confession time

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OMG!!! This is the funniest thing I have read in a long time. The kids keep asking what is wrong with me sitting here by myself laughing hysterically. I think so funny because so true!! I see myself in so many of these posts.

Mine:

~I will run outside completely naked to get something from a vehicle or check animals.

~I go barefoot to the barn and through everything "left behind"

~I have gone to the grocery store in flannel pants, knee high mud boots and an old carhart coat (nothing on underneath)

~As we were leaving to go to my grandfathers visitation, a heifer was out so threw on mud boots over my hose and under my skirt and chased her back in (totally appropriate, he was a cattleman for 80 years)

~I will pee in a barn/trailer or show stall without a second thought but am paranoid about someone opening a porta potty door while I'm in there.

~I have changed clothes in the back of the trailer, back seat of the vehicle and in an open stall

~I have picked up afterbirth with my bare hands

~To keep tails and white clean on a show horse, will catch road apples in my bare hands, have also done this for show cattle but it is a little harder to catch

~As I type, my hands are yellow and smell like iodine (lambing now)

and maybe better be the last one

~When it comes to animals, I can stick my bare hands into any opening and/or pick up ANYTHING that comes out of one of them but won't sit at a restaraunt table that hasn't been wiped off.

Love the post!!! I would rather be with my horses then most people. My favorite dress is husbands old shirt no bra and pj shorts and old sneakers- live in then attire most days......can you tell I don't get out much? who cares the horses never complain how I look- but, boy howdy do they always look good- ribbons in the girls manes and braided. if they eat it-I've tasted it-that grosses my husband-but, that's how I found out 10 new bags of feed were bad! horses are like potatoe chips-can't have just one.........

OK, got to thinking of one more thing.Our neighbors and those that drive by our ranch during breeding season have taken a double take when we were breeding our 31 inch stallion to our taller mares. My husband was holding the mare and I was back with my stallion. I had him sitting on my thighs and he and I were doing the mating dance together. My husband got to laughing so hard he could barely contain himself. My stallion was enjoying the ride and by gosh we got the job done. We both needed a cigarette.......
I LOVE this! Hilarious.

--We live on 20 acres but RIGHT next to a major Highway...one of our stallion pens is also right next to the highway....many drivers have gotten a few shows during the breeding seasons.

--I LOVE foals and kissing their soft velvety little noses is one of my favorites!

--My brothers/uncle and me have had MANY horse poop fights.

--During the summer I put out a lawn chair in the mare's pasture and tan while watching the preggers.

--I don't wear makeup and you'll almost always find me in boxers, a tanktop, and big mud boots during the summer...winter I look like an eskimo (It's cold way up here!)

--I am also caught quite often peeking under mares tails.

--A few years ago during breeding time (between 10 am and 11 am), I had just bred a mare to a little bouncy and very vocal stallion named Sandune....after he was done I was bringing a mare to another stallion and had to pass Sandune's pen-he SQUEELED and YELLED and bounced all over and I said "Oh put it away, you already got some". I heard quite a bit of giggling and looked up to find that I had forgotten all about the roofers up on the house. They thought it was quite funny and one even slipped a little.

--I LOVE the smell of horses. It's by far the best scent there is.

--I have papers scattered EVERYWHERE with foals names that I conjure up and write down so I don't forget. One of these days I should put them all together...

--I don't wear shoes in the summer...Grandma makes me hose off my feet before I'm allowed to go in the living room.

--I use the house towels for foaling towels.

I'll think of more!

--

Last edited by a moderator:
[SIZE=12pt]This is such a fun thread!!!!
default_aktion033.gif
Thought of one more thing.....I confess I have tried things I have read on this forum I never would have normally done....Like tasting the mares milk....someone mentioned how the taste changes the closer they get to foaling....haha Never thought I would try that.....
default_wacko.png
Sometimes my husband wanders what I am doing, and I say well I read this on lil beginnings so I thought I would try it!haha
default_biggrin.png
Some of the things I have read and tried are awesome ideas, and a few, well, let's just say I won't try some of that stuff again!
default_wacko.png
[/SIZE]

God I feel so normal. LOL. Thanks so much for this. I thought I was strange until now. LOL.
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

I do all the same things!

These are so funny I almost choked...I'm just lucky Ij had finished my coffee already!

Laura and Syndi, you're killing me...

Okay...mine...Keep in mind I'm a hopeless dork...

Brushes, shampoo, scissors are interchangeable for horses and people...I have noticed that close to shows Keith hides his beard trimmer...

One of the few items that are not shared are thermometers. They are the same brand, though, so I wrote ANIMALS in sharpie. Then one day I was so sick and took my temp...then pleaded with Keith "PLEASE tell me this doesn't say ANIMALS!" Whew...

I often find myself telling horse and dog stories, THEN consider whether it is situationally appropriate. I've

been known to get telling horse stories to my business clients and notice them start to turn a bit green...oh well, they might as well know right up front that I'm a bit different!

One person I don't need to worry about is my mother-in-law. Back when Mingus was a stallion and before I had formed my opinions on selective breeding, I let a friend bring her mare over to breed to him. They put on quite a show, and my MIL took photos...

Keith considers it his duty to clean "rattlesnake skin" off of the boys members. Whenever one of them drops, Keith has to run over and pick it off...even if we're having a picnic...

On the other hand, he always remembers to remind me to pick the hay and horsehair off of my clothes and check my shoes before we go anywhere...

At horse shows, I'm so wrapped up in getting my horse ready that I barely remember to change, and seem never to remember to brush my hair....

ummm. well i hope my mom doesn't see this. XD ill go anyway.

~ when she wasn't looking me and my bff jumped on perfect for only like a min (total) and we never told her, but she saw my bff riding him and asked y she was on him and i said idk. : P

~ when i go to the 4h barn (goats, sheep, chickens, rabbits, perfect and cows) on hot days i wear flip flops and i usually wear then when i clean out the pens too.

~ Along w/ the flip flop thing, i got steped on by my cow lucy (she was very hyper that day) and i think she broke my toe but i still wear flip flops the da barn.

Ok, I'll try and play along. Some of these are just hilarious and a lot of them I can relate to!

~ I agree with most, I will pee or change in a stall at a horse show or a trailer and not think twice about it.

~ Both of my horses put their noses up for kisses if you ask them. (I just wish I could do that in the arena as my stallion likes to stretch his neck out so pretty for kisses, but I think the judges would look at me funny if I kept giving him kisses on the nose during a halter class!)
default_yes.gif

~ Like most of you, I actually love to do stalls and don't think twice about touching anything that others may think is gross if is off or on one of my horses.

~ I used to work for a vet and had a tougher stomach in surgery then any of guys my vet had working for him, but if it is one of my animals that is injured I have to be careful not to get dizzy with worry and actually had to go outside and wait when my boyfriends dog had to get stitches!

~ Once, when I was a teenager, I decided to get on the horse I leased while he was turned loose in the arena bareback, with no halter or bridle to guide him (Mind you his owner was outside the barn doing the rutine worming on some other horses). We walked and trotted and he ended up breaking into a canter and I didn't think I was going to get him to stop! Luckily after two laps I got him guided with my hands and legs into a corner where he stopped, and I, a little shakey slid off his back. It was a thrilling experience, but a careless one at that! :DOH!

I think that is all I have to share that I can think of!

I told him that REO could tell a mare in heat and I wanted to see if I could. He was actually relieved to hear THAT.
I can tell a mare is in heat from 30 feet away by scent.
I went to a horse show the weekend following my Dad's funeral because I knew my Mini friends would understand.

Me too Dana. But once in a while there'll be a group of mares standing together, none looking at the stallion, but gotta I find out which one is being stinky. (ummm I mean extra stinky!)
default_biggrin.png

That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!
default_whistling.gif

At horse shows, I'm so wrapped up in getting my horse ready that I barely remember to change, and seem never to remember to brush my hair....
Susannes sentence from above reminded me of something else. When at a horse show I am the groom, and my daughter shows... so I am forever running around gooping gel, rag to wipe boots and hoofs, etc, etc, etc and before they go in the ring I spraaaaay the fly spray. Well I also wear hairspray
default_biggrin.png
and a good friend of mine, Linda Killion, has on more than one occasion picked a dead fly out of my hair. :DOH! Every show I get shavings picked out of my hair by someone
default_no.gif

OH I thought of another one! I often find myself very hungry around feed time, and I always catch myself thinking how good the grain and beet pulp smell. I've even gone so far as trying beet pulp! It was disgusting, but I still catch myself with those same thoughts. Also, I've tried every kind of treat I've given any of my horses past and present. I just feel like if they like them so much, they can't be THAT bad. Some of them actually turned out to be quite tasty...I LOVE molasses treats LOL
default_biggrin.png

I'm thinking we have alot of family that is related and we didn't know it
default_yes.gif
default_yes.gif

I have always been a horse nut. I ran around with wet marks on my pants from bare back riding all the time and people would stare at me and then back away as the perfume hit them. I would just smile
default_wink.png

I have made horse treats and fed them to people at work to see if they liked them but didn't tell them what it was until the end of the day when they were all gone, heck I don't want to try them on my horses first - what if they didn't like them
default_wink.png

My daughters favorite pasttime is carrying around and sleeping with the foals. She will bring them in and give them baths and "make them smell good" with body sprays. And any hair ribbons that are handy. Needless to say we go thru alot of hygiene products and hair ribbons.

And I thought this was gross but it was a very good idea. If you have a foal die during birth put it in a garbage bag and feel until you know what you are feeling. I know many a lay person that would pass out doing it. But it has saved me a few foals now. My vets idea. What a smart man.

Odor. What odor. I think after a week of wearing the same barn clothes they stiffen just perfect for putting them on easily and repel visitors.

I don't want to be on Mare Stare because I would end up mooning half the world because I forgot about the cam. Sometimes those clothes don't go on fast enough and a dead run prevents putting on more.

Geeze it is SO nice to know that I am NORMAL - I will print all these out for my hubby to run thru to prove that I haven't lost it!

I do have a couple that are special to me, here goes:

I had a mare (Dancing in Diamonds, Erica) that was really close to foaling so had Rori come over to watch since I had to go to work for a very important breakfast meeting with my boss and some factory bigwigs - at a really, really fancy tennis club. When Rori arrived (with her newborn people baby) I was dressed in a really nice silk suit (yep, heels too) but had to show her thru the barn and introduce her to all the mares and give her the update on Diamond. Needlesstosay, Diamond decided it was time to foal - soooo, I stripped right there in the barn and delivered the foal (yes, of course I got soaked!) and then turned the mare & foal over to Rori to take care of. I did manage to rinse off with the barn hose, and made it to the breakfast meeting on time -- but I do admit that I definately had the smell of amniotic fluid wafting from every pore - and that is a smell that just doesn't go away very fast! Got a few interesting looks
default_new_shocked.gif
default_new_shocked.gif

& #2 - probably the best

I have had the sad misfortune to have lost a couple of foals at 55 & 70 days, and since I think that preserving them is valuable I had one of them in the freezer in a cereal bowl and another in the fridge in a little jar of alcohol or something similar. Now normally I don't let ANYONE open my fridge - but during one of our famous margarita parties I had people opening both the fridee and the freezer -- needlesstosay, there was a lot of screaming going on. Didn't bother me at all - kept the little bodies there until I could give them to the clinic to keep and they use them for education purposes with their new interns (glad I could help
default_wink.png
)

Stac

Geeze it is SO nice to know that I am NORMAL - I will print all these out for my hubby to run thru to prove that I haven't lost it!

I do have a couple that are special to me, here goes:

I had a mare (Dancing in Diamonds, Erica) that was really close to foaling so had Rori come over to watch since I had to go to work for a very important breakfast meeting with my boss and some factory bigwigs - at a really, really fancy tennis club. When Rori arrived (with her newborn people baby) I was dressed in a really nice silk suit (yep, heels too) but had to show her thru the barn and introduce her to all the mares and give her the update on Diamond. Needlesstosay, Diamond decided it was time to foal - soooo, I stripped right there in the barn and delivered the foal (yes, of course I got soaked!) and then turned the mare & foal over to Rori to take care of. I did manage to rinse off with the barn hose, and made it to the breakfast meeting on time -- but I do admit that I definately had the smell of amniotic fluid wafting from every pore - and that is a smell that just doesn't go away very fast! Got a few interesting looks
default_new_shocked.gif
default_new_shocked.gif

& #2 - probably the best

I have had the sad misfortune to have lost a couple of foals at 55 & 70 days, and since I think that preserving them is valuable I had one of them in the freezer in a cereal bowl and another in the fridge in a little jar of alcohol or something similar. Now normally I don't let ANYONE open my fridge - but during one of our famous margarita parties I had people opening both the fridee and the freezer -- needlesstosay, there was a lot of screaming going on. Didn't bother me at all - kept the little bodies there until I could give them to the clinic to keep and they use them for education purposes with their new interns (glad I could help
default_wink.png
)

Stac

AHAHA :DOH!
default_biggrin.png

Good Stories LOL.

Phew! I guess I can consider myself somewhat normal... I always get worried that im the only one out there thats like that!

- I too LOVE the smell of horse... When my new barn first had horses in it I would leave a little pile of poop and bedding in the isle to try to get the barn to smell like horse faster.

- I like mucking out stalls!

- I work at a pet clinic and dont find much disgusting. Ive been caught eating food while looking under the microscope at poop samples or while watching a cool surgery. But if people come in and they are even sniffling with a cold I wash my hands and feel the need to sanitize myself immediately.

- When we have had cesarians on dogs and cats, sometimes the bulb thing to clear the airways doesnt work well as it doesnt seal. We have found you can get a better seal sucking it out yourself - tastes kind of gross but when you see a pup or kitten taking its first breath and squawking at you it doesnt matter and you get ready for the next one! Then I forget to brush my teeth because its usually around midnight when I get home.

Alright theres my confessions... lol!

I forgot to add something... but its not horse related. One time I cut my great dane's toe nails with my husband's toe nail clippers... of course I never told him!

Robin

default_new_rofl.gif
default_new_rofl.gif
default_new_rofl.gif
default_new_rofl.gif
default_new_rofl.gif
default_new_rofl.gif
default_new_rofl.gif

Good to know I'm not alone! Here are a few, I might add more later-

~I can't clean my room no matter how long I stay in there, but my barn is pretty darn clean in minutes if something's out of place.

~I honestly can't remember the last time I bought something for myself.....last thing I paid for were horse treats and 2 fancy, bright barn halters.

~I wear flip-flops (if anything) in the summer, mucking out stalls, and then will wear those same flip-slops to the store. My mother doesn't let me bring them inside, they tend to smell ripe after a while!

~I'll spend hours clipping one of my horses, making them look nice, and ten minutes taking a shower afterwards.

~My horses own more hair products than I do, and sometimes I end up using them.

~I'll sit in the barn or paddock for hours with my girls.

~I'm guilty of giving tons of kisses, treats are ALWAYS in my pockets, I don't mind cleaning the girls if they need it, I don't mind cleaning stalls.

~My horses are in better shape than I am.

There are probably a few more as well.
default_wacko.png
This is a great post!
default_biggrin.png

I have hay in all of my coat pockets, and even in my purse.. I often have to weed out the hay from my change when I am paying for something..

Often I will clip a horse down for photos and not clean up before pictures, because I dont want the horses to get messed up.
default_wacko.png

My husband just found a load of beet pulp pellets in his coat pockets, and wondered what it was..lol

He calls my mini van "the hay wagon!"

Latest posts

Back