Do you have big horses? Ride?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lil Eowyn

Reaction score
I'm a barrel racer and I own 4 big horses besides my mini.

Just wanted to see how many people here have big horses and ride? What's your discipline?

I have one big horse, a 4-year-old APHA/PtHA mare that I raised and trained myself. I am hoping to season her on barrels and poles this year, and maybe show at halter/showmanship. I've shown her off and on since she was a yearling, but despite her halter-horse pedigree she has been a very gawky youngster and is just now coming into herself.
default_smile.png
For most of her life, she's looked more like a racehorse than a halter horse! My other love is trail riding...recreational now, but I hope to do some 25 and 50-mile endurance rides "someday."

I have a 26yr old Appendix QH, before I got him (he was 10 when i got him) he did A Circuit/Grand Prix Jumping and then I did up to Intermediate Level Eventing with him as well as Junior Ameatuer Show Jumping. When I got into my car accident and couldnt really ride him or train full sized horses any more in 2009 I permanently retired him. Hence why miniatures sparked my interest.

I plan on always having a pleasure/trail horse even after my big boy has passed. When I move and get my own farm in a few years I will be adding another big horse to the mix so my BF can ride with me as well.

default_thumbup.gif
I have a gaited horse also! I inherited my mom's Foxtrotter. She passed away last year and she wanted me to take her mare. I have been out of big horses for about 10 years (owned and trained QH's for over 30 years) and have only had my minis. So, now I have one of each, I drive my little guy and have started working and conditioning the MFT as she has stood around doing nothing for about 7 years. So far, so good, we had our first solo ride out last Saturday. Michele

I have a coming 4 yr old APHA solid Perlino stallion. I got him when he was 10 months old. By his attitude, you wouldn't know he is a stallion. His name is Smoke N Tequilla Sun. Tequilla for his sire, Whiskey's Why(smokey cream QH). Smoke for my favorite Nascar driver, Tony Stewart, aka Smoke.

He has his ground work and I've ridden him a few times. I'm the only one home 90% of the time, so don't like to get on him without someone around. He will be used for trail riding and I love to team pen, so we will be trying that.

His only fault is when he runs around, he looks like an Arabian. Nose in the air and tail flagging. My business partner is always teasing me that I got an Arabian, instead of a Paint.

We also have his first foal. She is a coming yearling buckskin/dunskin. Her dam was a dun QH/Mustang. The mare broke her leg when the filly(Pandi) was a month old. We had to put her down. Pandi got attached to another mare we had(sold resently) and her father. She still is attached to her sire. She always goes and sees him, when she is turned out.

Pandi belongs to my business partners daughter. She just resently moved back to Indiana. She's going to come get Pandi and her cat later this year.

Pandi is the tall "miniature".

SANY0264.JPG

SANY0265.JPG

I own a Hannoverian and a Pinto PMU foal (who is 14 this year). I have ridden dressage for almost 20 years now...haven't ridden soo much in the past couple of years after my coaches/good friends sold their farm and moved across the country....broke my heart and I just haven't had the drive to ride at the level I was. The Hannoverian is trained to Prix St Georges (by my coaches) and the PMU I trained to about Third Level-he had an accident 3 years ago this month and ended up with laminitis issues following it, so he has never gotten back to that level again, though he is sound now.

I just put in a sand ring last year, so I'm hoping to do a little more riding this year!

~kathryn

Moose

20100702_2415.jpg

Anoki

Anoki09show1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
We have several Quarter horses - ages 6 to 30, and we show reining. Love it!

Tried to stay away from the big guys and have only minis, but I just can't do it. The longest I have gone without a full size horse is probably.....4 years, I have been around them,forever, got two to call our own when I was nine. That was many many moons ago, my youngest kid is nine my oldest is fifteen now. Most on here know, and if they can deal with he mention of them one more time, I have two gypsy vanners. A soon to be four year old mare and a 10 month old colt(soon to be gelding). I trail ride as much as possible, but this time of year I only seem to get out twice a week, maybe a total of 5-6 miles each week. I really would love to try her at some gaming shows, like the trail/ obstacle classes.

I have had my big boy for 16 years. He is pasture sound and my mini. I am strongly thinking about finding my little gelding a home in the spring and getting another large pony (14 hands) to trail ride around my back yard. Seven is a great little guy and feel bad that I still like big horses more than minis.

I grew up on a farm in Europe, my family bred Zweibrücker for generations so I was in the saddle from the time I was born, did dressage, jumping and equestrian vaulting. Then took a break from age 17 until my daughter was 12 and horse crazy so we found a place to take lessons. Only took me a couple of months to get back into it. Moved to Texas, did barrel racing for a year, missed my English riding and sand arena so we found an Arabian ranch to take lessons at. They stopped lessons after 2 years so I figured it's time for my own - looked at lots of horses, then found this guy, ad said "a face you won't forget" - very true! 7 yr old APHA gelding, lots of thoroughbreds in his papers, like war admiral etc. and his previous owner recently told me what couldn't be any more true - "3 colors - 3 personalities", he can go from bone lazy backyard pet to rodeo bronco to hot blooded race horse in a matter of minutes. I said I didn't want a "boring" horse, I got what I asked for LOL

I ride English with him and recently switched to the bitless bridle which works better for him than the bitted.

2a10723725abf5175a50e092c727c9a8_zps7ec4815f.jpg

34978133fe33d37c22880285b5c5c3b3_zps7400e052.jpg

The marking on his back - hence the barn name "Pikachu"

1b0d3947bddb61bbccf5cfd6873684f7_zps01bb1882.jpg

f0e313537a71ed03ad57ea466fd5ca10_zpsc1f6cf41.jpg

* forgot to mention he's pretty big for a paint, 16.2hh, normal size for me being used to German warmbloods but around here that makes him huge - the pics don't show his legs, they're spotted so he almost looks like he has leopard app in him
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you
default_smile.png
if it was up to him he'd just live to show that off as a pasture ornament! No work, just play and grass all day LOL

My first horse was an arab x qh that we had to have put down a few years ago. I had him for about 12 years and the sun pretty much rose and set... A few years after I got him, I got a 3/4 morgan / 1/4 standardbred gelding who I still own. I do no ride much, but he's a great boy who is really an all around... english - western - driving (my first driving horse, in fact)
default_yes.gif

Hubby and I both ride as do both of our families. I have a 16.2hh OTTB gelding. My grandfather gave him to me after he came off the track at age 5. He didn't have a competitive drive so he retired early. He will be 13 on April 1. His track name is Bold 'n' Easy but we call him Comic. He was born April fools day AND he's a clown. Takes your hat or anything you have hanging out of your pocket. He just "matured" last year and finally has a pretty level head. Thoroughbreds are a little late in maturing mentally, but when they do it's a huge change! It makes riding him that much better. We just do a lot of trail/mountain riding around here. I'd like to start dressage with him (just to level 1 or 2) but all the training barns around here are soooo expensive. The trainers charge their fee and then there is a fee to use the arena on top of that. We have a public arena but none of the trainers are willing to use it rather than the barn they are affiliated with. Maybe in a couple of years when my son is in school and I'm able to make a little more money.... until then we just enjoy our trail riding.

03-07-07_1425.jpg

IMGP1186.jpg

Hubby and I both ride as do both of our families. I have a 16.2hh OTTB gelding. My grandfather gave him to me after he came off the track at age 5. He didn't have a competitive drive so he retired early. He will be 13 on April 1. His track name is Bold 'n' Easy but we call him Comic. He was born April fools day AND he's a clown. Takes your hat or anything you have hanging out of your pocket. He just "matured" last year and finally has a pretty level head. Thoroughbreds are a little late in maturing mentally, but when they do it's a huge change! It makes riding him that much better. We just do a lot of trail/mountain riding around here. I'd like to start dressage with him (just to level 1 or 2) but all the training barns around here are soooo expensive. The trainers charge their fee and then there is a fee to use the arena on top of that. We have a public arena but none of the trainers are willing to use it rather than the barn they are affiliated with. Maybe in a couple of years when my son is in school and I'm able to make a little more money.... until then we just enjoy our trail riding.

03-07-07_1425.jpg

You're giving me hope that my goofball will eventually mature! LOL

IMGP1186.jpg

I have had Paint & Quarter horses all my life. Showed Paint horses for a few years and then decided I wanted to do something more relaxing and took my show mare and started trail riding, together we have logged many hours. We had a very bad accident a few years back and I haven't ridden since and she hasn't been rode. She is having some arthritic issues with her shoulder and my knees and bounce are not the same so not sure I will ride again(even though have the yearning to do so). I sold all of my big horses and kept her and then got into miniatures.

I would post a pic but it won't let me???

Latest posts

Back