Edelweiss Training Journal

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just binge read your whole training journal, and I absolutely love it, and want to start one of my own when my ponies arrive! Keep up the good work! 💕🐴
Thank you! Yes, please do start a journal!

Sky is beautiful, I love me a plan dark bay with no white!
I love bays too! Red bays with chrome are my favorite but dark bays are pretty stunning too. She is a perfect match with Gaston.
_MG_8387.JPG

Speaking of red bays, Trooper is doing well in the backsaddle. Started in hunter now too, I think he'll be my versatility horse next year. Gaston has been here since July and even though he gets intermittent work and is still in basic groundwork, I started him in harness today. With some horses, you just feel that they are ready and he was. He was perfect. Next time I will introduce the bridle and from there will ground drive and work on collection until I can get a bigger cart to fit him.

The bridle for Sally looks like a very nice fit. Glad she is coming along.
The bay, Sky, is gorgeous. I am partial to bays.
Sorry for the delayed response! Yes, I was surprised at how well it fit. It is just a basic A size leather bridle.

As of the day after my last post, when I meant to reply, Sally is holding contact at a trot. Have been just doing more of the same since then, building her confidence. She is back to waiting in obstacle which is great! She has really come a long way. I just realized recently that when I harness her, I just do it, no need to go slow and avoid sudden movements anymore with that.

Some pictures from yesterday. We are enjoying amazing weather!
_MG_8518.JPG_MG_8516.JPG
313048387_181180151152127_5924124604468656676_n.jpg

IMG_20221025_161900.jpgIMG_20221025_170950.jpg
Brief update on some of the driving horses!
Sally is starting to show true collection and form at the trot. I'll introduce her to the cart soon. This picture is from one of the first days that we started trotting, but as you can see, she was doing well enough for me to hold the reins with one hand and take a picture.
She is reaching intermediate level in obstacle, much more flexible and patient, and her sidepass is approaching the finished positions.
Trooper has just started ground driving in full harness. Not well enough for me to take a picture lol, but he is coming along.
Everyone else is doing well and we are trying to make the most of these final days of true Fall weather! Starting to fill in my calendar for the shows we will plan on training for next year.

How are the ponies doing? We need an update 😁❤️
Not much to update but I can always share some pictures! Sold my cart so everyone is just ground driving. Gaston is ground driving now though. Our first CDE should be in May, if we are ready. Actually a DT (Driving Trial) which is a slightly more condensed version and thus a bit more beginner friendly. Still a challenge though!
Diamond and the puppy are getting big. Diamond is probably around 31-32" now which still feels tiny to me but she has definitely grown!
PSX_20221130_105827.jpg
PSX_20221130_104402.jpg
_MG_8861.JPG
316948529_189113897025419_6906713079248187096_n.jpg

316268718_189114067025402_4340724225257957865_n.jpg

317343993_189114193692056_931176996605011571_n.jpg

A gorgeous area Edelweiss and so are your minis!

Your Spring driving goals sound both fun and challenging!
Thank you!!

I am looking forward to it! I have a good idea of our show schedule now.

My new cart arrived today so I will be starting horses soon!

Had a wonderful session with Sally yesterday and she initiated contact. It was so beautiful to see her downward reach to establish contact. She stayed very consistent at a walk, not quite as much at a trot, but she's figuring it out. Transitions are our friend and headset is starting to improve as well. She's been in training for 5 months now. Some can do it faster, but I much prefer taking the time to teach them to understand true collection.

Sally sounds like a honey, you must enjoy working with her. I enjoy reading your posts, you take me back to my younger years and my own training sessions! ;)

A new cart is a pretty exciting delivery! I’d have to park it in the living room and hang Christmas lights on it! 😂
She is pretty special! Not a very friendly mare, can't say that I blame her after what she went through, but she enjoys work and that is what matters. She trusts me but I am still hoping that she'll like me one day.
I'm glad you enjoy the posts! I love working with my horses.
I don't think this cart would fit through the front door for that! 😅
314810777_896740138003506_1542722212383125669_n.jpg
315095090_817633242800151_6130891065910802667_n.jpg

These are from the seller.
319645622_672453374354937_1389414966249734391_n.jpg

And I had to get a closeup of those beautiful wheels. I was just going to use it for training, but after seeing it in person, I want to add a spindle seat and use it for pleasure shows. It is hard to find a spindle seat though, so we'll see how that goes.

Beautiful pics 😍
Thank you!

Are bigger wheels, lighter to pull?
I would love to be on that cart driving. That's really beautiful, I agree.

I agree, What a beautiful cart!
Thank you! Too cold this week, hoping I'll get a chance to try it next week.
Are bigger wheels, lighter to pull?
I would love to be on that cart driving. That's really beautiful, I agree.
Yes, from a physics standpoint, they are easier. I researched that before I got it as I have never had such big wheels. Most training carts have 20-24" wheels and these are 34". Larger wheels are obviously easier to roll over sticks, grass etc, but they also have better traction and are better for taking corners at high speeds which is perfect for cones. The only con is that they require more energy to start and stop due to the increases and decreases of friction, hence breeching will always be needed with this cart. That is only very slight though. Once it is moving, it will be 2x easier to turn.

Though y'all might appreciate this comparison. Gaston last week vs when I got him. Granted the bottom picture isn't a great one of him but I think you can see a difference in topline and overall condition even in his winter coat.
PSX_20221215_204959.jpg
I love this horse. He has such a good brain and he is just stunning.
_MG_9089.JPG
Sally is still ground driving and doing extremely well. I drive her with constant contact now and she doesn't want to be without it. Working on straightness, getting a bit of headset now, and lots of transitions to develop impulsion and keep good contact at the trot. A lot of that is best done in the cart though. I think she is nearly ready to hitch.
She is also turning into a wonderful little obstacle horse as well. Much more consistent about waiting and less fidgety. For all her apparent timidity, she does trust me and nothing really fazes her. Getting more excited for show season!
I am going to the CAA (Carriage Assoc of America) Convention and Meeting in January. They are going to have some wonderful clinics about driving and I am looking forward to them.

Thank you! Too cold this week, hoping I'll get a chance to try it next week.

Yes, from a physics standpoint, they are easier. I researched that before I got it as I have never had such big wheels. Most training carts have 20-24" wheels and these are 34". Larger wheels are obviously easier to roll over sticks, grass etc, but they also have better traction and are better for taking corners at high speeds which is perfect for cones. The only con is that they require more energy to start and stop due to the increases and decreases of friction, hence breeching will always be needed with this cart. That is only very slight though. Once it is moving, it will be 2x easier to turn.

Though y'all might appreciate this comparison. Gaston last week vs when I got him. Granted the bottom picture isn't a great one of him but I think you can see a difference in topline and overall condition even in his winter coat.
View attachment 48834
I love this horse. He has such a good brain and he is just stunning.
View attachment 48835
Sally is still ground driving and doing extremely well. I drive her with constant contact now and she doesn't want to be without it. Working on straightness, getting a bit of headset now, and lots of transitions to develop impulsion and keep good contact at the trot. A lot of that is best done in the cart though. I think she is nearly ready to hitch.
She is also turning into a wonderful little obstacle horse as well. Much more consistent about waiting and less fidgety. For all her apparent timidity, she does trust me and nothing really fazes her. Getting more excited for show season!
I am going to the CAA (Carriage Assoc of America) Convention and Meeting in January. They are going to have some wonderful clinics about driving and I am looking forward to them.
Wow, he is beautiful and I love his name.

Wow, he is beautiful and I love his name.
Thanks....I do too!

Finally got a chance to try out the new cart yesterday. Amigo is 34" and that is about the smallest I'll go with it. It rides pretty smoothly and looks nice even without a spindle seat being added yet.
Note: He is not wearing a carriage harness but it does a decent job for routine training right now. Would never use it for anything like marathon training though.
Screenshot_20221220-185904.png
Screenshot_20221220-190619.png

Latest posts

Back