"Diminutives Treasure's Secret Gold"

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrystalPaths

Reaction score
I know more than I ever wanted to know about founder and laminitis. It is one of the cruelest equine diseases I have ever encountered. Some of you know my lovely Treasure was foundering about 10 wks or so ago, I did everything told but she continued to decline. Finally the last week or 10 days she was on complete stall rest and still with her up to 1/2 tab plus of bute 2 times daily it never touched her pain. Friday she looked at me with that look. I sat with her that nite brushing and talking and stroking her leg and hoof giving it all the magic I could send and I still felt a bulge in the bottom. I asked her if she wanted to go and she lay her regal head on top of mine and sighed.

I made the arrangements quickly. The backhoe was here at 9:30am Saturday, he picked a wonderful spot where I can see her grave always. Then he surprised me by coming up on the porch where he and his helper waited until 12:30 when my vet arrived.

As the vet (jess) and I walked quietly to the barn and she asked if I was sure. I said look at the foot. She cleansed it gently as I brushed her long mane and shook her head, she saw the coffin bone too. "Do you want her done right here? she asked. I said, "No, I don't want to drag her, I will walk her to her grave".

Jess shook her head and didn't believe she could walk. Honestly I knew it would be so hard for her but my Treasure has such dignity and grace. I haltered her and pressed a point on her that would numb her a bit, filled her with my Reiki, then asked her to walk out the barn on the soft side with me. OMG she did. Head up with me holding her she walked a bit and would stop and crop a few bladed of sorely missed grass, then she would walk a bit more. 3 adults watched as we approached slowly, each had tears including me by then. I t took her 10 mins to walk such a short way but she did it for me.

We stopped at the lip of her grave and she was so serene. Jess said to run get her brush, see, Treasure would allow anything to be done to her if you brushed her hair. She was like a little girl and you could feel her purr as your brushed and stroked. When that huge needle entered she never flinched. asked if I was ready I nodded and as I brushed her and told her I loved her she gave a final whinney and the girls in the barn whinneyed back and she was gone.

In the blink of an eye or less. The 4 of us gently lowered her onto a bed of soft straw in her deep grave. We covered her in a big comforter then I walked away to take down the fence that had shut down the paddock so I could finally let my other 2 (how can there be only 2 left) girls out. I fear Diminutives is dead, no stallion anymore, all my ladies gone but 2.

My heart is just so sad and it hurts more than I thought possible. She was my baby. I loved her from the moment I saw her all 12 ft legs and furry tiny face, and as she grew into an old soul and an elegant lady. She was only 3 and next year would have been bred somehow and what a child she would have had.

Diminutives Treasure's Secret Gold (she is in the center)5/23/05 to 9/16/06

PICT0051.jpg

Awww, my heart goes out to you! Brought tears to my eyes to read your story. You did a brave thing for your girl. She went with dignity and is now pain free.

God love ya'.

Fran

I am so, so, so, sorry. I feel your pain and cry with you........((((((((hugs))))))))

She will be with you forever in your heart...and you in hers.

Debs, I am so so sorry. I know how much your precious Treasure has meant to you and how hard you have tried to help her. She is now free from pain.

Someone put this on the forum a long time ago and it has helped me - maybe it will help to ease your heart is some small way, - "You have to think about their suffering first then our pain of losing them last!"

Hugs and prayers for you my friend, in your heart - you know you did the right thing.

Thank you for sharing this heart breaking story; I also have tears in my eyes, and can feel the love you have for your little girl. She was a beautiful lady, and I'm sure you will miss her dearly.

I am so sorry. What a loving caregiver and friend you are. It is never easy, but a last loving gesture. Lavonne

I am so terribly sorry for your loss. You did right by your girl when she needed you to the most. Treasure was lucky to have you!

Viki

Oh Deb! I am so so sorry!!! You are not alone in your tears. This post is heart breaking and I'm so sorry about your girl!

As sad as this is to happen at all, your story was beautiful. I could almost fill myself walking along with you. You gave her what every living things deserves, to pass with dignity. Things that you held close to your heart in life will stay in your heart even in death. Thats what makes memories great things.

You hurt now, so that she doesn't have to. What a beautiful tribute to your lovely girl. May you have peace in knowing that you did your best for her, and she knows that.

Oh my, like minimomNC said I felt I was there with you. You took something horrible and made it beautiful. I am sorry you had to go throught this and happy that your mare had you to take her on that walk. Bless you.

I know you know what I went through with laminitis and founder (tied to Cushings/IR) - thus my dedication to moderating the Yahoo Cushings/IR forum.

I am so, so sorry for your loss. Sometimes the only thing you can do is put your beloved friend to rest. Again, I am so sorry... :no:

Liz R.

I am so sorry for your loss, and know all so well the pain of doing the right thing for our beloved friends. Your story brought tears to my eyes. Hugs and prayers.

I am so sorry!
default_sad.png
It has to be heartwrenching.

I am so sorry for your loss! I almost didnt want to finish reading, but I had to...even thru tears. You brought peace and took away her pain and she knew that. She was a beautiful horse. :no:

deb im so sorry and wish i had some words to take your pain away but i iknow i dont. She was so lucky to have you as her owner. thank you for sharing your story

Latest posts

Back