diatomaceous earth

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2minis4us

Reaction score
I was hoping someone can tell me how much diatomaceous earth to feed a mini. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
What are you feeding it for? It's more of a"natural thing" that is widely believed to not work for fly and internal parasites, so most horsemen don't bother with it in favor for proven things. If you don't like heavily deworming your horses, then have your vet do routine fecals and deworm only when needed.

That said, if you're dead set on feeding it to minis for some reason, try 1/4 cup daily.

I don't know anyone who feeds it. I would just use a regular horse wormer.

The only thing ive used it for is filtering my fish pond water and for filtering home made maple syrup. A friend of mine used in on her chickens as a dust bath and said it did not work for mites. She tried using it on her horses but it just put them off their feed. I agree with Disney horse, the best deworming program is to accurately assess the situation and treat whats present, not over treat or just takeba shot in the dark.

Sorry I didn't elaborate... I am definately not dead set on feeding it.

I was reading about it on the internet and it sparked my curiosity. If it doesn't work that's what I need to know.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've used it on the ground, seems to help with fleas... but do not feed it to anyone.

Jan

I fed it to my dogs, for years, to control fleas and it worked great. Now I use vinegar for that.

Latest posts

Back