Dell Computers

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lisa

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experiences with buying Dell Computers? The actual computers, the service, the payment systems. I would like to know everything. Thanks!

A Dell is what I am currently typeing from. It has its moments that it tickes me off but its better then the others I have had.

Dont know about payments as I paid for mine all at once.

Havent had any major problems with it to need to have it serviced. I have had it for about a year now.

I do prefer the flat screens. Its speed is fast, has a few moments its slow or a few glitches, but I leave mine on alot and have a tendance to have way to many things running at once.

Over all I do like the computer.

I am also using a Dell and have done so now for almost 3 years.. I bought mine on time payments Just got it paid off...Had very very goos servive...it was shipped very promptly manner.. I can not Say anything bad about Dells,,,Before the Dell I had H-P and that and they still are very hard to open up and add say more memory and things like that.. Dells on the other hand open right up nd anything that may have to be added or upgraded in the future it is Such An Easy thing to do on A Dell compared to others. The only thing is their Interests rates are fairly high if you do the Time payments just a word of advice..Try to Pay a good portion of it so you are not running into paying much for the interests charges`!!!

Dell Finances the computer and other things ordered Themselves..They Do Not Use A separate finance company..and using higher interests rates many times many people can get approved credit from Dell after being turned down from other computer Cos from what ever reason.The Annual Percentage Rate is Very High at 29.99% Anybody will get approved with interests rates like that...I got mine paid off just as quickly as I could~!!!! And I have what is called or had should I say Regular Plan nothing special Ouch~! On the Interest rates. But for the Computers There are Great and any thing to do with Dell is very good Except like I say the Interest rates. All of mine friends now have gotten Dells when they have upgraded there systems and Just Love them~!!

Last edited by a moderator:
We have 2 dell computers. The one I'm typing on is a laptop, and we have one home comuter. I *HATE* them with a passion. We had a gateway before we got these, and I loved it. The dell laptop is less than 6 months old, and it had a 3 month warranty on it. EXACTLY 3 months and 4 days after we got it, the hard drive crashed, and of course, dell had nothing to do with it's warranty that had expired 4 days before. SO, $300 dollars later, we had a new harddrive.

Then, about 1 month ago, something went wrong with the motherboard on our home computer, so another $400 dollars later on that, it's fixed. Our Gateway was wonderful, we had it for 3 years (which is forever in the computer world), and never had an ounce of problems with it.

I will never own another Dell computer.

I also have a gateway, I love it. Before I had a sony for 6 years+ that was a GREAT computer but VERY pricey to replace with all the extras I have on my gateway. Still have my Sony Monitor, my husband has a Dell laptop for work he likes it alright. For financing we bought ours through best buy with 6 months intrest free, circuit city does the same.

We've had a Dell laptop and now have a desktop. We have always bought the extended warranty and been glad we did.

One thing I will warn you about is buying a Dell using their payment plans......don't!

The interest is killer!

MA

I have owned Dell, Gateway, Compacq and HP. The only one I would buy again would be a Gateway. I have used them both at home and at work and love them.

I'm still on my first computer, which is a Dell. I've had it over 4 years and it has never been in the shop (knock wood!)

So I have nothing to compare to.

We have two Gateways, we like them, tech support isn't real great unless you complain and ask to talk to someone higher up. Then they will put someone on the phone that can help you. So far not a problem with ours, will get another when it is time.
yes.gif

I have a Dell. We bought it last year and so far so good. Did make sure to get Intel parts inside.

This makes a big differnce to wither you will have problems or not.

What ever you do, do not get a computer with AMD parts inside!! Computers with AMD parts tend to have lots of problems and break down.

My advice...sign up to QVC (www.qvc.com) and wait for a Dell package to be the "todays special value" The PRICE will make it worth the wait....great deal with great extras, and usually includes a THREE year warranty.

If you need to "finance" it, they usually have an "easy Pay" thing where they break up the price into say 4 installments. If you put it in a credit card and do easy pay, you can just pay as much as you'd like each month, but it will be several months before the whole lump some is on there, so a little savings on interest. (I hope that made sense!)

Thats how I got mine a year ago. I got it 3 days after I ordered it, and I wasn't expecting it for 2 weeks! The only problem I've had is that the hard drive crashed, called Dell, they sent someone out and replaced it...no problems (just had to wait on the part to arrive!)

I like a Dell, a lot!

Thanks everyone! I placed an order with Dell today, for an Inspiron 2200 laptop. I'm excited! I just have to call them tomorrow with my bank info and I'm all set!

I think you'll be happy with your laptop.....

My son bought one a year and a half ago and it's been all over

with him....... He's in Costa Rica now at university and was in Guatemala

this summer for an internship.

His laptop was heating up, they mailed him the part and sent a technician

to install it, to a tiny island village up in the Mayan Biosphere.....

Pretty great service if you ask me.......

We have a Dell at home -- we financed through Dell - but paid it as fast as we could because of the high interest rate -- we also purchased the extended warranty and the AT HOME repair and support -- would not buy one over the internet from ANYONE without that ---

We like ours - but personally I HATE Windows 2000 -- what a pain in the butt -- I use it at work too -- a huge hog and SLLLLLOOOOOOWWWWW

We are happy with Dell.

JJ

I have a Dell inspiron 8600 laptop and I really like it - LOVE wireless internet.....

I just bought a Dell, and so far am very happy with it. I have always owned Gateway in the past, but it wasn't financially feasible at this time. However, in response to the above comment on Gateway's support, I had ALWAYS found them helpful, and precise, even in the middle of the night, which is always when my computer chose to do something funky.

Tami

We've got 2 Dells here. I bought my daughter a Dell computer-- it was a total of $400 with shipping and everything. Well worth it. The harddrive crashed in less than 6 months. I thought it was virus and worm infestation. Not exactly sure, but I am sure it was software related. I am using her harddrive somewhere else right now-- just reformatted it and installed a new version of Windows. It's working fine.

Luckily I had just taken a copy of the harddrive using Norton Ghost and had almost everything necessary to reinstate it. I can do the work myself, so it wasn't a problem.

They skimp big time on the stuff inside. If you upgrade on your own, you would have a hard time finding room to place a second harddrive. You can't do it with the ribbon cable they have anyway-- it only has one hook up.

HP isn't much better-- their power supplies die. I simply got another one for $30 and put it in an older machine that I rebuilt. (I rebuilt 2) They have proprietary drivers for their hardware and you have to be using more than Windows 98 to do it without downloading drivers from the Internet.

Toshiba is the best laptop out there, IMHO. But of course, you pay for it. And most people just need a basic machine anyway.

I've never had problems with AMD versus Intel.

Overall, I'm happy with the 2 Dells we have.

Please Please Please

Do not skip the virus protection and make sure your Windows is updated (critical updates). And back up your data, if not your entire machine. You'll be doing the dance of joy the first time you need it.

Latest posts

Back