Donkey or Mule?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TangoMango

Reaction score
I got this gelding from the auction, during the auction he was announced as being a donkey, which is what I thought he was. Then I get the coggins and is says mule... I still think he is a donkey. How about you guys?

IMG_1894.jpg

IMG_1891.jpg

IMG_1897.jpg

IMG_1899.jpg

Well crap, he was announced as a donkey during that sale and written up on the receipt as one too..

I bought him for herd protection from coyotes and stray dogs. Ahh well, atleast he doesnt eat much..And he is so cute, even though he drives me nuts, he is 2 yrs old and I dont think was ever handled, scared of people, and everything else.. And I made him dislike humans even more, because the butt who had him, gelding him used STRING! And it was so infected it was dripping pus. I had to risk life and limb to get near there to cut the string out and get it to heal.

Definitely a mule you bought. I am surprised that the auction didnt know the differance..I do know they usually dont know the differance between a hinny or a mule, but gee....a donkey and a mule...you sure can tell! Some mules can make good protection animals as well as a donkey can. I have hinnys and donkeys. Just remember not all donkeys or mules will make good herd protectors. We have talked about this on the donkey end of the forums. I am glad you got this mule, I am sure with time and patience he will come to appreciate everything you do for him. Just remember time and patience are the key words when working with mules and donkeys.

Yes he's a mule, and very cute.
default_smile.png
Ouch, can't imagine someone putting an animal through a sale with an open infected wound of any kind! Imagine it happens all the time though
default_sad.png
, at least with the sales in our area his first stop would be the vets on the way home just on general principal. Hope he makes you a loyal watch-mule after he settles in.
default_wink.png

Jan

Very cute mule!!! He has such a sweet face and I think he was lucky you found him at the auction.

A few years ago, we had a 'stray" one show up here, but I was so stunned that I couldn't think "what" he was as I called around trying to find his owner. I told my former trainer it was either a mule or a donkey and thankfully, she happened to know who might be missing him. He was big and even though I have a big horse and have for many years (used to have two), I was kind of afraid of the mule and was very glad when his owner came to get him. He hopped in the back of a pickup truck
default_rolleyes.gif
And was named Satan!!!!

I'm 100% sure he's only 50% donkey.
default_yes.gif
Donkeys and mules have such wise eyes, and I absolutely love his. I've had the mule in my avatar for about 2 1/2 years now, and she has taught me so much about dealing with a skittish longear. As Corinne said, you need to be very patient with them. Earning their trust takes time. When I first got Betsy, she regarded any physical contact with distrust. Now, she willingly gives mule hugs!
default_wub.png

You can't strong-arm a mule, like you might a horse, or it will come back to bite you (sometimes literally!) They are very smart animals that are very fast learners, and have memories that put an elephant's to shame.

Mules have a longstanding reputation for hating dogs. I remember seeing an antique mechanical bank that was a mule, trying to stomp a dog that popped out from behind a tiny hay bale! As has been said before, I wouldn't count on a mule being protective, but I wouldn't trust a dog's safety around any mule I didn't know well, and particularly around some that I do.
default_new_shocked.gif
You may or may not have gotten your herd protector, but you have certainly gotten a potential friend for life!

Last edited by a moderator:
Definitely looks like a mule to me, Very cute!

Thanks guys, I will keep you up to date on how is is getting on...
default_biggrin.png

And I made him dislike humans even more, because the butt who had him, gelding him used STRING! And it was so infected it was dripping pus. I had to risk life and limb to get near there to cut the string out and get it to heal.
Ewww, I was eating my lunch while reading this
default_smileypuke.gif
default_smileypuke.gif

Mule and a very cute one, he's lucky you found him.

And I made him dislike humans even more, because the butt who had him, gelding him used STRING! And it was so infected it was dripping pus. I had to risk life and limb to get near there to cut the string out and get it to heal.
Ewww, I was eating my lunch while reading this
default_smileypuke.gif
default_smileypuke.gif

Mule and a very cute one, he's lucky you found him.
Sorry...
default_blush.png
default_smileypuke.gif

Latest posts

Back