does anyone breed poodles?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

littlehorse2

[SIZE=14pt]I was just wondering if anyone on here bred poodles. I love the breed and I'm looking into getting one.[/SIZE]

Christy

I just stopped. :lol: They are AMAZING dogs though: incredibly intelligent, extremelly athletic and super clean (more like little people in fur suits). I'll be keeping two for now, a Toy and a Mini and I'd love to have a Standard some day. For more information I highly recommend www.vipoodle.org and the Poodle Club of America's website. Good luck in your search...
default_wub.png
:

My friend raises standard poodles......they are very smart and quite high maintenance I know I have one.....they like to be with their people, they can do just about anything, obedience, agility, hunting, flyball......they are an excellent choice if you are into dog sports or very active........they also tend to be far more protective than most people would realize...everyone thinks of dobies or rotties as guard dogs...well poodles are typically extremely good guard dogs........

My mom and youngest sister have mini poodles. They started with "pet quality" from good breeders after doing lots of research. My sis got one heck of a deal on a little female that could have shown VERY well if she hadn't had some sort of odd touch of brown in a couple places on her black coat. The breeder was great and told my sis about breed standards and responsibility to always strive to better the breed and to watch for problems with eyes and hips with poodles (she will not breed any dog with any hint of a problem and has each pup checked by a vet as well). They are SMART little dogs (too danged smart sometimes!) and they aren't happy being away from their people--they need their human companions. Anyway, my sis is now starting agility training with her dog and that dog is learning so fast that she sees patterns and tries to predict what you will ask of her next. My sis just has to THINK it and the dog does it! Anyway, I know my family has fallen so in love with the breed over the last few years that they are looking very carefully now for a couple of female pups to breed later on. I wasn't crazy about the looks of the poodles at first but after being around them a bit this summer I think if I ever get another dog it will be a mini poodle.

-Amy

they also tend to be far more protective than most people would realize...everyone thinks of dobies or rotties as guard dogs...well poodles are typically extremely good guard dogs........
Actually, I have dobies and mini poodles, and most people don't realize because these dogs are so different in looks, but they are alot alike in temperment! Both are what I call velcro dogs, they want to be with you at all times, they do not do good as a kennel dog. Both are VERY intelligent and can be very protective of "their" people and are really good guard dogs, the poodles don't realize that they are smaller than our dobes, it's very comical to see our 3 mini poodles chasing our large dobie around the yard because he was bugging them!

they also tend to be far more protective than most people would realize...everyone thinks of dobies or rotties as guard dogs...well poodles are typically extremely good guard dogs........
Actually, I have dobies and mini poodles, and most people don't realize because these dogs are so different in looks, but they are alot alike in temperment! Both are what I call velcro dogs, they want to be with you at all times, they do not do good as a kennel dog. Both are VERY intelligent and can be very protective of "their" people and are really good guard dogs, the poodles don't realize that they are smaller than our dobes, it's very comical to see our 3 mini poodles chasing our large dobie around the yard because he was bugging them!
Well my poodle is easily as big if not bigger than many dobes....he stands 27 inches at the shoulder he is a big boy and he hunts.....he loves upland game and does well at waterfowl......but the velcro thing is very true and I am not a fan of that type of dog thankfully this dog is mostly my sons and my husband hunts with him......he is also a ball fanatic......a water fanatic, and a serious mouser :bgrin

LOL Add me to the owner of a ball fanatic Poodle club! Phillipe also likes water. He'll dive after a sunken ball and has also sailed and kayaked with me.
default_wub.png
:

Well I thought I was getting me a special baby when I bought my toy poodle. She was our baby girl. But turns out she is a daddys girl.........thru and thru..........
default_yes.gif
: she loves her daddy and loves her sweet tea that her and her daddy drink together......definitely love our baby girl Sara...........

default_yes.gif
:
default_yes.gif
:

I have a neighbor that raises the teacup tiny ones. They are so adorable. Hers are expensive but beautiful. I could let you have her e-mail If you are sreiously looking.

Just a little FYI for everyone out there: "Teacup" Poodles do not exist.
default_smile.png
Poodles come in three sizes and three sizes ONLY: Toy, Miniature and Standard. Any Poodle under 10" tall at the shoulder at maturity is a Toy Poodle. It doesn't matter if that dog is 3 pounds or 10 pounds. A responsible breeder by the standard of the Poodle Club of America WILL NOT use "Teacup" to describe their puppies.

For more information and breeder referral, please read:

http://www.poodleclubofamerica.org/pcamemberdogavailable.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL Add me to the owner of a ball fanatic Poodle club! Phillipe also likes water. He'll dive after a sunken ball and has also sailed and kayaked with me.
default_wub.png
:
Is your Phillipe ball possesive as well?

Gunn does NOT share his ball...it is his ball and only his ball :bgrin and yes gunn loves boating as well he has gone when they used the boat hunting and has gone fishing he likes the boat.......although his ver first time in the boat he was 6 months and they went hunting and apparently when they started tossing decoys out he thought he needed to go get those ducks and bring them back.......he also on this same trip learned that powdered doughnuts rock..he was in the blind and the guys weren't they came back and the doughnuts were missing and there sat a black pup with a white beard and moustache :bgrin :bgrin
default_rolleyes.gif
: giving them the innocent face
default_wink.png
:

Whoa now, I (as a Past breeder) called my friends teacup just meaning they are tiny toys. Take it easy everyone, This goofy weather seems to be affecting everyone lately. I was just trying to be helpful
default_yes.gif
:

Code:
[URL="http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d97/lynda7249/STA60108.jpg"]http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d97/lynda7249/STA60108.jpg[/URL] this is my daughter symone at halloween with our wee toy poodle cindy, we got because my daughters on her own, and as you can see she can do anything with her, they are a great family dog they dont cast but i have to admit it, she loves my husband more than anybody, she was soo easy trained,and very easy kept in this photo the dogs dressed up as a wee witch, that suits her sometimes aswell lol
STA60108.jpg
Code:
[URL="http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d97/lynda7249/STA60108.jpg"]http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d97/lynda7249/STA60108.jpg[/URL] this is my daughter symone at halloween with our wee toy poodle cindy, we got because my daughters on her own, and as you can see she can do anything with her, they are a great family dog they dont cast but i have to admit it, she loves my husband more than anybody, she was soo easy trained,and very easy kept in this photo the dogs dressed up as a wee witch, that suits her sometimes aswell lol

"Is your Phillipe ball possesive as well?"

He is but he also knows that he can't continue to chase it if I can't get it to throw it for him.
default_smile.png
We used to play for hours on the banks of the Columbia River in Portland. His favorite are tennis balls because he can de-fuzz them and then break the rubber apart. He'd do that when we were playing on the river and when the ball would sink he'd dive several feet down in a current for it. He'll run until he's almost dead (he has kept up with me on a 20 mile long mountain bike trail through some tough mountains in Montana) and he won't stop swimming or diving if you don't stop him yourself before he drowns.

Cute picture, shane! From the looks of it, your Poodle is about the same size and color as my Phillipe. He, too, loves to play dress up and has a huge wardrobe including sunglasses, hats, etc. :lol: He loves the extra attention it brings him when he's wearing his "stuff" (including sweaters that say, "Git R Done" and "Shut Up or I'll Sh*t on Your Shoes.") and it looks like your dog does, too!

You know, it's funny you and runamuk should mention your Poodles like your men best as Phillipe has always been a "man's dog," too! He always acts so 'tuff and just wants to hang out with the guys BUT he'll be the first one to know if something's wrong with me and always comes to snuggle. It's amazing how intuitive and sensitive he is...

:saludando: I bred poodles for 30+ years And even though they don't come in but three sizes really . People often say teacup for the very small toys. The lady I groomed with for years had several that were under 4 inches. She had a dog which downed sized everything he was bred to. no matter the size of the bitch , her pups matured small than dam. Also we use to groom a dog from Germany that was an "Imperial". We had to put two tables together to work on him. He was 32 inches.

"Is your Phillipe ball possesive as well?"

He is but he also knows that he can't continue to chase it if I can't get it to throw it for him.
default_smile.png
We used to play for hours on the banks of the Columbia River in Portland. His favorite are tennis balls because he can de-fuzz them and then break the rubber apart. He'd do that when we were playing on the river and when the ball would sink he'd dive several feet down in a current for it. He'll run until he's almost dead (he has kept up with me on a 20 mile long mountain bike trail through some tough mountains in Montana) and he won't stop swimming or diving if you don't stop him yourself before he drowns.
OMG Gunn is the same way LOVES to de fuzz his tennis balls and then "crack" them like an egg :bgrin I just found a solid rubber tennis ball we are testing it out to see how long it will last
default_wink.png
:

:saludando: I bred poodles for 30+ years And even though they don't come in but three sizes really . People often say teacup for the very small toys. The lady I groomed with for years had several that were under 4 inches. She had a dog which downed sized everything he was bred to. no matter the size of the bitch , her pups matured small than dam. Also we use to groom a dog from Germany that was an "Imperial". We had to put two tables together to work on him. He was 32 inches.
OK that is one HUGE dog...my borzoi is in the realm of 32 and she is gigantic...bigger than many great danes.....I cannot even imagine a poodle that HUGE :new_shocked: :new_shocked:

I used to have two tiny toys (mother & son). They are very protective
default_yes.gif
: and smart. The female soon realized that my husband had a hearing problem (she also destroyed a hearing aid once
default_wacko.png
: ) but, made herself the "hearing aide dog". If phone/doorbell, etc. went off, she'd alert him & go to the item for him to "get it". If I called him for a meal and he didn't hop right up and head to the table, she'd bark at him
default_rolleyes.gif
: Oh, she loved my wine and the hot tub, too.....yep, they are great swimmers! So, she'd sip & dip with us :lol: The son never got into that!

She quickly learned to get the ball and return it -- the son, well, he figured if you threw it away 2X you must not want it -- and wouldn't go get it :new_shocked: Yeah, they have "personality" plus.

I'd get another one. No shedding, either.
default_wink.png
:

Latest posts

Back