Donkey Question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My experience is very limited....just ask Madelaine! ;)

I‘ve grown very fond of Maddie over time because she is patient and she just, abides. She seems to take life at a slower pace and, if the right size to ride, would probably be a quiet, safe and steady mount.

Donkeys are very appealing and so darn cute, but if I were only able to have one critter (gasp 🤯) it would be a mini horse. 💕

I feel the same way with my tiny horses!! They always make my day!! 💕💕

Do yall prefer your donkeys over your mini horses? If so, then why? What sets them apart from the mini horses??
Donkeys are definitely different from horses. They're far more stoic. However, they've also very affectionate and full of character. I can't say I prefer one to the other, just am equally enjoying both. I will admit, however, that I will not own a mule again. I tried it once. I just don't understand them. Not an animal for me, mini or other sized.

I'm going to look at a donkey tomorrow. There are two jacks, one is a yearling and one is two. I'm interested in a yearling, as everyone says it is better to get one young. But if the two year old is nice and I like him better, I will go with that. I also want to get one young so he can learn to get along with my little horse.
He will be off to the vet asap, if I decide to bring him home.
I forgot to ask their names.
My farrier told me about them; he does their hooves.

Our donkey was a feral 9yo jack when we got him about 1.5 years ago and he and my soon to be 3 mini get along great. The donkey is more playful and definitely the instigator of our 3. The 2 minis are 30 inches and even our 16.2hh ottb playes tag and tug of war with the little ones. I don't think age matters with donkeys as much as with a horse.

I went to see the donkey today. It is a donkey friendly farm! The one I am interested in is a yearling. All the donkeys are love bugs and love scratches. But as soon as a halter showed up, I was no longer his friend. We did halter him and lead him out of the pen with the more dominant pal. The donkeys know absolutely nothing. After about 20 minutes of working with him, we think we saw that he was beginning to understnad about leading.
This is my first "up close and personal" encounter with a donkey. I don't know what to think. I'm nervous that I cannot train him properly or that he won't get along with Dapper Dan. Of course, a trip to the vet for gelding would be a priority. I sort of wanted one that was more gray, with the black stripe more pronounced.
I'm waffling. Maybe it is the heat; I can't seem to make up my mind.
His name is Mickey.

Attachments

• donkey lane.jpg
    donkey lane.jpg
    342.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Mickey.jpg
    Mickey.jpg
    416.3 KB · Views: 0
He is adorable! Mine changes color a little especially in the winter. We had only taken care of a standard donkey and knew nothing about him. Ours is still intact and we have no plans of gilding him. I do love his VERY loud bray for his breakfast! He will learn very quick to trust.

Attachments

• 20211011_123759.mp4
    17.4 MB
  • 20211011_122502.mp4
    14.9 MB
@Marsha Cassada , do you have a friend who understands about training donkeys? They are different but so much fun. Mine doesn't run away from the halter - unless it's my daughter or the farrier trying to catch him. He will follow me around until I put the halter on him! However, it's he's not exactly what you want and you're not feeling confident being able to take him from where he is, keep looking. The right one is out there for you!

Everyone in your photos is adorable Marsha and Walt’s Fault!

Madelaine has been a learning experience for sure. She was halter trained and had regular hoof trims and brushing so that was very helpful.

I do feel she processes information in a different way than the horses. She will now go on a walk by herself for about 1/4 to 1/3 of a mile without trying to just quit. She walks more slowly also than the minis, not a problem, just a difference.

We’ve had her now about 7 years and I’ve yet to figure out how to get her to cross the short trestle bridge over the creek on the hiking trail. Pretty sure she sees it as unsafe and that’s that.

She is a favorite with all of us, and as Walt says, the bray becomes an important part of your day..in a good way. 💕

Liking what Standards says also, especially about keep looking if not sure!

Well, I chatted with another donkey owner this morning, and pretty well think a donkey is not in my future. They need the same dry environment that Midnight needed, and I wouldn't be any better at it with a donkey than my horse. So I'm not going to look at donkeys any more--except people's pictures of theirs, of course!
Thanks to everyone who shared their donkey experiences.

Well, I chatted with another donkey owner this morning, and pretty well think a donkey is not in my future. They need the same dry environment that Midnight needed, and I wouldn't be any better at it with a donkey than my horse. So I'm not going to look at donkeys any more--except people's pictures of theirs, of course!
Thanks to everyone who shared their donkey experiences.
Although far less fun, that's a very responsible decision of you to make. I really respect and applaud your frankness with yourself and your situation. If you're ever in Alberta, Canada (hahaha) you could absolutely come and cuddle Phillippe.

Although far less fun, that's a very responsible decision of you to make. I really respect and applaud your frankness with yourself and your situation. If you're ever in Alberta, Canada (hahaha) you could absolutely come and cuddle Phillippe.
Not too far fetched. Son's mil lives in Clyde and I have a friend in Edmonton.

Latest posts

Back