Eagle isn't well

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm glad he is having a better day
default_smile.png

We have had a good day, he doesn't seem to be in as much pain as the other day and I brought his son home for company.

I was a little worried as lately Eagle has been very aggressive towards him but now he looks very happy to see him and they haven't left the fence all day.

Good news!
default_smile.png

Yeah, and that's nice that he is enjoying the company. I hope he continues to improve and this will solve the problem!! Hugs for Eagle and to you too for being such a great mommy!

Hope your boy gets better, it has been a while now. I have had ulcers here and usually the meds kick in within a day or two and they are nearly 100% within a week. I guess your Vet checked everything else, I have not read through the posts lately.

Good luck to you...........

*I personally do not mix ulcer meds, I use one or the other. I think one or the other can cancel one out. Some coat, some relieve acid, some do other things. My preference is Gastroguard (works the fastest in my opinion), or Sulcrafate, but both are for different things.

Last edited by a moderator:
He is now on just Gastrogard and my poor baby had blood drawn again tonight, we will get the results on Monday.He doesn't love me any more
no.gif
I have never had any problems catching him but now when I open the gate he wanders off in the other direction.
no.gif
I just hope that I can get him well very soon.

Re: Mizbeth's post above--my vet, whom I like and who has been in practice w/ my long-established and quite knowledgeable vet for about two/three years now, recently told me that there does not need to be a 30 min. separation in time between the administration of omeprazole and that of sucralfate(aka carafate), and more significantly, IMO...that omeprazole works only for ulcers in the stomach, but that sucralfate works for BOTH ulcers in the stomach AND the hindgut.

I recently had to make one of the hardest decisions of my life...to euthanize my Miniature gelding, age 15, whom I'd been 'fighting the good fight' against ulcers with for about 5 years, when all meds no longer seemed to be doing any good at all. He was on full dose(for his size) of omeprazole AND sucralfate, but just quit eating EVERYTHING he had previously been willing, and even eager, to eat...grass hay, alfalfa hay, soaked beet pulp, and concentrates(of which he got very little, part of ulcer management.) He would graze some, so for several weeks...as long as the extremely sparse native grass of this drought lasted...I let him out, as much as 10-12 hours/day(not safe to leave him 'out' at night, due to coyote presence in the area.) He gradually even became less interested in the grass, but the truth was, the sparse growth of native grass on this poor soil would not have sustained him; he was noticably losing weight and condition daily, even while I continued to give him full medication. I am not one to let a horse waste away...the decision was made for me, really. I had his remains cremated(can't really bury an animal of that size here, due to regulations)...couldn't afford to have it done individually, but couldn't face the thought of his remains going to the landfill(all of this comes with MULTIPLE fees, in these times...and the area guy who picks up and transports the animal's bodies was in the news recently because he left a RHINO that died at the Zoo in his back lot for MONTHS, right where he lives!!Oh, HECK no, I'm not hiring such a person...!)

I have learned much in the course of the fight for my Roy's life. It has led me to make changes to how I feed and manage ALL of my minis. I hope to never again have to deal with the issue of ulcers, but if that should occur, I hope I am at least more prepared.

Good news so far about Eagle; here's sending hope and prayers for that to continue!!

Margo

Margot I am so sorry
no.gif
That must have been awful. I pray that my little boy will get better and soon, he was such a sweet guy and a perfect gentleman.

Last edited by a moderator:
Margo so sorry you had to make that choice. {{{HUGS}}}}

Eagle sending more healing prayers for Eagle
default_pray.gif
:pray
default_pray.gif
. It hurts when they walk away, but when he is feeling better he will still love.

Margo, we are so sorry you had to make this tough decision. He was certainly greatly loved.

I hope Eagle starts bouncing back soon. We had to give some needles to one of our colts and he did forgive us. I am sure Eagle will do the same.

The info for the sucralfate (carafate) was on the paperwork that came in the box from the drug manufacturer, and when I asked my vet she said that was correct, not to give them at the same time, because the sucralfate needs the acid to work. I guess every vet has their own ideas though.

My boy hates me too lately, well, unless its feeding time, then hes standing waiting. Its great to see him actually have an appetite yet. He used to give me a hard time about giving the meds, but now he just puts up with it. He wont willingly let me catch him when hes out though, as he knows what comes next.

Mydaddysjag, thanks for the clarification. It is entirely possible that my (youngish;i.e., not-as-experienced?) vet made an assumption w/o having read packaging instructions; I've been around long enough to know that EVERYONE can make mistakes, even those with the best of intentions! I will mention it to her, though, because I think she is open-minded enough to check it out and let me know what she finds out, because now I REALLY want to know what IS the proper way to administer if having to use both drugs.

Margo

I don't want to push my luck but Eagle seems a little better today. His tummy is still big but it seems to have gone down very slightly, he seems to be breathing better, his attitude was better and he let me groom him without sighing and fidgeting. He also seemed more interested in his hay.

Fingers crossed

Aww hes gorgeous and Im sure he doesnt hate you
default_no.gif
..your doing a great job being his nurse
default_aktion033.gif
..hope he continues to improve and make a full recovery
default_yes.gif

default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
Great news Renee!!
default_yes.gif

I dont know if it is because he's eating his hay in the picture, but looking at his head and the way he is carrying his ears, he looks so much more 'with it' and interested in what he is doing?

Fingers are still crossed and prayers being said for your special little man.
default_wub.png

Yes Anna that is what I think too.

Thanks Diane, Heidi will cringe when she sees his sun bleached mane and long bridle path
wub.gif

I WILL NOT!!!
default_laugh.png
Im just happy to be reading that you think he may be feeling a bit better

By the way my dear...after what Ive been going thru with the itchies and yucky crud on my horses a long bridle path and sun bleached mane sounds like heaven!! Eagle will always be a rock star in my book!!

Eagle is more interested in eating and was pacing the fence to get out this afternoon. I tried putting him out with his son but I had to separate them after 10 minutes not because he was aggressive but cos they were playing to hard.
risa8.gif

Boy is he ever doing great has lots of energy that is for sure.

Hope he is on the full road to recovery.

Thanks everyone.
saludando.gif

Diane I worked out with the vet that the box of 7 syringes should work for his full treatment cos 1 syringe does 6 days.

Latest posts

Back