Fallen Crests -- Hereditary?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SampleMM

Reaction score
I think it may be inherited and here's why. I have three horses with fallen crests. Two are brother and sister both have fallen crests. So, I gelded the stallion and never used the mare. The other is an uncle to these two so very closely related and he too has a fallen crest. I gelded him as well. I certainly don't want to be passing those type of genes around! Any thoughts?

I agree that in certain lines it is genetic but have seen some that was due to poor care and the horse has never passed on a heavy neck. This particular horse was allowed to get severely over weight and then later a new owner dropped his weight too fast causing it to fall when otherwise it might not have. Has several foals and none with bad necks. I think its a bit of a case by case type of thing.

I think it is definitely hereditary and then there are some cases like Melinda's example. A very large issue is that people so heavily sweat their horse's necks for showing and then when the showing is done the horses get incredibly thick, but they're still bred because they did well in the ring. It's crazy seeing what some of the show horses look like out of the ring and in pasture.

http://english.kfps.nl/Nieuws.aspx?NewsId=1520

The first cause for a fallen crest may be the occurrence of inflammation of fat tissues, steatitis, in young horses. The crest has a fair amount of fat deposits. Inflammation in these fat deposits produces connective tissues. The tendency for a weak crest thereby is formed at a young age but will start to show at a later age when the connective tissues lose their elasticity. Fat disease is considered to be an expression of deficiencies in antioxidants, especially vitamin E and selenium deficiency. In this light it is crucial that young horses have a sufficient intake of vitamins and minerals. Another contributing factor could be obesity in horses when too much fat tissue is stored in the crest. If the horse is subsequently put on a diet and the fat tissue is reduced, what remains is weak connective tissue.’ Sensitivity to specific disorders is genetically defined. A horse may have a hereditary disposition for developing a fallen crest. But as long as the horse doesn’t suffer from obesity or, due to good nutrition doesn’t develop fat disease, the problem will not occur. We have reason to believe that environmental factors may play a role since it has been established that there is a higher occurrence of fallen crests in countries with warmer climates. It has not been determined in what way climatic or nutritional circumstances are involved. That makes it difficult to include this characteristic in the selection of stallions, even more so because the phenomenon will show at an advanced age. A fallen crest is not a life-threatening disorder and doesn’t affect a horses performance. If the occurrence of such a blemish would lead to the disapproval of a stallion, this particular stallion´s positive contribution to breeding would be lost. - See more at: http://english.kfps.nl/Nieuws.aspx?NewsId=1520#sthash.u36q6qM8.dpuf

I've seen lots of Andalusians with fallen crests... And then passed within the lines. I'm positive in some cases it can be hereditary. No sense in breeding that. I'm sure it can occur for medical reasons of course... But I've seen both mares and stallions with it and it's just no good.

I think it can also be caused by weight gain and sudden weight loss. The neck crests up from fatty deposits, and when rich food is no longer available (like in the winter or when the horse is being conditioned or placed on a diet) fat and muscle are lost and can no longer hold the weight of the mane. If you do not thin the mane of some minis the weight can be too much and will cause the crest to fall. I believe very much that is the cause. I had one gelding who had a very heavy mane whose crest had fallen. I vote conditional.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting topic... I'm concerned about a 3 year old gelding of mine. I'm going to start researching his family along with researching other causes & helpful tips....

I guess in the question of heredity is the fallen crest heritable or is the propensity not to metabolize certain minerals, so a metabolic issue like insulin resistance? Not that it really matters in the end...also for example Michigan is has selenium deficient soil so hay/grain grown here would also be deficient...can the tendency appear in genetic lines because they are on the same farm eating the same thing, not because of genetics??....just some thoughts

I also think you're right about insulin resistance. Geldings and mares are more likely to have a fallen crest AND insulin resistance. Almost anyone can develop insulin resistance if they don't maintain a consistent weight.

I had a horse I bought as a weanling. He ate the same as everyone else always has at my place. He was never grossly overweight and we dont have selenium deficiencies here... When he turned about 5 if I remember, his crest started to fall some. He didnt have a huge fat neck- not a pencil neck either, but not something I would have expected to fall. So dont know why he did, but he did. So, I would have to lean towards possibly something hereditary, though I feel it could be for a variety of reasons.

From what I have read the damage to the tissue is actually done when the horse is very young and only shows up later.

Maggie was heading for a fallen crest. She is not over weight, had the Vet do a thorough check up... everything came back normal.

However, in her case,,, her mane is super, super thick and long! Would make any horse jealous.
This also happens in some Icelandic's. Horse's manes are sooo thick, they pull a horse's crest over.

I would either spend the time, splitting her mane, to do a double mane and keeping it braided... or Roaching it. Ended up keeping her mane roached and she is a lot happier for it.
Her crest is still normal, due to the roaching and she is 18 years old now.

If it were a heavy mane or caused by insulin resistance or inconsistent condition, I def. could see how that could be hereditary, though. Good observation, Debbie!
default_thumbup.gif
Discouraging when it happens to our horses!
default_thumbdown.gif

Latest posts

Back