Down to One

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rhonda - Yep, I made sure the heat lamp is out if her head space, even if she were to jump about (which is isn't prone to doing). I turned the lamp off tonight because we are supposed to remain at a decent temperature (not too much below freezing), and she wasn't shivering when I shut her into her stall tonight (even after she chose to "chill" outside in the snow that was falling slowly with no wind to speak of). Still hanging the wool blanket over the door to keep out any light breeze during the night. (Can't remember if I said, but it is a southerly facing shed, which also has a carport about 35 feet in front of it as an additional windblock) and to help keep her heat in a bit better.

I also purchased a blanket (which I will add the details in an edit of this post shortly to get everyones opinion) that should be arriving by Wed. I don't plan to use it every day, but definetly once the temperatures start to dip low and/or we get a miserable wet/blowing spell. Which Thankyou Marsha for the duct tape tip! I don't know why I didn't think of that the other night!

Wingnut, She is on free choice hay and has as much as she wants to eat in front of her 24/7 both in and out of her run in stall. She is also getting 3 cups Purina Mini/Pony feed with 1 tsp Canola Oil(started that today actually) and a bit of slightly warmed water to make it a mush (she doesn't drink alot of water from her bucket - manure/urine output is AOK) two times a day.
default_smile.png
She is underweight, and needs to gain a fair bit of weight. Spine, hips, shoulder, sternum are all easily felt. Trying to get some weight on her, she's only been here about two months. While she hasnt gained a heck of a lot from what I can tell from feel, she certainly isn't loosing either
default_smile.png

*ETA: Blanket info: From the website:

TOUGH-1 Polar 600D Waterproof Poly Miniature Blanket

From the original TOUGH-1. Medium/Heavyweight. Designed without a back seam to prevent leaking. Made of 600 denier ripstop poly outer shell with waterproof 210 lining, 200 grams of poly fill. Fleece wither protection. Belly surcingle. Tail Flap. Adjustable leg straps with elastice ends. Double buckle front. Shoulder gussets allow freedom of movement.

31PoSjckupL._AA300_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I didnt read the other responses much because im getting ready for bed, but ive had the best luck feeding empower balance grain, its specially made for laminitic horses/ponies...my pony hasnt been sore at all while on the feed, she feels included and shes slowly putting weight back on (I keep her a little thin to help with the laminitis)..shes looking pretty good! just a thought
default_smile.png
sorry if anyone already mentioned it! good luck.

That blanket looks nice ,
default_smile.png
I hope to get one like it by rainy season.

I blanket at zero and below here. It drops fast here when it does at night.

I am glad you sweet mare is doing better. Mine was blanketed for 8 days straight one week.

default_smile.png
thirty below for low and 15 below for high that week.

Cookie's blanket arrived a couple of days ago! While I apprently did not measure correctly, or they run a bit small, the blanket is VERY nice, and seems to be worth what I paid. She has had it on the last two days, as I decided I will blanket her when it drops below 20 degrees. On a horse of good weight, I would have stuck with the 0 degree, but I don't want her to loose ANY bit of weight she may have gained, so I have the 20 degree mark. Today it will be coming off as we are heading towards 40 for the next couple of days - WOO HOO!.

Her feed is now 3c Mini horse & pony feeed w/ 2 tsp Canola Oil 2X day (thinking about making it 2c 3X day) , and on the cold nights- some warm water. Free choice hay and salt/mineral block.

Farrier is coming today (FINALLY!) to get her feet done. While they could be worse for sure, they are several weeks over due (due to several different factors), and I am sure she is looking forward to it!

Such a great girl in the barn. My 3 year old LOVES coming out with me, and giving her a good brushing while I clean the stall, and to give her the apple or carrot treats
default_smile.png
Can't wait until this spring when I can see her without all her wool :)

Wanted to add a few pictures of Cookie I took this morning Jan 12 2013
default_smile.png
If anyone thinks she looks like she may be in foal, please let me know! I took an udder pic just to show
default_smile.png
As far as I am aware, the only stud she was around during 2012 was her yearling (coming two yr old this year) colt.

P1110756.JPGP1110766.JPGP1110781.JPGP1110786.JPGP1110788.JPGP1110753.JPG

The blanket doesn't look too bad. What hole did you buckle the front into? Where do you think its too small?

Last buckle on the fronts, and both the belly and leg surcingles opened to max. I thought it looks a bit short over her haunches, and a little open in the front. I think what I really did was a take a couple to many inches off to compensate for my VERY rough measurement. I think the next size up may have been the perfect fit to allow for a little leeway with the buckles and straps
default_smile.png

Yes, if all the buckles and straps are on the loosest setting, then the next size up would probably be better, especially in full woolies. [if she's done growing, this blanket will work for a long time, and be a better fit if you decide to clip in the spring and get a cold snap (it'll fit better without woolies underneath). Wait a little bit longer and you'll probably start finding end of season sales on blankets.]

Latest posts

Back