Critique

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I honestly was just as happy back when I just had "Eclipse" (first mini) and a few other non-show minis as I am now with some decent show horses.
That's a little bit of an understatement--your horses are GORGEOUS and you're very lucky to have them!
default_biggrin.png

Thank you
default_wub.png

But if push came to shove and we were to get almost out of minis, Eclipse would be on our short list of keepers
default_yes.gif

Just wanted you to know I think he is a gorgeous looking guy! Oh what I would give to have one JUST like him here!
default_wub.png

Not sure why a simple statement should turn out to be so contentious!!

And it is simple....it is something often said in the dog showing world, that the best dog in the show is always the one who comes home with you at the end of the day.

If you do not love your horses, and truly think, warts and all, that he is , to you, the best horse in the world, sell him and get a better one, as someone else will love him...see??

Simple.

I see... but a horse show isn't about the best horse "on the inside". Loving the horse in your back yard is about what's on the inside. I hope we all do plenty of that because that's important and what makes it worth having horses anyhow.

For a "real" show, it's about the outside and / or how they perform. My point remains that if you do not value the judge's opinion about how your horse compares to other horses (or if you cannot emotionally handle it), just don't set yourself up to hear that opinion as it's a lot of time, effort and money getting there.

Last edited by a moderator:
My horses aren't the best, they are nowhere near the best....but I couldn't love them any more if Twist were Del's Cowboy or Dancer were Boone's Little Buckeroo. That's what the person who posted before meant when she referred to the "best" horse being the one you're taking home. Because that horse is YOURS, the one you love and care for everyday...the one you groom and tend to, the one that is part of your family. (I don't know--I've only owned 2 minis and only for 2 months now--so maybe "that feeling" wears off if you have a lot of minis, or have had minis for a long time--but I'm still in the "honeymoon" stage and I still get stars in my eyes and a flutter in my heart when I look at my boys.)
default_wub.png

If I ever went into the show ring I wouln't do it thinking that my horses were better than any other out there (gosh, no!)
default_smile.png
, nor would I go into the ring not caring what the judge thinks--it would be a learning experience for me. Something I could do with my little guys whom I love so much. Would I want to win? Well, sure I would...but I wouldn't expect my little rescue guys could go out and beat horses from experienced shows homes handled by people with years of experience. I'd be happy as a lark just to have had the experience. But we could learn a lot, gain experience, have a little fun and meet new people.

Sometimes the journey is as important as the destination, and we all don't have to follow the same path to get there. Sometimes winning isn't everything, but what we learn along the way that matters the most.
miniwhinny74,

I just wanted to post to say that your post (above) was one of the nicest posts that I have read on a horse message board in a LONG time. It "touched" me.

I am new to the Miniature Horse, but I am not new to horses or to the "big" horse show world (various breeds). I always put in the time and the effort to turn my horse out to the best of my ability. Hours and hours and hours at the barn grooming and trimming my horse, conditioning my horse, training my horse, feeding my horse to look and be his best, cleaning my tack, etc., etc., etc. However, when I show I do it for the enjoyment of it and NOTHING MORE! I am not chasing ribbons or trophies or high-point awards or year-end awards or hall of fame titles or anything like that! I show for the enjoyment of it and the rest (ribbons, trophies, etc.) is just colorful icing on an already delicious cake. If I didn't win first place I didn't leave the arena or the show thinking I had the best horse or curse the judge or complain with sour grapes! I still had a blast and it was still worth my money, my time, and my effort to go to that show and to participate in that class. I did a lot of "homework" before I ever stepped into the show world and I always did really, really well (never left a class without a ribbon, never been last), but I still consider myself lucky.

Not sure why a simple statement should turn out to be so contentious!!
Geezy Pete! I couldn't agree more!
default_rolleyes.gif

Thank you, Angela.
default_smile.png

I really liked your comment about "icing on the cake."

default_smile.png
default_smile.png
default_smile.png

Just wanted you to know I think he is a gorgeous looking guy! Oh what I would give to have one JUST like him here!
default_wub.png

Thank you. He's come a long way from the fat, nasty pasture pet that I found 2 years ago. I'm very pleased with him. He had absolutely no training at 6 years old and they had kept him a stallion and never bred him. I bred him to my mare SG Blue Slippers and I have three other mares coming in for a breeding. I'm excited to see what he produces.

Because that horse is YOURS, the one you love and care for everyday...the one you groom and tend to, the one that is part of your family. (I don't know--I've only owned 2 minis and only for 2 months now--so maybe "that feeling" wears off if you have a lot of minis, or have had minis for a long time--but I'm still in the "honeymoon" stage and I still get stars in my eyes and a flutter in my heart when I look at my boys.)
default_wub.png
Nah, it doesn't wear off! I still look at Sunny and go "MAN! That's a gorgeous horse!" and I've had him for six years!
default_wub.png

Lucy

No, I agree, it never wears off.

Yes, I think some of my horses are better than others but that does not mean I care for them less because of it...they can't all be winners and a horse that is Champion at one show may get nowhere at the next show it goes to.

Jill, I have no idea any more what you are trying to say, I thought my point was perfectly clear and an obvious statement...of course we go in the ring for the judges opinion, but that does not mean we think less of our horses merely because the judge, on the day, does not care for our horse!!

To us it is still and always will be the best horse in the world, that, presumably, is why we choose to own it??

Right I'm done with this, it is getting silly and really OT, so let's just agree to differ on it, OK??

The horse is great, long may you enjoy him, and long may he be the best horse in the world, for you!!

Latest posts

Back