could he be a daddy at 1 year old

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are right Relic and it's just about to come to an abrupt end!
default_yes.gif
:

Opinions and personal attacks are two different things.

jane it was not my intenstion to rip anyone to shreds, i seem to come on at the same time as the gm time frame alows, i thought you were a bit harse thats all, im not in cahoots with anyone , i was just voicing my opinion, i didnt mean to belittle you, i just saw what you had written about terminating and asuming it was someone inexperienced, i do not honestly come on here with anyone,im usually on the sane time as you, im going to refrain from posting anything for a while as i cant seem to say anything right...................lifes too short

oh dear

i'm sorry my post began this, shall we just forget it now, i have all the info i need......... but i will let you all know if anything else happens here.

p.s are all the topics as lively as this??

by the way shane, don't stop posting.......all opinions are needed..to get the full picture!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow sounds like a bloody cat fight with some of you on here..hope you have a nice day.

Relic, you took the words right out of my mouth. oh, and you said it barnbum. really, irish mini, this is not tipical of this forum.

and really to answer your questions, your mares may be in foal, and let us know if they do come in season. and the colt is a little young to breed, and they probably cannot be regisered (it is just one of those things, rules i guess), but you can enjoy them for your own pleasure. raising foals will be very fun for you. every day is such a learning experience, espcially here on the forum. welcome, and feel free to ask us anything about ANYTHING. believe me you will have very many questions with broodmares.

Enjoy your minis,

Alex

Last edited by a moderator:
wow

you are all really coming out of the woodwork now!!

thankyou everyone, i have quite enjoyed this

when i discover how to add a piccie, i will post one of my " little stud"(thankyo barnbum for that phrase).

i didn't realise it was such a hot toppic!!!!

and yes, i will let you know if they come in season..... but then that poses another problem,.. will i have to take him away from his mares when they are in season???? poor lad will be sooooo lonely..

going to bed now!!!!!
default_wacko.png
:

just to clarify about the registry thing--it all depends which registry one deals with if a foal sired by a yearling can be registered or not. AMHA I believe has no rules regarding age, not for fillies or colts. AMHR on the other hand does not allow a foal to be registered if either of the parents were only a yearling at time of breeding. Ireland has its own registry does it not? So, you would need to find out if there are any age restrictions for breeding.

Time will tell if your colt got the job done. It's common for yearling colts to go through the motions if they get the chance, but many of those breedings do not result in conception. Of course about the time you figure that it won't happen because the colt is too young...that is when the mare will turn out to be in foal.

As for why it is a bad thing to breed with a yearling colt--the only real problem I see with it is it is bad for the colt's manners. The yearling that gets to breed a mare often hasn't had a lot of handling/mannering up to that point, and once he breeds he thinks he is really hot stuff, and manners (especially manners when the colt is out around other horses, say at a show) take second place to hormones. Of course you can overcome the lack of manners but it takes a little more effort than if the colt learns his manners well before he breeds.

There should be no additional problems with any pregnancy because the sire was only a yearling at time of conception. Now if it was a yearling filly that accidently got bred (by a yearling or otherwise) that would be a different matter. While there are cases where 2 year old fillies have delivered foals with no problems, if I had a yearling filly get bred, as long as I realized it early enough then I would have the pregnancy terminated.

As far as your question if your mares will have to be separated from the colt if they come into season again, I would say yes, because certainly he will be breeding them again next time around. Obviously if you have decided that you're okay with them being bred this year and you don't care if your yearling continues to breed them through each heat cycle, then you will leave him out with them. That is your choice.

I just have to say that if they are pregnant and you get two healthy foals then there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. I have an unregistered horse and he is just as good as any other and can perform as well as any other registered horse. Good luck with your mares and stallion.

Amanda

irishmini,

Just an FYI I dident mean to give you a sort of downer post, I just thought I would just tell my story, I really hope all goes well with youre mini's and your mini's have a no problem birthing,

Also I would love to see pictures of all of youre lil ones, and Im sure so would some of the others.

thanks,

Jennie

I can see where rabbit come up with the person being inexperiance. In her first post she made it sound like she purposely put the colt with the mares, then later says she didnt know at a year he could get the job done. That to me sounds like inexperiance.

:saludando: Hi irishmini .. all the best... it is going to be exciting for you for sure. i have to laugh at all this posting and who knows what for where ect. .. i look forward to seeing your foals and i agree with you to not to terminate. Have fun i am expecting our first foal in October i am in Australia and my 2 year old colt with 1 testi got my four year old mare in foal first go so i was a bit :new_shocked: but i look forward to this foal. In Australia you can have a foal registered with or without parents done . as for comments on the board i have sat and laughed at some comments for sure. :bgrin

TO answer your question (the way I read it anyway) No there arent any potential issues health wise for the foal (assuming one results from this breeding) due to the age of the colt.

It isnt a good idea for a yearling colt to breed a mare (on purpose) mostlydue to there age and not being mentally ready. I feel the same about a 2 yr old filly however many here breed 2 yr olds and have no issues at all.

Oops I see now that Minimor answered your question and better then I did for sure
default_yes.gif
:

Latest posts

Back