Do you consider this rude?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minimule

Reaction score
I had a couple of different visitors this week. We have to open the gate for anyone to come in so we know they are here BUT.....they both just walked right in the back door. :nono: Neither of them knocked! Yes, I know you are here but come on! What if I had been half dressed! ARGH!

Do you think that's rude?

Also....one of them was here earlier this week. They asked to us the restroom (we were outside with the horses) and they came back out with a soda in their hand...didn't ask, just helped themselves!

Am I too easily offended or is this not proper ettiquette?

OMG- I am definately not as calm as you are, I think that I would have to ask them to remove themselves from my property & not return. We are all entitled to our privacy & all visitors should be sure they have their manners & courtesy in tow when they visit.

IMO- only Of Course !

I think its rude.

My mother would slap me silly if I walked into someones house without knocking (even if they knew I was there).

She would slap me double hard for helping myself to someones food.

Well unless this is your family (even then it could be considered rude
default_rolleyes.gif
: ) I would call this very rude, complete lack of tact, etiquette, class, or manners :eek: :eek:

[SIZE=18pt]RUDE with a capital R!!!! Unbelievable! :new_shocked: [/SIZE]

OK....so it isn't just me! Whew!

They aren't family and one is a TOTAL pest....always asking to borrow money, trying to get a ride somewhere.......the term leech comes to mind. :eek: Now if I could just figure out how to get rid of it......

Rude on both parts. I've had people tell me to go in their houses before with them not being there and can't do it. My family including sisters and brothers still knock on my door before coming in. Parents who live right next door about 12 feet out my side door knock real quick and come inside.

As far as the soda, there's been a few times that I wouldn't want people to see my fridge.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK....so it isn't just me! Whew!

They aren't family and one is a TOTAL pest....always asking to borrow money, trying to get a ride somewhere.......the term leech comes to mind. :eek: Now if I could just figure out how to get rid of it......
I wonder if pouring salt on leeches works like it does for slugs

:new_rofl: :new_rofl: :new_rofl: :new_rofl:

Oh my gosh, that is pretty bold! We moved to this really big property because, although we like prearranged company, we do enjoy our privacy as well. And since we've moved here, we have one neighbor that walks in unannounced (female) and the rest of the neighbors (men) all seem to show up unannounced when I am braless! :new_shocked: Then the farrier showed up a day early this week (miscommunication) and I was completely naked stuck against a wall between the front door and back door panicking about how I was going to get past the front door to the bedroom to get clothes on! My husband said that's it! We are getting a gate! Crazy when you move to all this acreage and now you have to lock your doors and get a gate to keep the neighbors out! :eek:

I have found it is best to confront them head on in very plain English. You don't have to be mean but don't beat around the bush. They are obviously thick skinned and manners don't seem to cross their mind so if you think your words will come across as "bad manners" DON'T! They obviously won't recognize it as such anyway.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

:new_shocked: OMG!!! what a drag.
default_sad.png
that's one thing i don't worry about here because of the gate in the perimeter fence... no one comes in, they are all afraid of Tank and Grace. :bgrin sometimes it's annoying if you WANT them to come in and they stand there and make you go all the way to the gate to open it for them. :eek: but, that's what we have those BIG dogs for
default_yes.gif
:

i always tell people don't worry, you are ok so long as i am here, but i wouldn't come in if i wasn't here
default_wink.png
:

i always tell people don't worry, you are ok so long as i am here, but i wouldn't come in if i wasn't here
default_wink.png
:
Oh how funny! I do the same thing with my Rottweilers because my husband is gone so much. I always say that while I hold them by their collars implying that they would attack if I let them go. Little do they know if I let them go they will run full speed over to lick them to death. :bgrin

Yes same her- gate + Dobes = no unwanted visitors!!!

Even close friends shout out- my dogs are very good but they will not let in anyone until I have told them to.

I would get that gate and a couple of big, "pound" dogs to patrol it for you.

But then I have little sense and less self control when it comes to animal numbers so maybe I am not the best person to listen to- if I had all your room I would empty the local pound!!!
default_smile.png

NOT a good idea, I do know!!!

Rude with a capital R. Totally unaceptable, totally. I would be blunt honest and say so. You have a home...it is your sanctuary YOURS! visitors in the house are by invite only. The soda..I would've raised my eyebrows and said...that'll be a dollar! On your way out! :eek: You are a lovely nice person...easy to step on and take advantage of...I speak as a sister to this affliction. The only way these days is to be blunt honest. Discression doesn't seem to penetrate the thick skulls of this decade. Sheesh! I also had a dobe once that would allow anyone to enter take 2 steps then hold them...silently...never a growl or a bark...she'd just wait for me to look for her or call out Tai? Then I hear another voice..uh Deb? help?

Unless they are family or expected visitors, it is rude. Around her you basically open the door yourself cuz the dogs bark and we already know you're here.

And to grab a soda like that is uncalled for. they could've asked first. I would get upset if someone grabbed a soda without asking as they arent' cheap.

Very rude !! Even my family members knock before they come in . Behavior like that from some uninvited or unwanted guests , I would consider suspicious . Like, what else are they helping themselves to without your knowledge ? And have you noticed anything missing???
default_unsure.png
:

Shawna,

A favorite trick of people casing a robbery is to do this .

Especially asking to use the bathroom and while doing so getting their bearings inside the house.

I would have thrown them out a long time ago.

You need to let them know they are not welcome and that you have notified the police of that fact.

This is scary to me, now they know so much about you and your property.

Bonnie

Yes it is RUDE!!

Unfortunately, I have some rude visitors! :eek: :eek:

When people are rude like this I make no apology for my 85 lb lab wiggling at their feet and almost knocking them over or for my muddy jrt's doing their happy dance on their pant leg :new_rofl:

I have had this 'person' come in when I was naked except for a bra :new_shocked: his reply when I shouted in horror to WAIT!!!! "It is not anything I haven't seen before" :new_shocked:

Unfortunately he is family in law :eek:

I think its rude.

My mother would slap me silly if I walked into someones house without knocking (even if they knew I was there).

She would slap me double hard for helping myself to someones food.
[SIZE=12pt]Amen, a close friend *that I knew was coming by* is ONE thing, but casual visitors is something else entirely! I'd have made a smart butt comment like "wow, I guess I should lock the doors". That's not just rude, but disrespectful.[/SIZE]

Oh boy..... that is something I can not stand and yes, it is rude! I have a sister in law(the rest of my family including my parents knock) that will just bounce her way right into my house.... I can get over that part... but she never so much as says hi, hello.... nothing she comes in and immediatelystarts talking about some crisis that must be told about her or my nephews....

As for anyone coming in my house and using my bathroom you'd better ask. I wouldn't dare go into anyone's house and use theirs without their permission.

AND for the soda..... my luck it would be my last Caffeine free diet coke(which is the only soda in our house) and you'd better believe it would be the last time someone touched my fridge without asking.

My father in law came(husbands step father) over for Christmas one year... we could not find him... he had gone down into our unfinished basement.... where it is just full of storage bins... he was down there... went down there without asking... there was no need for that. What's up with that? So my husband reversed the knob on the door(to keep him out.. LOL but also, to keep our toddler from going down the steps without us). It locks from the other side now so no one can go down there. We have the key hidden(within reach). I just thought it strange that we were all spending time in my great room(I have a small house so we were all in the same room) and he just disappears and starts snooping. Weird!

Kim

We live in a small farm community of 590. Folks know that, with a husband business travelling 80%, guess who runs the farm. Wanting to be kind, and fit into the community, I "was" hospitable to "dudes" stopping by who "want to see how David and I are doing". (Right, guess who's tried to make amourous advances -- Dunpainted isn't the prettiest)

NOT ANYMORE -- with the exception of two/three "gentlemen".

As for the "others", should I happen to be outside, and one of these jerks see me, our St. Bernard & Newfoundland, put themselves between us. When David, my 12 year old Asbergers son sees one of the jackasses, he makes his presence known until they leave.

If anyone doesn't "get" my firm, "I've gotta get back to work, see ya later"....I literally walk away. SHOULD I BE IN THE HOUSE.....the door isn't answered, while two big dogs bark their warning from inside.

There was only ONE OCCASION, when my privacy was infringed (taking my daily, afternoon nap). A gal from my husband's work, opened the front door and kept yelling ---- Cindy, wake up, it's me. Finally, I dragged my nasty attitude outta bed and, from the top of the stairs said "WHAT DO YOU WANT?" Without a clue, "Hey, ya wanna go shopping?" Hissing through my teeth I said...."You woke me up! Do I look the type to engage in "MALL SHOPPING"? (Turns out, the gutsy fool "was" my husband's girlfriend)

As for letting ANYONE "into" my home, they must be invited. Weird as it sounds, I don't want folks with "bad vibes" to leave them in my home. Bonnie and Deb, I'm confident you understand.

Latest posts

Back