color genes

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reble

Reaction score
Just got a picture from his owner of my last year foal and was shocked to see him
Silver Dapple
Sire: is Black and White Homozygous Tobiano
Dam: Silver Frame Overo / LWO

I am very pleasantly surprised, we did not know what color he was when we sold him at 4 months
Picture when he was a foal
and now today a year later..

Just sharing, we just never know what is under all that foal coat.. with these little guys
Anyone into the color genes, just would like to know what are the odds for this to happen again?

Rocky.jpg

Rocky  New Home a.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
What a beautiful boy!!

If your mare carries one silver gene, you have a 50% chance of silver w/ each non-silver, black based pairing. If she carries 2 silver genes, you foal will always carry a silver gene. Silver is only expressed on a black base - won't show if the base color is chestnut - but can be passed on to offspring.

Can you post pictures of your mare?

Shading isn't known. I don't think anyone knows which ones will dapple out (like your guy- WOW - that is fantastic!!), either. Sometimes the mane is a "white" flaxen and sometimes it is dark. Our two darkest mares w/ lightest manes are heterozygous black and heterozygous silver. Our two lightest mares (shade wise) are heterozygous black & homozygous silver. The ones w/ the most different shading in their coats and dappling, are homozygous black & heterozygous silver. I have the silver w/ tobiano patterns - some are homozygous for the tobi pattern and some aren't.

I may have a 2013 filly who is homozygous silver - she hasn't been tested yet. Of course, she may be as light as she is because that's the shade she is, LOL! I have lots of pictures of 17 silver black, 1 silver smokey black, 1 silver buckskin and 2 silver bay ponies. If you'd like to see the pics, I can post the album.

Our most dramatic foal/adult photos are of LP Painted FlashNfluff (Flashi).

Foal pic (1 month old)

11may17fl115v.jpg

and when she was at Congress as a 2 yr old.

13jul12fla313.jpg

Feed programs, sunlight (fade/sun bleaching) and sweating all affect the color of the silver - same as with a black horse.

You can tell hes silver black in his foal picture but those dapples are just awesome. But I agree I don't think you can never predict if a horse is going to dapple out like that or the shade of silver black because shoot we have quite a few and they're all different shades!

Yep, obvious silver black in the foal picture, but of course that doesn't tell just what shade the baby will end up

What a beautiful boy!!

If your mare carries one silver gene, you have a 50% chance of silver w/ each non-silver, black based pairing. If she carries 2 silver genes, you foal will always carry a silver gene. Silver is only expressed on a black base - won't show if the base color is chestnut - but can be passed on to offspring.

Can you post pictures of your mare?

Sorry was not on for a while thanks for the reply's and comments

Yes here is a picture of the Mare when she was pregnant
Donna aa.jpg

Latest posts

Back