donkey gelding

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I local person who adopted a full size donkey took him to be gelded to an experienced horse vet yesterday. He was up, got into the trailer, and seemed okay. He did drink a lot of water last night, which seemed unusual. She went out this morning and he was dead. She called the vet and was told "sometimes these things happen". So, he must have had some underlying issues, to have been so thirsty? She's had him several months. Pretty shocking.

That's really sad!!! It's disappointing the vet didn't give much of an explanation. I wonder what could have caused the extra drinking. I'd assume some extra bleeding - likely internally... I'm afraid I'm not that familiar with donkey anatomy and how it differs from horses. I do realize that there is a much higher risk of mature stallions having serious post operative complications from gelding than youngsters. Hugs to your friend.

I local person who adopted a full size donkey took him to be gelded to an experienced horse vet yesterday. He was up, got into the trailer, and seemed okay. He did drink a lot of water last night, which seemed unusual. She went out this morning and he was dead. She called the vet and was told "sometimes these things happen". So, he must have had some underlying issues, to have been so thirsty? She's had him several months. Pretty shocking.

Hi Marsha,

Sadly this is way too common for donkeys. Vet's need to do their homework before agreeing to geld a donkey. If a vet has experience gelding donkeys the gelding is no big deal. When vets go to school, they learn about horses not donkeys. Donkeys digest drugs different from a horse and need monitoring overnight in most cases. Donkeys can bleed to death when a vet does not tie off the testicles. Donkeys digest drugs different from a horse this is a fact not a myth. Tears for the owner of the precious donkey. Donkey Whisperer Farm ® Donkey Whisperer Farm ®

Attachments

• fbMININEONGREEN - Copy.jpg
    fbMININEONGREEN - Copy.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 0
Hi Marsha,

Sadly this is way too common for donkeys. Vet's need to do their homework before agreeing to geld a donkey. If a vet has experience gelding donkeys the gelding is no big deal. When vets go to school, they learn about horses not donkeys. Donkeys digest drugs different from a horse and need monitoring overnight in most cases. Donkeys can bleed to death when a vet does not tie off the testicles. Donkeys digest drugs different from a horse this is a fact not a myth. Tears for the owner of the precious donkey. Donkey Whisperer Farm ® Donkey Whisperer Farm ®
This good for me to know. Thanks

Latest posts

Back