colts clipped (somewhat :) Now what color

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TPs flat rock acres

Reaction score
Ok so I clipped my two colts. One looked like a buckskin before clip after clip I have no idea what color he is. lol. The other a bay now I am not sure what color he is either both are for sure apps. Can someone tell me what their color is. Please don't look at the clip job. clippers were getting warm so had to quit, had no one to help me do their heads which they didn't like. and I am still learning
default_smile.png
one on left was the bay the one on the right was the buckskin

thanks

921502_10200295950616125_571585268_o.jpg

Ok so they are still that color the bay almost looks silver now another photo of his back closer but actually the buckskins color is almost similar. I am confused now lol

945250_10200295938735828_761191607_n.jpg

The colour will often look quite different after a clip. I had a buckskin colt that clipped out nearly black, like you I was confused lol. But he really was a buckskin he just had a lot of dark hair(in his case because of a sooty gene )

Last edited by a moderator:
The dam for sure is a buckskin/ pinto and sire is a few spot appy color not sure maybe grey so I guess I will have them color tested love to know what they are just curious. In getting them colored tested what do people usually color test for in colors.

testing for black, cream and agouti (the gene that causes the black to be restricted to legs, mane and tail in bays) will tell you whether they are bay/buckskin.

I cant believe you would put photos up of these 2 ugly little ones...dont you realize Diane and Renee try to steal all the ugly horses....especially ones with super ugly spots!!! I wouldnt put them on the Foaling threads thats for darn sure!!

What color are the parents? Is there anything you can rule out, like silver? If there is a chance the sire is gray, then you should test for gray. Are you sure they are black based (and not chestnut)? Then you don't need to test for red/black. When Max was born he looked "red and white" but I had tested his dam and knew she couldn't produce a red foal, so he had to be black based. That is when testing comes in handy. Turns out he was silver bay and then turned gray. Since you can only get gray from a gray parent, you might want to test the sire and if he is not gray, then you don't need to test the foals for it.

They are both gorgeous looking boys! I have no idea about colours but bay horses often clip out to a dark grey/mouse type colour if that helps? And yes, as Heidi says, you had better hide these two from our friends Diane and Renee. LOL!!

Pardon? What is that suppose to mean??????

I cant believe you would put photos up of these 2 ugly little ones...dont you realize Diane and Renee try to steal all the ugly horses....especially ones with super ugly spots!!! I wouldnt put them on the Foaling threads thats for darn sure!!

I was really thrilled to see how many spots they had I couldn't believe my eyes. No Sire wasn't tested I will have to see if I can get him tested. I don't own him anylonger. Will have these both tested as I would just like to know
default_smile.png
thanks

Ha ha Tpsflat acres: .. I think it was an obvious fun pun joke of how cute these little spotted babies are. They are so pretty and no one can deny that they are tremendously cute- so its safe to joke on them being ugly. I caught the pun.<br /><br />Oh, I at one time attended a wedding where the father at the reception made a comment, that with a daughter as ugly as his was, he was worried she wouldnt get married.(Everyone knew that his comment was quite far from the truth with 'reverse' humor.) I still didnt like the joke really toward his daughter, but knewthat because his daughter was unusually beautiful - undeniably so to all present, he felt he could say that and get a laugh and so much so that even his daughter was confident with her father joking like that but embarrassed as he was actually bragging and boasting at what a beautiful daughter he had.. So... also the ugly foal joke was just a reverse humor pun. A lot of my Okie relatives do this and many people don't get it. Sometimes my grandpa would say embarrassing things when I introduced him to people.. like.. 'Youre not mean as she said you were.' Ahhhh.. that was his way of joking.. not everyone got it.

I didn't know how to take it as I am new to the minis not to the dog world. I know these two aren't "top" quality but love them just the same so wasn't sure if it was a joke or if someone really meant it I had no clue. that is why I asked

Such beautiful long legs too. How did they do for you clipping them. Was it hard to do on them at this young?

They were actually very good but got tired. I had no help and I know its a bad clip job so they don't look really cute..... I did try though lol. 1st time clipping a foal. Near the face and ears not too happy so thats when I stopped. lol

I think you did wonderful . .. Our little foal is looking so shaggy. My photo opportunities were so slim as now she just looks so terrible shedding her coat. I am going to try to clip her and am not sure how it will be.

Pardon? What is that suppose to mean??????

I'm the "Diane" they are referring to -- as a breeder and LOVER of appaloosas/pintaloosas, I'm always threatening to take the "ugly" (meaning beautiful) appy babies!

Your little on on the right is a leopard/near-leopard pintaloosas, with GREAT patterning for a pintaloosa. He will be quite the looker as he matures and looses that baby coat.

You other little one is also a beautiful boy.

What color were the parents of each? With the buckskins, they can be from the soft creamy buckskins to the "sooty" almost black buckskins. Even one that is almost black will still be carrying a cream gene, which is why you test for cream.

What is the name of the sire? Perhaps we "know" him and can tell you what his base color is, then we will have an idea what colors he could produce with the baby's momma.

They are just beautiful, and I look forward to seeing how they test out.

What pretty patterns on your two boys!!

I have LOTS of different color changes on ours when they are clipped - some of mine even truly looked "blue" or "pink". it's often harder to tell on a clipped baby what color they really are until their coats grow back in properly after clipping.

Dianne already posted - but I think you will also see color changes if their appaloosa patterning changes (right Dianne??). Varnish roan, leopard both will affect the rest of the coat (the base colors are still the same!).

Dianne you will for sure want to grab up these uglies as their granddad is Spotty
default_smile.png
what color do you think they are? now that they are clipped? I could'nt believe the spots so excited!

sire of the colts [SIZE=large]CCMF Gorgeous George out of Sweet waters texas spotty and CCMF Clouds Charisma you know what spottys color is
default_smile.png
and charisma was a blanket I will attach a photo of George. He was about 3 yrs old in this photo if I remember not the best clip job sorry
default_smile.png
still learning [/SIZE]

also what do they mean by Refine? would you consider these boys refine? legs are like sticks! lol

Now I have to learn how to take some really good photos of them

georgeclipped.jpg

Back