Favorite Horse Related Memory This Year

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jill

Aspiring Cowgirl
Reaction score
What's your favorite horse related memory from this year?

My favorite horse memory was the morning Delight (Bomb Shell's filly) was born. I felt so happy to have her here safe and sound and was so thrilled to be "three for three" in what I hoped for but dared not say out loud (three double dilute fillies). I felt a lot of satisfaction to see H's and my efforts pay off as I'd hoped, and also the relief of now being able to "relax" and just enjoy our horses without worries related to foaling out mares.

What about you folks? What's your favorite horse related memory so far this year?

Delight---04042011---5hrs-old-7.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It had to be when both my mares too me off guard and foaled when they weren't supposed to!

I was not ready. The stall divider was out but I had nothing else ready to foal out the baby.

The camera was not set up and I had been hounding the Hus to please get it up every day. We only had exactly two weeks left until the due date. Finally one morning he told me to get the cams and the little TV and off we went to the barn. It was raining so the horses were inside and I had not even cleaned the stalls yet that morning.

He went up on the ladder in the empty stall next to Glory to rig it up. Glory watched his every move while I groomed her up a bit and braided her tail. I went up front in the aisleway monitoring the little TV saying "to the left, to the right, up, down" until he positioned it correctly. After fooling around with it for about an hour I grabbed the little TV and we went into the house and hooked it up by my desk. Hus turned it on right then and Hus says to me "You better come here!"

"What is she doing?" and son of a gun the baby was hanging out of her! it only takes 1 second to get to the house from the barn so how the heck did she manage keeping this a secret!

Glory had NO signs of labor. NO MILK BAG, nothing. Just out it came. A little tiny healthy filly that was a fat as she could be.

Enter: Glorious Star Flight AKA Double-Wide

GlorysBaby007.jpg

The next blessed event also took my by surprise again being off about 2 and a 1/2 weeks of the due date. Merry Beth was filthy so I gave her a bath and tied her up in the stall with a hay bag to dry while I cleaned stalls. Next thing I knew she was trying to get down but I thought it was to roll due to her bathing. Then I figured it out. This one scared me because the baby was a bit stuck. I was all alone with no help so I called Connie (clp) for help and moral support. Next thing I know the baby fell into my lap and I was adorned head to toe in all the good luscious fluids that come with this event. Oh the aroma.

Enter: Sensational Star Seeker AKA: MerryLee

(Double Wide got her barn name because she was Double the Width of her baby sister at the time).

I was too worried about getting the baby delivered at the time so that's why there is a lack of footage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwXVcBTZC8M

My favorite horse memory this year is when all of my horse pulled up outside my new home after traveling from NJ to FL. I was so worried about them so it was a great feeling to see them safe and back with me.
default_yes.gif

PS. Congrats on your babies!
default_risa8.gif

While it happened 1800 miles away, it was the birth of my one and only foal this year...on May 2, which was also my grandma's 102nd Bday! I had "asked" for a Palomino filly with chrome...and that is what I got!
default_wub.png
default_yes.gif
I was SOOO excited when she was born I was on cloud nine all day!
default_cheeky-smiley-006.gif

I don't even get to "meet" her until Nationals! (Is it September yet??
default_impatient.jpg
)

"Strasslein LVL Charlie's Rosa Bella"

kissfilly6.jpg

101_0179 (1).jpg

My favourite memory for this year would have to be when I took my little colt to a small local Foal and Youngstock Show. He was 7 months old and I had had him for only 2 weeks. He behaved perfectly and was awarded Champion Miniature Pony Foal (out of 4
default_laugh.png
). My favourite bit however was him standing in the ring with his lovely little eyes closed........the little man was so tired. It was so sweet.

tornado_201-Copy.jpg

Mine would have to be this morning Tues 5-6-11!

THE HOLE WAS DUG!

I had been dealing with my sick older horse who I was going to put down this morning after 4 days of him in severe pain and laying and rolling and not able to poop. Banimene, minieral oil, enimas, and other pain meds was not helping and when all else failed and giving up, I gave him one more round of all of the above PLUS a quarter of a bottle of human laxitive. I went to sleep and feared the worse for the morning. The hole was dug and I woke up at 6am to check on him and mentally prepared myself for the worse.

To my surprise he was standing in 8 fresh and HUGE piles of poo in his stall and looking at me with his big brown loving eyes as if he was saying thank you for not giving up on me. He was totaly fine and doing great! My old man will live on to see more days and enjoy living!!!

I have two favorite memories for this year.
default_smile.png
One would be that I have been looking at the ads on lilbeginnings forever (truly mean forever) and found the prettiest colt I had ever seen and really wanted to buy him. Had to ask the husband if I could make this happen and was told "NO" then the next day he handed me the money and told me to buy him if I really wanted him. (this does not happen in real life around our house, normally he is a NO man) Love my hubby.
default_smile.png
Next is this past Sunday I showed this colt and got two first place trophies! Was so happy!! I love this colt.

So far for this year I've gotta go with our foaling season, it was a pretty exciting/highly anticipated one, some many "firsts" that I can't pick just one! lol

We started out with our Doc X Copper cross.. I bought Copper in 2008 with her 08 colt (Royal).. I bred her late to the appy stallion I used to own and unfortunately she came up open in 09. I bred her to Doc for a 2010 baby and she ended up with a persistent CL so we had to lutalyse her and then it was too late to breed back. FINALLY bred her in 2010 to Doc again and she blessed us with a handsome silver bay roan Doc colt in May! I knew this would be a great cross and they didn't disappoint!
default_aktion033.gif
default_wub.png

247639_10150192598194613_224524494612_6934195_3574789_n.jpg

Then, we followed that up with a GORGEOUS doe eyed sorrel filly, a first foal for my junior stallion Royal. I love her!

269412_10150226028364613_224524494612_7210751_6860169_n.jpg

And of course, our foaling season went out with a big bang! THE most exciting event so far. This is Doc's 3rd foal crop, and up until this last foal he was at 6 colts and 0 fillies
default_wacko.png
Boy was I surprised when I checked the sex on this last baby, A FILLY! Our FIRST Doc filly! and yes, I checked at least 3 times, my mom checked and my dad checked! lol A jet black filly, and I think she's stunning
default_wub.png

264094_10150219430579613_224524494612_7136552_7017508_n.jpg

its getting a bald faced overo filly from my recently gelded falabella after 5 years of trying and only getting stars and snips , but winning Champion AMHA Stallion and Champion Open Halter miniature Stallion at the Equifestival of Ireland last weekend comes a close second

027.JPG

272306_2037488308247_1575446977_2037173_2476109_o.jpg

It was in early May when my show horse won her first reserve grand!

100_0654May222011Ribbonsedited.jpg

It would have to be watching my little guy sniff and snort at my newborn in her carseat when he met her for the first time when she was 5 weeks old. I had always hoped Billie would still be around when I had a family of my own! He is going to love her when she is old enough to hold a brush!

Second best was this week when I got the call "Bill didn't eat supper tonight". Uh oh I thought and we made it out there as fast as we could. Must have just been the heat because he finished off his supper with me there watching and then mooched for extra treats and loving and entertained the baby. I was so glad to see he was OK!

I love reading each reply
default_wub.png

There are other smaller "so happy" moments here this year... the birth of our other two fillies, seeing Destiny & DunIT groom each other through a gate, hooking up a mare I haven't driven in ages and have her perform like a well oiled machine, and contemplating our biggest horse news in years
default_biggrin.png

Keep them coming! It's great to hear the many reasons other members have had to smile this year!!!
default_yes.gif

Nothing big, just the small things each day-walking out the back door in the mornings and all the horses look up and see us coming and greet us good morning with their little noises and trot to the barn...or when the weather is changing and they are feeling a little frisky and they chase and rear up at each other and kick and buck-just makes me smile...or after having a rough day, going out to the barn and spending some time with them and the stress melts away!

Mine would have to be watching my girls show and learn as they work with their geldings. I love that we all have this love in common! My favorite memory is standing along the fence watching my daughters show and a woman standing beside me said, "Wow! That buckskin out there is gorgeous!" I was able to turn to her and say, "Thanks! He's ours!"
default_wub.png

Here are some pictures of my girls at their show in May:

224185_2095175902426_1336187099_2447399_3146653_n.jpg

228000_2095152541842_1336187099_2447359_1592204_n.jpg

-After a devastating loss to begin my foaling season, when my last foal was born with no problems it was such a relief! And then as soon as he was up steadly on four legs, his mama knows exactly how to position herself for the first "drink." It always warms my heart.
default_wub.png

Spring.colt2.4-12-11-458x342.jpg

-Second was meeting the Sisters & Mother Marija at Carmelites' Mini Corral, seeing all their horses, and bringing Blues home!
default_biggrin.png

Well my favourite horse related memory this year was getting a phone call from Appartment 11 Productions in Montreal asking if they could use a mini or 2 for a new childrens show they were doing that will air this fall. I of course said yes. A week before filming they sent me a script and I found out that I also was in the episode. YIKES! In May Sky, her colt Rocky, my husband and I went to Montreal for the big day. The minis were a huge hit with the cast and crew. I was so nervous I made a few mistakes. Had fun though and cannot wait to see the finished results in the fall.
default_biggrin.png

Also so far have had a great foaling season, got to see my appy stallions first foals which I have been very pleased with. Also bought a new stallion, a gorgeous black pinto with 2 blue eyes as well as a few new mini mares.

Without a doubt, for us, it was the arrival of Zaky.

The long awaited colt from Zee and Zoe.

We love all his sisters but he is one special boy, to us.

He is so friendly. He stops nursing, the minute he sees

you, to come over for attention. He's going to be just like

Daddy, just the way we hoped he'd be.

SV300043.jpg

Lovely stories everyone!!!!

Shana: Please let us know if you find there's a way to share the end result!

wingnut they are supposed to let me know when it will air and after it airs they are sending me a copy of the episode.

It's been a kinda odd year and I didn't make it to any of the shows I intended to so Big Moments are limited so far. That has definitely made me appreciate the Little Moments though! The way Kody whinnies long and loud the minute he hears my voice through a window in the morning and Turbo, while silent, presses himself up against the fence with such a speaking look he might as well be hollering for me.

The first time I attached reins to Turbo's bit and after just a moment he got it like a finished driving horse and was doing lateral moves off rein cues.
default_wub.png

Having Kody back out at competitions under harness and OH! having him win a high point award against all size horses his first time out at Happ's since his back injury. I forgot about that!
default_wub.png
That little horse never fails to amaze me with his heart.

Having a local trainer (she knows who she is!) send me a note after the one show I did manage to attend telling me that even though I hadn't done well, she wanted me to know she thought I'd done a really professional job of turning out my horse and she'd been impressed.
default_wub.png
That made my whole freakin' week.

Training both my horses to hop in and out of the trailer at liberty, and Kody suddenly overcoming his reluctance about it just to make me happy and to prove that anything Turbo can do, he can do better.
default_rolleyes.gif

Watching the boys learn to work together and start forming bonds of affection. I got a major kick the other day out of having them both trot ahead of me at liberty, a hand on each hip like I was Roman Riding, and getting them to turn a corner together just off voice command. The way they both locked into me, Turbo slowing down and self-collecting at my request with his poll arched and Kody lengthening stride to stay even with him and nobody pinning ears or shoving each other made me grin! It's an amazing high to see all my training come to fruition like that!
default_aktion033.gif

Nothing gives me such a feeling of pure joy as being out with the boys and seeing how eager they are to learn. I love those guys!
default_wub.png
default_wub.png
default_wub.png
They're my medicine against all the tough times the family has had this year.

Leia

Back