Cremello and Perlino website

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joanne

Reaction score
While researching information on my 2010 colt who is homozygous for black as well as homozygous for the cream gene I found this website:

Cremello and Perlino Information

This is what my colt looks like. He will always pass on a cream gene and can never have a red foal! He has tested negative for the frame and sabino genes and we believe he is a splashed white.

Rted.jpg
RtHeaded.jpg

Other breeders or owners with dilute gene horses m8ight find this website informational.

What a gorgeous little colt! He will be a good little buckskin producer (my fave colour
default_aktion033.gif
)

Last edited by a moderator:
I've always liked the Double Dilute site, it certainly helped me to understand the difference between all the creme dilutions.

Joanne, is your wee guy a smokey cream?? Sure looks like it
default_smile.png
What a little doll!
default_wub.png

Brenda I totally agree that the computer calculator is great, however this dilute site is fabulous to see at a glance what happens when you breed a dilute to any other color.

Yes, wiccanz he is a Smoky Cream! Excellent! He had me going. I had several back and forths with Animal Genetics until we did additional tests and figured it out. They came back with the double cream and thought he was a cremello.

As his color was a coffee ice cream color and his face and legs were clearly white I had them run a red/black test and he came back homozygous for Black!!!

Then I had to do some research on what exactly they called that combination.

We also found out that my "black stallion" was actually a smoky black and that is where the second cream gene came from.

Just when you think you understand all the possibilities.
new_shocked.gif

We also found out that my "black stallion" was actually a smoky black and that is where the second cream gene came from.

Just when you think you understand all the possibilities.
new_shocked.gif
It's so difficult to search for a smoky black horse when you want one just because of that! No one really knows if they have a smoky black unless they breed or test them, other than a foal from a double dilute parent.
default_smile.png
I've researched the dilute gene a lot, and many of my horses have it (2/3rds of them). But so far, no double dilute babies - and not even a SINGLE dilute baby in the past two years! Eventually, I'm sure I'll get one. Sometimes those statistics don't always play out how you hope them to!
default_smile.png

I've researched the dilute gene a lot, and many of my horses have it (2/3rds of them). But so far, no double dilute babies - and not even a SINGLE dilute baby in the past two years! Eventually, I'm sure I'll get one. Sometimes those statistics don't always play out how you hope them to!
default_smile.png
Guess I got lucky on my first try... Bred my palomino mare to my silver buckskin stallion and got a double dilute filly (registered her as cremello, but she could be any of the three, haven't tested, don't know if I will or not).

Own another mare registered as cremello, but looking at her baby pics, I'm guessing she is probably smokey cream.

This is my smokey cream as a foal.. I was fairly sure when I first saw him that he was smokey cream, and subsequent DNA testing confirmed that.

He is also that "coffee" colour, hence his name Chino
default_smile.png

9732629.jpg

In comparison, my cremello (Latte) was always as white as the driven snow.

4390550.jpg

Both are by the same buckskin sire, the smokey cream's dam is smokey black, the cremello's dam is (I believe) smokey silver black. Both dams were tested for cream.

It's so difficult to search for a smoky black horse when you want one just because of that! No one really knows if they have a smoky black unless they breed or test them, other than a foal from a double dilute parent.
smile.gif
smile.gif

Clearly the only way to insure you will pass on a cream gene is to have a double dilute in your breeding program, most significantly a stallion which will be able to do it with more frequency than a single mare can.

The smoky cream (homozygous cream and homozygous black) is a rare, and unique combination as you cannot produce a palomino or a cremello, but can produce buckskins, smoky blacks, and perlinos.

And as the horse is homozygous for black, if you breed the horse to a black based horse you have a 50% possibility of producing a homozygous black foal.

Black based horses remain in demand and with the guarantee of the cream gene you have other color possibilities.

Using the Animal Genetics coat color calculator, the chance of producing a smoky cream is really quite low. So it is understandable that unless you have a significant amount of black based dilutes in your breeding program, or just luck out and get one (like we did), you may never be able to get them.

The smoky cream (homozygous cream and homozygous black) is a rare, and unique combination as you cannot produce a palomino or a cremello, but can produce buckskins, smoky blacks, and perlinos
My smokey cream is Ee aa CrCr ... he is black based but carries red, and is therefore able to produce palominos if bred to a mare also carrying red. He cannot produce perlino unless bred to a mare that carries agouti.

Bridgid, he cannot have buckskins as well as he carries no agouti, unless the mare he is bred to has agouti.

I would think breeding him to bays would be a great option.

Bridgid, he cannot have buckskins as well as he carries no agouti, unless the mare he is bred to has agouti.

I would think breeding him to bays would be a great option.
Yes Joanne, I understand that
default_smile.png
He cannot pass on bay in any form, it would have to come from the mare.

Aren't colour genetics fascinating? So many possibilities, especially in miniatures.
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back