Cross entering between A and B divisions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shadyacersminis

Reaction score
Im getting ready to show a Yearling mare in April, She is going to be a B mare..... Im not sure which classes to enter her in.... Is it possible to show her in Yearling mare Under division and show her in Over classes in all the rest of her classes.... I know you cant show in the same classes in both under and over divisions, it has to be one or the other, The reason I ask is because right now she is only measuring 30"... The Yearling mare over class is 32"-36" while the Under is 32" and under, so therefore she wont make the 32"s for the yearling class in over, the rest like Amature Halter Mare Over and and Color Over dont have heights listed..... I know for a fact she is going to mature around 36"..... My guess is you would have to pick either over or under to show her in.... Gee, I hope that makes sense
default_wacko.png
Im not really sure what to do

I am already showing a 2 Year Old 29" mare so I am booked on all the rest of the under classes I could show her in besides the yearling mare class......

Last edited by a moderator:
If she is 30" as a yearling, I highly doubt she will top 34", that is my first reaction to your post.

However, because of her size and age, regardless of weather she will end up a B or not, you will have to show her as an under. As a yearling, anything 32" and under is considered an under horse. I am not actually sure if the rules address cross entering in the context you explained, I'm sure they must, but even if they don't, and you choose to cross enter like that, you will get a lot of dirty looks, especially if you are competitive. Someone is sure to complain.

You have to show her in the division she qualifies for on THAT day. So if she is 30" she is an Under mare.

I wouldn't take that bet that she WILL be an Over horse, either, especially if she's only 30" as a yearling....
default_laugh.png

Lucy

You don't get to pick what division she shows in...it depends on what she actually measures the day of the show. It doesn't matter what she is GOING to measure as a mature horse....it depends on what she measures on the day of the show. (Or if measured for a show within 60 days prior to that show.) And if she is a yearling now and measures only 30 inches, chances are slim that she will actually mature over 34". Not saying it's impossible, but highly unlikely. Even if she has tall parents - there are lots of little horses that are out of tall parents (and visa versa).

she was a late season baby that caught me by surprise, I thought the mare had settled in foal by early summer since I pastured them togather in March... so I left her with the stallion all year to keep him happy, and guess what, she wasnt and must have bred late in the season... The filly is only 5 months old but the January 1st rule turns her into a yearling when she is infact a weanling.... She does have a very mature looking body though....

Here she is partially through a clip job....

frost.jpg

frost2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I just wanted to say....she's a beautiful yearling!

You get her to stand like that first picture and have her all groomed up nicely on show day.....your gonna get some looks from the judges! You will do well with her....best of luck and have FUN!
default_saludando.gif

Nice looking little filly, William.

We should also be at the April show, hope to see you there.

I know we will have nicer weather then we had in Marianna LOL

Gary

Of course you already got the rule that since she is a young yearling she will show in the under classes if that is where she measures. I also say if a under horse is important to you hold out hope- we have a Nov foal who is of course now a yearling at 4 months old so it is will be a bit odd for us to show a mature looking foal yet still very immature looking yearling this year.

Latest posts

Back