Expecting a foal.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minister man

Reaction score
I have a 34" mare that was bred June 9,10,11, and 12th last year. Picking the 9th, see is 304 days. When should I move her to the bedded down foaling box by herself?

This past Sunday, I felt her udder and for the first time I could feel a change in it. Checked it this morning and it is quiet a bit more pronounced than it was then, but still two distinct halves, not filled out yet.

I currently have her and last year's foal together (they were apart for months, before I put them together in an 8x12 stall. I am guessing it is time to take him out just in case?

Calculate from last breeding date, and put her in her foaling stall at day 300, and start waiting. Yes, it would be a good idea to separate last year's foal at the same time, but perhaps in an adjoining stall or paddock, so he's still around to keep her company.

Ok, thanks,

I looked back to last year and she had about the same amount of udder on April 21, and foaled on May 9th. But she was a maiden then, so I wasn't sure if she would be a shorter time this year or about the same.

I can't seem to find anyone with straw for sale. hay and straw is really scarce this year because of last summers weather. I can get all kinds of shavings, but most of the people on line don't recommend shavings in the foaling box. What about peat moss? I know some people use if for bedding, but what about in a foaling situation? Last year the mare foaled outside in a paddock that is just dirt, but That was because she foaled in the day time while she was outside.

If you have access to shredded paper it would be better than peat moss, I am not partial to the peat moss in my humble opinion. If you have to use fine shavings you could mist them with water to hold down the dust for the event. I used to use straw on top of the large cut shavings as the shavings absorb so well. You are being such a good caretaker! Wish you luck.

Last edited:
Ok, for now I will keep her on a good depth of shavings until I find straw. I would just use hay but it is extremely expensive and hard to come by right now. That devise the price of straw up too, because I think some of the beef producers feed some of their straw as a fiber filler.

Great news...….. I was able to buy 2 square bales of straw today. I will have to not waste it...…. but better than none. I am going to put the shavings in the bottom with the straw on top, then try to keep the manure cleaned up out of the straw to keep it clean longer.

Today is day 314 and still no foal, but her udder is filled right out rounded. Her teats are still flat. I brushed a lot of shedding hair out of her last night, she seemed to really like that.

I called the vets office yesterday to see what it would cost to geld the yearling, and they said between 300-400.00 Wow. Miniature horses around here sell for 500-800. I was really surprised that it cost that much.

I have been trying REALLY hard not to get too excited too early...…. but I think I failed at that.....

I am thinking KIP for a colt but not sure what to name a filly...…… never had a filly before...… I am thinking either WILLOW, or OCEAN, I just don't know, lol

I called the vets office yesterday to see what it would cost to geld the yearling, and they said between 300-400.00 Wow. Miniature horses around here sell for 500-800. I was really surprised that it cost that much.
Now you know why there are so many intact colts available. Gelding is $125-200 depending on the vet for basic gelding, cryptorchid surgery is much higher.

That quote was from the provincial Agriculture vets. They are subsidized for farm animals but horses are not farm animals. They told me that it is 210.00 per hour plus a 90.00 professional fee, plus the drugs that were needed.

I called a private vet and they said the surgery is 200.00, plus an 85$ fee to come to our house, and 30 -50 for drugs. OR I can take him there are save the farm fee, but they like to have him stay the day before surgery and the day after at 22$ a day. Not much cheaper.

I have been trying REALLY hard not to get too excited too early...…. but I think I failed at that.....

I am thinking KIP for a colt but not sure what to name a filly...…… never had a filly before...… I am thinking either WILLOW, or OCEAN, I just don't know, lol
I have A Willow and a Molly. I like them both. Kip is cute and I like Bolt too.

That quote was from the provincial Agriculture vets. They are subsidized for farm animals but horses are not farm animals. They told me that it is 210.00 per hour plus a 90.00 professional fee, plus the drugs that were needed.

I called a private vet and they said the surgery is 200.00, plus an 85$ fee to come to our house, and 30 -50 for drugs. OR I can take him there are save the farm fee, but they like to have him stay the day before surgery and the day after at 22$ a day. Not much cheaper.
I have a mini donkey that I'd like to geld. I paid $50 for him when he was a year old and he was quite rambunctious. Now that he's 2, he's much calmer and so sweet I got an estimate of $200 for him includes coming to my house.

The mare's name is Ginger, if she has a filly they would make a nice team of mares..... then I am thinking of naming her "nutmeg". Then the team would be ginger and nutmeg

In spain they don't geld horses they have stallions and use them together. I would like to know what they do different. They don't use a heavy hand or a loud voice, and the word stallion doesn't hold the stigma there that is has here. I thought that was interesting.

Don't be saddened by the fact that the foal is late, she is just taking her time. She is like me. She just doesn't want to get out of her nice cozy bed! :);):p Definitely keep us posted we are all just as exited:D.

Don't be discouraged, you are in the home stretch. She is really not 'late', every day now your foal is maturing and getting stronger. You have done great for about a year, stay excited!

Unfortunately, there is no "happily ever after" to conclude this story..... The foal has arrived, but he didn't make it..... He was born in a really strange position that even the vet said was a new one for her. So we were up all night, a 250.00 Vet bill and a dead foal, but it seems that the mare is going to be ok. The vet said she would have been dead by morning if I hadn't checked on her in the night. oh yeah, she foaled on day 319.

Latest posts

Back