table 1. The most commonly found mycotoxins in North Carolina-grown corn are aflatoxin, fumonsin, and deoxynivalenol (DON). Probably the most familiar of these is aflatoxin. The detection of aflatoxin in corn can result in a reduced price for grain or even rejection. A mycotoxin of more recent concern is fumonisin. Some corn containing greater than 15 parts per million (ppm) fumonisin was rejected in North Carolina in 1998. Contamination of corn with mycotoxins is greatly influenced by weather.

FINAL DIAGNOSIS -

Moldy Corn Poisoning (Equine Leucoencephalomalacia, Fumonisin Toxicity) in Horses

History: A 9-year-old quarterhorse gelding, from a herd of 6, became increasingly ataxic and weak over a period of 2 days. On the third day, it was found down, recumbent and “colickyâ€. The referring veterinarian was called to the farm. After obtaining a thorough history and completing a physical examination, it was discovered that the horses were being fed cracked and moldy corn that was being scooped up from around a corn bin. The veterinarian treated the horse with banamine. The horse was euthanized after failing to respond to treatment.

Gross Findings: No disease-related gross lesions were present. The cut surface of the brain was normal in appearance.

Histologic Findings: There was multifocal liquefactive necrosis of the white matter with infiltration of large numbers of macrophages in the areas of necrosis.

Toxicology: HPLC analysis of the sample of moldy cracked corn revealed fumonisin B1 at 57.1 ppm and fumonisin B2 at 18.9 ppm for a total of (B1+B2) of 76 ppm.

Discussion: Equine leucoencephalomalacia is a generally fatal, rapidly progressing neurologic disease of horses (and other equids) caused by ingestion of fumonisin. It is characterized by liquefactive necrosis of the cerebral white matter. Liver lesions can also occur. Fumonisins are environmental toxins produced by the molds Fusarium moniliforme (F. verticilloides), F. proliferatum, and other Fusarium species that grow on agricultural commodities in the field or during storage. These mycotoxins have been found as common contaminants worldwide, mainly in corn. More than ten types of fumonisins have been isolated and characterized. Of these, fumonisin B1 (FB2) and fumonisin B3 (FB3) are the major fumonisins produced in nature. The most prevalent of these mycotoxins in contaminated corn is FB1 which is believed to be the most toxic.

The extent of contamination of raw corn with fumonisins varies with geographic location, agronomic and storage practices, and the vulnerability of the plants to fungal invasion during all phases of growth, storage, and processing. The levels of fumonisins in raw corn are also influenced by environmental factors such as temperature, humidity, and rainfall during pre-harvest and harvest periods. High levels of fumonisins are associated with hot and dry weather, followed by periods of high humidity. High levels of fumonisins may also occur in raw corn that has been damaged by insects. Further, fumonisin levels in raw corn can increase under improper storage conditions. For example, optimal growth of fumonisin-producing molds that lead to increased levels of fumonisins in raw corn can occur when the moisture content of harvested raw corn during storage is 18-23%.

Horses, along with rabbits, are the species most sensitive to the toxic effects of fumonisin. Corn and corn by-products used in rations of horses and rabbits should contain less than 5 ppm (FB1 + FB2 + FB3) and comprise no more than 20% of the dry weight of the total ration. The total ration should contain less than 1 ppm (FB1+FB2+ FB3). Horses should never be fed corn screenings or moldy, damaged corn. Catfish and swine are together as intermediate in sensitivity. Ruminants, mink and poultry are more resistant than horses, rabbits, catfish and swine to fumonisin.

Onset of clinical signs can occur from 1-21 weeks after beginning eating feeds containing fumonisin, but generally occur within 2-9 weeks. Time of onset depends on the concentration of fumonisins in the feed. Clinical signs of fumonisin poisoning in horses are usually related to liquefactive necrosis of the white matter of the brain and include progressive ataxia, depression, anorexia, delirium, aimless wandering, recumbency, coma and death. Death can occur from 12 hours – 1 week after onset of clinical signs. If leucoencephalomalacia is suspected, gunshot should not be used for euthanasia as this may render tissues unsuitable for postmortem examination. At necropsy, lesions in the cerebral cortex can range from none to multifocal areas of hemorrhage and necrosis, to the presence of large cavitations of liquefactive necrosis. Histologically, there are multifocal areas of liquefactive necrosis within the cerebral cortex with infiltration of macrophages. Differential diagnoses should include rabies, equine encephalomyelitis, equine herpesvirus, botulism, head trauma, hepatoencephalopathy, and bacterial meningoencephalitis.

Summary: Several cases of equine leucoencephalomalacia have been presented to the ADDL since the beginning of the year. Horse owners should be aware of the dangers of feeding horses mold-dmaaged corn, waste corn and corn screenings. If fumonisin contamination of corn and/or feed is suspected, please send a minimum of ¼ pound (100 g) of a representative sample to the Toxicology Section, ADDL. Horses suspected of having died of leucoencephalomalacia should undergo a complete necropsy to establish a definitive diagnosis taking appropriate precautions remembering that rabies would be among the differential diagnoses.

-by Dr. Steve Hooser, ADDL Toxicologist

Dr. Duane Murphy, ADDL Pathologist

Reference: Carson TL and Poppenga RH: 2002. Equine leucoencephalomalacia. The 5-Minute Veterinary Consult (Brown CM and Bertone J, eds.) 624-625.

February 2, 2007

Locations

ADDL-West Lafayette:

406 S. University

West Lafayette, IN 47907

Phone: 765-494-7440

Fax: 765-494-9181

ADDL-SIPAC

11367 E. Purdue Farm Road

Dubois, IN 47527

Phone: (812) 678-3401

Fax: (812) 678-3412

Home Users Guide Fee Schedule Online Case Reports Intranet

What Kay posted is very good info to read..... :aktion033:

I wouldn't feed corn...it's just too much for mini's....they don't need the starch, calories etc. The risks of molds, mycotoxins and vomitoxins are reason enough to stay away from corn. Cracked or shelled corn doesn't keep well unless it's dried to a certain moisture level and even then it's hard to manage for quality.

Now when you see it in your ingredients of pellets on the tag....I'd like to add usually when corn is used in rations...they cook at a temp to kill molds and improve palibility. Does that make it safer...well yes.....why do they use it at all? Frankly in the past corn is a cheap filler in feeds and that is why they added it.

Now today as we approach $4.00 a bushel for shell corn.......corn isn't so cheap to use for any animal feed....so feed companies may be changing rations again.

For mini's IMHO corn isn't needed.

Thank you everyone for your input ... like I had said at the begining I was curious after seeing a comment about corn in another thread but unable to find the corn thread itself.

I do not know if corn is processed differently here in Ontario then in the States but our local vet, who I called after seeing some of your posts) said she felt the amount I would feed would be fine.

I do not have a problem with them getting some 'heat' off corn as they have to keep warm over some pretty cold nights (tonight we are expecting 45 below 0 with the wind)

However, that said, I think I will just stick with the handful of rolled oats with there mineral and skip the corn.

No use tempting fait !

As for the beet pulp, I have and do use it in a warm mash with veg oil and flax once a week as a treat and coat enhanser.

Thanks again !

Debbie

I feed crimped grain and cracked corn with some black sunflower seeds. (for the last several years)

One large scoop of corn, one large scoop of grain and one cup of black sunflower seeds between 18 horses.

The little metal cup full is what each horse gets. (the total mixture is just over half a pail, the type of pail you would put water in to wash your floor)

I was also going to put a full cup of flax in the mixture, but decided against at the last minute, although it's still in the feed room.

We feed timothy hay and the corn/grain mixture is more like a treat, morning and night.

I have beet pulp as well but thought it was fed as a mash, so I added water, let it sit for a while(the instructions were on the bag, I forget how long) and tried it on a couple of the little ones. They weren't impressed.

I am not totally impressed with the condition of our horses, but what to use other than hay gets pretty confusing, when you hear so many opinions.

I totally here what your saying about the mixed opions making it confusing ....

about the beet pulp ... give them a little while to get use to it and they come to love the mash !!!

At least that is how my guys are. Sometimes I think they just cant wait for the cold nights cause

they know there about to get "the" treat !! LOL

I agree with Kay, corn is unreliable. I just got a horse and the owner brought 1/2 bag of crushed corn for him...I fed it to the longhorn cattle across the road...it's fine for an animal that has the extensive digestive system that cattle have. Back in the 1980's...I remember sweet feed had whole corn in it and you could see whole kernels of corn in our big horses manure.

As the nutritionist from Nutrena Feeds said: Remember...grain products are a SUPPLEMENT....not a meal. They are to supplement the vitamins/minerals...etc that horses miss in their hay. If you keep that in mind...helps understanding what they need or don't need. If you are 'supplementing corn' it'd be like us eating a piece of bread (starch/carb) instead of a vitamin tablet.

Many years ago that was about all farmers fed their animals, horses included, because it was a product they grew and you didn't have to run to the store and purchase feed in the bag for a big price. My father-in-law always fed it to the thoroughbreds he raised. Later, when our girls were young and showing in AQHA, and 4-H, we fed it to their horses. They were always the slickest, fittest animals there. They shed out earlier in the year too. Our corn was ground, cob and all, and additives were put in, to a specific formula grandy had. Later, when the government decided to pay us not to grow corn any longer, we started buying horse feed. Been at a quandry ever since trying to figure out just what to feed. Oh, and Mary Lou, grandy always said the same thing. " Feeding whole corn once in a while keeps the dentist away!", for horses. I am not saying that everyone should run out and buy corn, just stating that a lot of horses were fed corn. Of course, our corn was raised and dried by us, so we knew the condition it was in!

Latest posts

Back