engaging the hind end

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norah

Reaction score
Hi ,

I have some conformational questions , and wondered if some of you could suggest some things :

1 . Mare

2 . 4 years 3 months

3. prior training history " dont know " melinda doon was showing her , and she lunges nicely) turns her head inward towards the circle , dont know iff thats because she had a training device straped on her or if she is looking for a cue to stop and have a cookie. clockwise is harder for her then counter clockwise

what I have done in the year that i have had her :

pasture , which is on a 10 -40 percent slope , 3 different levels ... this has built her shoulder up nicely as if she were driving. anda bit of light lunging more or less just to remind her of who is boss . She has learned to trot slowely , and to walk on a lunge line , and i have taken her over a few small jumps

here is my question.... right above the hip , on her back in the dead center is a lump . No chiropractic available here in the mountains... her back end is not very interesting , her hind legs feel more like they are following the front , but there is very little action in those back legs . they are not extending enough, know what i mean... however in a liberty class her movement in all 4 legs is just beautiful , powerful , and i couldnt be happier .

Should I wait on this lump , try massage (equine) , get some more expierenced oppinions from some breeders near by first ,the vet here is a cattle vet , sorry but he wouldnt know very much as all horses in the 2 hour area are just pet pasture horses, and he thinks i am neurotic enough . i tend to be a worrier , and the confirmation could be just fine , all she needs is a bit of work over cavaletties ..... what would be a reasonible , non neurotic thing to do ?part of me wants to try her over poles , and get her thinking about those hind legs , and the other part of me thinks , what if there really is a problem and you make it worse by doing that ... I love having my horseys at home but it really s**** not having other horse people here to say , krissy your being a Freak , relax , she just needs this or that ...

I think people can't judge whether she looks like she has an issue without a picture of what you are describing. If you can post a picture someone might be able to help. I say might of course because pictures don't always tell the full story either. I suspect if she moves fine at liberty there is nothing really wrong that the right work won't help but I can't see the lump you described so am just guessing.

I say at least talk to the vet about it, really hard to help without actually being there.

As far as turning in to face you during lounging my horses are taught that way. No treat or device they are just taught to disengage their hindquarters to face you, its a sign of respect so it's not a bad thing.

here is my question.... right above the hip , on her back in the dead center is a lump . No chiropractic available here in the moShould I wait on this lump , try massage (equine) , get some more expierenced oppinions from some breeders near by first ,the vet here is a cattle vet , sorry but he wouldnt know very much as all horses in the 2 hour area are just pet pasture horses, and he thinks i am neurotic enough . i tend to be a worrier , and the confirmation could be just fine , all she needs is a bit of work over cavaletties ..... what would be a reasonible , non neurotic thing to do ?part of me wants to try her over poles , and get her thinking about those hind legs , and the other part of me thinks , what if there really is a problem and you make it worse by doing that ... I love having my horseys at home but it really s**** not having other horse people here to say , krissy your being a Freak , relax , she just needs this or that ...
I took my mare for chiropractic session and she has a raised area on her vertebrae, which may be what you describe. It has a name, which I can't remember and it is abbreviated on my sheet so I can't tell you what it is for sure, but it is something to do with calcification. I then asked the vet about it. It is not a serious concern, is my understanding, especially if the horse is not going to be ridden.

How do her feet look? Are the hooves wearing evenly? Flares or other obvious conditions? That could tell you a lot about her fitness from the hoof growth.

I know what you mean about "cow vets"--their business is livestock for owners' livelihood. But I think many of them learn to appreciate our worrying and begin to take us seriously, once they realize we care about our little horses the same way dog and cat owners do--not as comodities but as companion animals.

Latest posts

Back