Exasperated with my neighbor

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minimor

Reaction score
Our next door neighbor is an older lady that really likes animals, especially dogs. She comes over to the fence to visit the Minis, and she brings along treats for our dog. That's okay; Sheba is 8 years old and well trained, so she knows the rules. She'll go over to the property line, down the fence line to where the neighbor is standing, take her treat & turn around & come back home.

Now we have this puppy, whom we've named Binky by the way. So far she has been a real good puppy, but this woman is making it difficult now. Binky is confined when we are inside, and she is loose while we are out in the yard or doing chores. I always tell my neighbors that if our puppy comes over to see them, paddle her butt & send her home but of course they won't do it. The other day this lady came over to the fence line so Sheba went over for her treat, with Binky following. The lady made over the puppy then went home. Puppy followed. She wouldn't get after her & send her home, and with her fussing over the pup, Binky wouldn't listen to me at all. I called her twice, then went over silently, smacked her on the butt & she raced for home. Neighbor lady thought I was the meanest thing going. Binky on the other hand was fine with it--she got the point. Later the neighbor lady was in the tree line between our places. Binky went to her, I called her & she came back. No problem. Yesterday, here comes the neighbor lady again, her hands full of treats for both dogs. Binky thought that was wonderful, and was all set to follow her home. She totally wouldn't listen to me when I called her, so I had to go over & chase her back to the barnyard. Neighbor figures she is just a little puppy & doesn't need to be trained anything. Ya, then pretty soon she's a 100 lb Rottie that roams around the neighbors' yards & won't listen to us at all...ungh.

Last night, here comes neighbor lady again, over to the fence line, so Binky has to go for her treat then she stays there hoping for more until she sees me coming--then she ran for her life back to the yard. I'm totally fed up. This puppy training was going so well, and now she has to keep coming over & putting a snag in it. It wouldn't be so bad if she'd not give treats unless she comes right into the yard to do it, then help out by sending Binky home when she's going to leave our yard. This lady is a little thick; she means well, but she just doesn't get it. Now with her coming over several times a day, we're going to have to keep Binky tied up when we're doing chores or working around the horses at certain times of the day--it's the only way she's going to not go over for her treats. After dark she can be loose, because the neighbor isn't around then.... It does no good to tell this woman to not give the pup any treats, because she'll just sneak them to her.

This lady used to have a siberian husky that would take off any time it got loose. So, she figures that any dog that will come within 10 or 15 minutes of being called is perfectly okay. She can't understand why when I call a dog I expect it to come to me instantly--having it wander up to me 15 minutes later isn't acceptable, but like I said, she just doesn't "get" dog training.

This same woman ruined a puppy I had a couple years ago. My mom was laid up after knee surgery, so the neighbor was coming over to help me with chores. I had a boxer cross puppy that seemed to be working out real well. The one night I had sent him out of the corral after one of the big horses nearly stepped on him. He went & sat outside the gate & waited while we were distributing hay. Well, neighbor felt sorry for him, so she left the hay & went to make over him. He was a smart pup & that was all it took--from that moment on he figured he did not need to listen to me, because he had her to fuss over him--if I told him something he'd just look at me & go to her--it was just amazing how quick he figured that one out. He wouldn't listen to me at all. With her coming over daily at that time trying to train that pup was a thankless job--I gave up on it & resold it.

Just a few days ago my mom commented on how the neighbor is never around any more, and it's nice that she doesn't come around to ruin this puppy......last night she said she guesses she shouldn't even have thought that--because she jinxed us!! Training this puppy would be sooo much easier without the neighbor...

Thanks for letting me vent!!

Boy the only thing that I would think might work would be invisible fencing and/or a shock collar and I know they wouldn't be very popular and what a pain in the ***.

Sorry some people have nothing better to do! It is that way sometimes with children there are people that seem to delight in leading them astray.

Maybe you will have better luck with this dog getting them to listen to you?

Good luck!

Liz

Yes, I'm thinking a shock collar is what we need. I wish I knew someone to borrow one from for a couple weeks. They are so darn expensive and for what little we would use it I hate to buy one. I'm not keen on invisible fencing; for one thing, our dog is expected to chase foxes when one comes around here, and since chasing foxes may involve making a quick dash across the neighbor's back field, invisible fencing is no good. Our dog must know to stay on our property, but she must also know that chasing foxes (particularly if there is a cat to be saved in the process!) means the usual rules don't apply. We expect a lot from our dogs; our old Sheba knows all the rules so well, and I'm sure hoping that Binky can learn them too.

This morning we were out in the yard with a horse & Binky heard the neighbor lady over in her yard (this lady has a distinctive voice, loud & very much has a German accent) & she just lit out. Mom gave a roar & Binky actually stopped & came back, so that was good. Had the neighbor been in sight at the fence line though, the pup wouldn't have stopped. I'm just going to have to tell her, no treats for Binky until further notice. Should have done that the first time around but I'm a wuss. It will be easier to do now that I'm an annoyed wuss.

Latest posts

Back