Eagle isn't well

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He has had meds and is now munching on his hay,

Temp, pulse, respiration all in the norm. I have him on cam so i will keep watching him. The vet is coming first thing in the morning.

Please keep him in your prayers. Thanks
I've been thinking of your guy. How did it go with the vet?

Last edited by a moderator:
Still saying prayers for sweet Eagle and sending you huge (((HUGS)))) Renee.
default_wub.png

Please let us know how it went with the vet as soon as you can.

Thanks everyone for your kind support, it makes me feel less alone in this darn country.

O.K so 1 vet called back and said to give him 1 Ranitidina tablet 300 ml g 3 times a day and gastrogard 1 a day

2 vet turned up at 15.30 and gave him 5cc of Ranitidina 50ml g in vein and left another syringe ready for tonight plus prescription for Gastrogard.

So my question is, should I buy Ranitidina 300ml g or 50 ml g??

Can someone help please.

I have started the gastrogard so I hope he feels better soon.

thanks Renee and Eagle

I certainly hope you can figure out what his problem is, it is so stressful when one feels so helpless. Continued thoughts and prayers headed your way.

When I was using ranitidine, it was the 'human' version, which had become available OTC in the 150 milligram (mg)size. For a 225 lb., 33 1/2" mini, I gave 5 of the 150 mg tabs each dose at 8 hour intervals...so at 6 AM, 2 PM, and 10 PM. I *think* the 'veterinary' version of ranitidine *may* be 300 mg. tabs, so if you can easily obtain it so that you just have to use one tablet, that's probably the simplest, easiest way. You can dissolve it in warm water, add a bit of applesauce in a dose syringe to administer.

You can also use human omeprazole(the active ingredient in that expensive Gastroguard); on vet's advice, I gave 5 human doses(small tablets)ONE TIME per day in a single dose, adminiatered via a 'fat', long(I got my daughter to grab a few for me when she went to the movie theater)soda straw, using the straw like a balling gun and using a strong 'puff' of air to 'blow' the tabs way back into the back of the mouth,while using a mouth speculum to hold the teeth apart. You can also use a dose syringe and dissolve the tabs, but it is VERY bitter, so needs something with it, like applesauce, to 'cut' that bitterness and make it easier for the horse to accept.

I have had long and sad experience w/ severe and persistent ulcers(almost certainly not just in the stomach, but also in the hindgut); but if caught and treated early, properly,and long enough, and with proper feed and care management changes, the prognosis can be excellent. Best wishes to you and your little guy!!

Margo

Margo thank you for your help, I am sure we can get human omeprazole here but time was ticking on and the vet wasn't sure so I went and bought a box of gastrogard (7 syringes) so i hope that will treat him for long enough. I have hooked up my trailer and I am going to take him up the road to be weighed tomorrow. It is literally just up the road where the farmers go to weigh their tractors so I hope it doesn't upset him. I want to be sure I give him the perfect dose. I have also cleaned up the pen next to his and I am going to bring home my yearling so he has company, again I hope that doesn't upset him but I will watch and evaluate.

The vet said to cut out his hard food and just give him plenty of soaked hay, at least for the next 3 days and then slowly start it back.

I will keep you updated.

thanks again everyone for your prayers

Glad you got the meds, wishing you and Eagle all the best, hopefully he will seem a bit better soon. x

So glad that at last you have been able to get some advice and help Renee.

I have no idea about doses for ulcer treatment, so I will just send ((((HUGS)))) and continue to say prayers for both you and Eagle.
default_wub.png

Hugs.

I know I don't post much, I don't really have anything to add
default_sad.png

But you and Eagle are in my thoughts.

Sounds like you have gotten great advice Renee and I will keep everything crossed and say a prayer for little Eagle.

Sounds like you will have him on the road to recover and he will be back to himself in now time.

Renee-

I agree with what Diane said - be sure and treat him for a long time. I may have already posted this, but didn't go back to look. I had a mare scoped by Dr Porter from the University of Florida and she did in fact have a very large stomach ulcer (she had been treated for colic many times). Anyway, he told me 4 weeks of a full dose of gastroguard and 2 weeks of a half dose. No sweet feed ever. She has been very healthy for at least 4 years now. I wish you the very best of luck with Eagle.

Barbie

glad that vet finally came out Renee!! and you are able to start the healing process for Eagle!

hope he went well with the weighing trip, and he handles his new friend arlight
default_smile.png

thoughts and prayers are with you my friend!
default_wub.png

Really hoping things get much better for Eagle VERY soon. Poor guy!

So glad you got a diagnosis you can treat. The one thing to remember with ulcers, is that you need to treat them for a long period of time. The horse may act much better, but it's important to treat them long enough to really clear them up!

As Margo said, I would also vote for the 300 mg tablet, and crush it. I mix mine in Maalox, and just syringe it in the 3x per day. It's best if you can keep the dosage times 8 hours apart -- as it keeps a steady dose in the system and does its work properly.

I'm so happy that Eagle will be feeling better soon.
default_aktion033.gif
And Gastrogard is expensive, so I also use the cheaper, human version and make adjustments for the dosage. But I still crush it, mix it in the Mint flavored Maalox (which my horses seem to like) and just dose it in the back of their mouths.
I would think the Maalox would buffer the effect of the Gastrogard and the carafate? I have mixed carafate with applesauce or a bit of molasses, but never with a buffering medication. Just curious about using the Maalox, I guess.

I missed whether or not Eagle was on Carafate, but if he is, it has to be given at least 30 minutes before antacid medication like prolosec, zantac, gastrogard, etc. Carafate requires stomach acid to work, and needs to be given on an empty stomach. My vet has me giving 3grams of carafate three times daily, and gastrogard once daily.

He is on Ranitidina and Gastrogard. He is eating wet hay three times a day.

I am going to buy Ranitidina in tablets when I go out cos this morning I gave him an injection but he didn't like it poor baby.

Hope you see an improvement soon. Just wanted to say that you are being a great nurse, I'm sure Eagle really appreciates your care xxx

We have had a good day, he doesn't seem to be in as much pain as the other day and I brought his son home for company.

I was a little worried as lately Eagle has been very aggressive towards him but now he looks very happy to see him and they haven't left the fence all day.

I have found that sometimes when an animal is not feel too well, they enjoy having the company of a friend. Really hope you will see an easing of Eagle's symptoms in a day or two Renee.

Still sending you both hugs and prayers.
default_wub.png

Latest posts

Back