Everyone is always asking me.....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stormy

Reaction score
Heck if I know what color he is, has a dark dorsal, is brown in the winter with dark brown points, kind of mousey grey with dark points clipped. What is he?? Dam is a grey so don't know what is hiding there, sire is black and white pinto (not homozygous for black)

In show coat

IMG_1950.jpg

In winter coat

Crop3.jpg

I don't know, but would you send him to Kentucky?
default_wub.png

He looks like "a man" and uses himself pretty well with what he was given.

He is Grulla (Black Dun)....he may be Grulla Roan, it is hard to tell form pictures.

He does not have to have leg bars to be Dun, btw, often they do, often they do not.

Grulla's, because it is seen as a "primitive" colour are expected to have them, but none of mine have ever done so!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd say Grullo........just by looking. Love his leg action.

But I thought Grullo was black based, he is chocolate brown. And he is really brown, not sun faded.

No leg stripes, just dorsal.

I have two grullas that are a smoky dark brownish color, it is possible for a grulla to be brownish. Mine have all the primitive markings, shoulder stripes, leg bars, dorsal. I also have a silver grulla that is brownish based. In the miniatures, their colors can be strange, and hard to pin down as you know!

look up: http://www.ultimatehorsesite.com/colors/dun.html If he has no shoulder marks or leg bars, perhaps he is a form of dun.

Whatever he is, boy can he move!

I have two grullas that are a smoky dark brownish color, it is possible for a grulla to be brownish. Mine have all the primitive markings, shoulder stripes, leg bars, dorsal. I also have a silver grulla that is brownish based. In the miniatures, their colors can be strange, and hard to pin down as you know!look up: http://www.ultimatehorsesite.com/colors/dun.html If he has no shoulder marks or leg bars, perhaps he is a form of dun.

Whatever he is, boy can he move!

Yes, Grullo is black based.............Grullo/Grulla is a Black Dun.

The common description is a mousy color: gray/brown with a darker mane/tail, dark points. It should also show a dorsal. The leg baring and shoulder stripes are a primitive marking and don't always happen.

his winter coat looks like my smutty buckskin boy.

This is his summer coat (unclipped)

romeomay09.jpg

He is not roan at all but from the web site posted I guess he does class as Grullo, hummmm. How about this girl then??

shine030.jpg

shine033.jpg

I think she might be a silver grulla? Pretty girl as is the grullo in your other pic!!!
default_wub.png
:wub Are they related?

Hmmmmmn. I have a mare that looks exactly like the above horse. I call her a yellow dun with primitive marks. I never thought about calling her grulla! All points chocolate, the dorsal is the same deep chocolate.

On second thought, I am sticking with yellow dun, as her sire was a cremello, and dam a grulla.

Latest posts

Back