companion animal help

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunni1900

Reaction score
I am looking at getting a goat to keep my stud company. Any advice? Yes? No? Male? Female? HELP!

I am looking at getting a goat to keep my stud company. Any advice? Yes? No? Male? Female? HELP!
I can not advise putting a goat with a mini - sorry - minis are a lot bigger than goats and really could hurt or even kill a goat. Also if your fences are not goat proof ( the saying if the fence will not hold water it won't hold a goat is almost true ) the goat will get out and doubt you will be happy with that - goats love to jump on things - even cars ! I think another mini - a gelding might be a better companion.

We have Nigerian Dwarf goats and minis, but not together. I also don't recommend it. They eat different grains, goats chew the horses' manes and tails. If they're not dehorned it can be a death sentence when they get caught in a horse's tail, etc. Best companion for a horse is another horse.

Last edited by a moderator:
What Jill said.

My daughter also has ND goats but never together. Why not get another Mini from rescue or auction. It will save one meeting a sad end and be the perfect companion for your Mini.

Lizzie

My concern is that he is a stud and I dont want the gelding to get into trouble with him.

Unfortunately another Mini may NOT be the "perfect" companion for your stallion. Some stallions do get along fine with a gelding for company, but it is also possible that the stallion will be too rough for a gelding companion. I would suggest a gelding, but only if it is possible for you to have them in adjoining paddocks. That way the horses have each other for company, but the dividing fence keeps one from harming the other. If they get along together, great, if not it's good to have a backup plan.

Likewise keeping a horse with a goat does very much depend on the animals. I have a stallion that lived with a sheep--an old, ancient ewe--all summer & he got along fine with her. But, he was out on a good sized pasture and also had a mare for company. I have geldings and mares here that I would not put out with a goat or a sheep for fear the horse would hurt the smaller animal. It is also true that a goat may chew off the horse's mane & tail. I don't think all goats will, but some definitely do!

Stallions make great geldings if that's worth thought... I like it when our stallions get to live with their mares but when not, they socialize and groom each other through the fence.

I have had goats, but never in with the horses. I agree that you better have really good fences to be able to keep them from getting out.

I ultrasound my mares and put the ones in foal back in with my stallion, it keeps everyone happy!

He is my replacement stallion. I just wanted him to have someone to play with as he is a foal

Since you plan on using him as a stallion AND he's still young, this is probably the BEST time to introduce him to a young GELDING for a companion. If he were a mature stallion, I'd probably say it was a gamble. You may have to locate a pet quality intact colt and have him gelded.

Please don't get him a goat companion. Not a good idea.

A gelding should work fine for him, unless there are mares nearby that he will feel possessive about. Then he COULD attack the gelding.

Are you sure he is not content by himself and in no need of a companion?

I was in this situation and thought that a standard shetland gelding would make a great companinon for my lil boy..not too small for him to get hurt by a dominant stallion I thought
default_rolleyes.gif
sadly it was the gelding that ended up bullying my mini
default_unsure.png
I know hes a softy but something else to consider..thankfully he belonged to a friend so he went back home to live.. you could borrow a gelding maybe see if it could work istead of buying and commiting just a thought
default_smile.png
sheep make good companions too
default_smile.png

I also do not recommend a goat...as others have said they can destroy/get out of fences and also if they are not de-horned, they can (and one of mine HAS in the past so yes it is possible) gore a Mini!!
default_new_shocked.gif

If he is a weanling, I would "get" him a gentle gelding as a friend. We did that...had a weanling stallion in with a "bottom of the pecking order" mature gelding...and to this day they can be together, even with mares around. Helps the weanling with social skills being in with another horse.
default_yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
It is very true that goats will chew off tails and manes - I had it happen this past Spring! The goats ran in a pasture next to one of my stallion paddocks and I went out one afternoon and was cleaning the stallions paddock and noticed he had almost NO tail...was maybe 2" or so below the tailbone! I was so upset as I was planning a photo shoot for him for journal ad pictures and he had a multi colored tail and I didn't want to have to edit that in as it would have never looked right
default_sad.png
. The goats had reached through the fence and chewed it off, and he is the kind of horse that of course would have stood right there and let them do it too......

My father has about 50 goats that he breeds, sells and raises. We have one pet goat that has free roam of the barn and she does really well and the ponies do not bother her at all and vice versa. Also, we have a rooster that has free roam of the barn and the ponies all enjoy it when he ventures into their stall and roosts.

I would just look into another horse
default_smile.png

I've had goats with my horses for years and I recommend the practice to clients.

Doesn't always work, but in certain situations its worth a try.

Dr Taylor

I see no reason not to have a goat with a mini. If the are introduced correctly then they can be life time friends. I have had a Nigerian Dwarf goat with my mini for 6 ½ year. My first goat, Dobby, was Trey’s (my mini) best friend. He loved his goat and I never saw any problem. I lost my Dobby goat to mouth cancer in February and Trey never stopped looking for his friend. I got another goat, Maxwell, in June and when I bought him home Trey heard the goat’s bah. He thought it was his Dobby. When I came into the pen with Maxwell Trey smelled the goat and then tried to strike at him. So I had to keep the goat in his own space for a couple of weeks and then Trey decided that Maxwell was as good a friend as Dobby was. Now they eat hay together, play and sleep together during the day. At night both Trey and Maxwell have their own stall where they get they own type of grain and hay. I do believe that the goat needs a safe place in case the mini gets silly. Maxwell has two different sized cable spools and with a ramp to the tallest one and a dog house. It works really well. I know that most people believe that a mini needs another mini but I don’t think it always works for everyone. Twice the feed, hay, farrier and vet bills are not what I can take on. I can trim the goat’s feet, give my own shots and don’t have to worry about founder or colic. I did have rather large vet bill for my Dobby goat due to his cancer (more than $1000) however that was the only vet bill that I had for his entire life, which was way to short. So I say be careful, introduce wisely and go for a goat WITHOUT horns! Debbie

I raised pygmy and fainting goats for years, and they just wandered around with either the dog or horses. Never had one chew manes or tails, and the only thing I watched for with the horned goats, is to never feed the horses their feed, with the goats loose.

I still have one ancient doe who owns the place, and she decides whether to be in the fence with the horses, or out eating my shrubs...
default_rolleyes.gif
She is only contained at night because of the coyotes.

One thing you will need in order to remain sane and keep a goat, is a sense of humour; but it is worth a try.

default_wub.png
default_biggrin.png
:BigGrin

I have an Alpine girl goat (no horns) and she hangs out with both my 2 riding horses and my 2 mini yearling stud colts. Everyone gets along fine. I also have a 6 month old dairy steer that is in with everyone as well. Everyone seems to know their place in the herd.

He is my replacement stallion. I just wanted him to have someone to play with as he is a foal
Another foal to play with or a gelding should be good for him or a bred mare will keep him in line too :D

My stallion was with a gelding for years even bred his mares (hand breeding taking mare in then out right away) with him in the pen. Right now our stallions are together and are in the winter but not during breeding season. Our young stallion has been with the older one since he was young so they get along good. Just not when mares are in heat.

Marsha

Back