Divorce and MY horses, thank you all

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know at least in the past the rules around auctions for repossessing a horse were weak. You could run a small classified ad saying you were going to auction a horse. Do it on a day inconvenient for most, run it at your home. Sell each horse for a buck and screw the ex. (not literally of course!)

My "things" mean nothing to me. My animals mean everything to me.Find a TRUSTED Female friend preferably one he doesn't know about..

Sell every horse to her for $50.00 if you have ten horses, she will give you a check for $500.00 You can give him a check for $250.00

Cash her check( for the bank record) Do all the amha paperwork.

You can pay her back later and put the horses back in your name later..

If he complains about the money, tell him, Hey the market sucks right now!

I hate that women get nailed to the wall in divorces!

I wish you all the best,

Robin
I don't know about the laws in IN but, in OH, the horses in question are considered part of the marital property and cannot be sold at this time, and neither can anything else. I know someone in exactly this position, and they are STILL waiting for the judge's decision on the division of assets. The "final" hearing was back on Dec. 9. (And, trust me, it's not just the women that get screwed in a divorce!!) Unfortunatley, it may well happen that the horses will be sold at auction, and THAT's where your friends will be able to step up and help. Your lawyer really is the best one to advise you on this.

I just went through a divorce last year, and can relate to your frustration. My heart goes out to you!

If they sell them at auction I would get friends or family to bid and with the market down you may be farther ahead then trying to buy his share. Divorce always sucks. My mom always told me "there is a fine line between Love & Hate & it doesn't take much to trip over it" Good Luck
default_no.gif

I got a question and I'm not sure if it has been answered or not.

Who's name is on the papers of your horses?

Frankie, I am so, so sorry that you are having to deal with this.......lots of prayers and strength to you!

I'd like to offer an opinion....and it's only opinion so take it with a grain a salt. I would remove this post. Why? If he reads it and prints it.....he could try to use it against you. If he's vindictive enough to make you sell the horses....then anything is possible.

Not trying to scare you, just trying to help.

You've gotten some excellent advice from members here. I wish you all the best!

Last edited by a moderator:
The "type" of auction is what I would check into. Small backyard auction?, Auction house auction? Which?

And since he want 'his half', is he going to pay for 'his half' of all the feed, vet, farrier, board, etc., that you have incurred since he left? That adds up, ya know.

The more upset you get, the better satisfaction he gets. He knows how to twist the knife. Saying that, I know I would be in a murderous rage, but, that's just me.....

I wish you the best, and please keep us updated. Even way out here on the west coast, if I can help, I will. This happened to a friend of mine several years ago, and I attended the auction (fortunatly small backyard type) and bought her horses , (along with other friends) transferred them into my name and then sold them back to her.

Sue

added: Oh, and by the time all was said and done, he actually owed her money for his half of the upkeep of the horses. These were big horses. In California.

Last edited by a moderator:
My lawyer just called. The court sent over an order for me to get an Equine Appraiser.

To get a price on them, have to get 2.

Maybe to come up with a dollar amount I can use to trade him?? Not sure yet. But I hope.

Thank you ALL SOOOO much. Your support means a lot.

My lawyer just called. The court sent over an order for me to get an Equine Appraiser.To get a price on them, have to get 2.

Maybe to come up with a dollar amount I can use to trade him?? Not sure yet. But I hope.

Thank you ALL SOOOO much. Your support means a lot.

Oh hope this works in your favor.
default_wub.png
Good Luck

If he is entitled to half of the horses' value, he also must be on the hook for half of their expenses since separation - be firm on this point. When you offset the expenses (that you have paid for 100%) against the appraised value of the horses it may very well be that you don't owe him much at all.

Make sure that you attribute an amount to each horse for upkeep and care since the time of separation - make it as much as reasonably possible. Take into account vet and farrier bills plus board. You can charge significantly more for board if the horses have not been living at the marital home/property, but even if they have you are the person who goes out everyday to feed them and that is worth something. Don't forget to add up how much you have spent on feed and bedding. Also, if you showed the horses during the separation, count your entry fees and show expenses (hotel, gas, shavings, your food, etc.) as you can argue that showing adds to their value.

I'm so sorry you are dealing with this...it's just not fair or right. I don't have any advice just wanted to say "stay strong"...you'll figure something out and get through this nightmare.

How about billing him for all that nursing care and financial support when he was sick?!

I had a friend go thru this a couple years ago. Have the value established but make sure you use an appraiser that actually knows mini values. Right now they are very much down and they have to go by todays value not what you bought them for. Get the appraised value, write him a check for half, have him sign over all rights and be done. But I do agree then he is also liable for 1/2 the upkeep bills during that time and that is what my friend got.

I know it sucks but sometimes writing a check and being done with it is worth more than the stress of fighting

I agree with Russ -- print or copy all responses and then ask the moderators to remove this thread. If he is this vindictive, who knows what he might use against you. Paranoia has always served me well.

Take care, and I wish you the absolute best.

susanne

Thank you all so much for your help and concern.
default_wub.png

I turly appreciate each one of your responses.

There are a few reasons I am not concerned with the thread.

For one, he doesn't even know how to turn a computer on. Never cared to learn.

For another, as mad as I am, I am not asking for advice for anything illegal. I will abide by the law, but I also know there is more than one way to do most things. That is where my question came in.

It's not like my fighting for my horses is a secret with him, that is why he is doing this.

I will take the advice of my lawyer, and I will stay within the law.

Too, maybe this thread will help one more person who might be concerned with posting it here, but still need to know.

Jody, I cared for him right at 14 months over a 2 year period. So I had thought of that, just knew I wouldn't get it.

I might of been embarrassed any way, he filed for divorce after the last illness that lasted 7 months, so maybe I wasn't that good of a caregiver.
default_wink.png

Thanks

I'm so sorry you're having to go through this. Talk about stress! If something ever happened to my marriage(and you never know!) the animals would be what I'd be worried most about. I wish you good luck and hopefully some fairness will prevail. I definately would charge him for 1/2 the care of the horses since he's claiming 1/2 ownership. If they do force an auction I can't imagine the prices would be very high. If your friends "bought" them they could sell them back to you later. Good luck with this! I know you'll keep us posted.

What I did was I got my horses appraised, and then gave him half the money of their appraised value. I kept the horses, and he got the cash value of half their appraised worth. That way I didn't lose my horses and he got his share of the value. Wlorked out well for both of us.

Liz R.

THIS IS BS!!!!!!!
default_torch.gif
I am so sorry for your troubles! I dont know what to say! I dont know what to do. This is really cruel.
default_no.gif
My thoughts are with you.

So sorry you're going through this. As if divorce isn't hard enough, you've got the threat of losing your babies hanging over your head. Makes me mad as heck!!

As for getting an equine appraiser, that might be the best thing that could possibly happen! The values in today's market will be pennies on the dollar compared to years ago. Give him his $500 and tell him not to let the door knob hit him!
default_new_2gunsfiring_v1.gif

If you have to have an auction, please let all of us know so as many of us as possible can attend.
default_wink.png

Latest posts

Back