CMM *Melody foaled a palomino pinto colt on 3/12/14*

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good to hear! Poor little darling
default_sad.png
I'll be keeping her in my thoughts.

Good news about the x-rays - now praying for a speedy recovery, bless her.
default_hypocrite.gif

Summer is doing MUCH better! She is currently happy as a clam
default_smile.png

I think I felt a kick or 2 tonight, but could just be me going crazy... LOL

Summer has a little sibling that will be joining her at my barn in just under 2 weeks! A 2012 filly! I only have a handful of photos from the breeder so I am debating on sharing them or not hehe

Cant wait for her to arrive!

OMG poor Summer! I only just caught up! I'm so glad that she is on the mend... poor sweet girl!

oh did you put the pic up on FB? she is VERY CUTE! :D love her!

So glad to read that Summer is feeling better - and a new sibling, how exciting!!

Keeping my fingers crossed that the movement you saw is a kick!!

Ok I will share a few photos!

Introducing.....

SMHCs Exclusive x Little Kings Buckeroo Xena

Born April 10, 2012

She doesn't have a name so would LOVE suggestions! Both registered and barn
default_smile.png

Her fuzzy shots were just taken 3 days ago, Robin says she has a ton of presence and I cannot wait to meet her! I keep going back and forth on adding another to the load so she has a playmate but my other favorite sold. I am thinking I will hold out and get another when its something I really LOVE like this munchkin!

I know these photos are a tad hard to judge (and I am new to the mini world) but her face is slightly long in her foal photos right?

Cant wait to show photos when she arrives!!!

IMG_4107.JPG

IMG_4125.JPG

IMG_4128.JPG

IMG_4139.JPG

IMG_4143.JPG

IMG_4149.JPG

IMG_4909.JPG

IMG_4990.JPG

What a pretty girl!
default_yes.gif

She doesn't look too long in the head to me, but even if she's a little longer than the norm (these days) it is no bad thing - leaves a bit more room for developing teeth IMO. If she gets on well with Summer and Summer is willing to have some 'play time' with her, then you probably dont have to think about another companion for her, but the little ones do need to spend a good bit of their time racing and chasing around for their health and development and if Summer IS in foal she may be more reluctant to play as time goes on. Guess you will just have to see how it goes!

How is she related to Summer - sorry but couldn't trawl back through all your posts to find where you had mentioned Summer's parentage.

Once again, many congrats - she is just adorable!!

Summer and the new filly are not related (at least not to my knowledge). I wish we knew Summer's bloodlines! I meant sibling as in little sister cause she's joining the family
default_yes.gif

Any name ideas?!

She's lovely!

Paddock name I'd go with "Gabriel" or "Gabi" for short as in the tv show 'Xena' Gabriel was her best friend
default_smile.png

Show name I'd go with using "Exclusive" and add something else into it.

she looks lovely.

salt and pepper for as reg name and maybe pepper for paddock name

Thanks everyone! Love the name suggestions
default_yes.gif

Bree I really like "Gabi" I was also thinking along the lines of including Exclusive in her show name! I still have a lot of thinking to do...

She was just weaned 2 days ago and leaves the farm to head to me on the 10th or 11th, and I would really love everyones advice...

I have never had something as young as a weanling, let alone VERY newly weaned. She is not halter broke so that will just ad to all of the stress since I am sure she will be very weary of us! That isn't an issue since I have worked with several wild horses but I want everything to go as smoothly as possible for her!

I know ulcers are likely in weanlings right? Plus she will be leaving all of her playmates when she gets dropped off to me... What should I do for her feed wise? I will also consult my vet but all of you aunties have done this for YEARS and years so would love your help!

love the name Gabi!! soo cute! good work Bree!

what has she been on at home? you should slowly wean her onto your food if your going to change it, but probably whatever she is getting now is the best... something like a mare and foal feed as thats good for growing bones...
default_smile.png

I'm sure the others will have some good ideas too
default_smile.png

she is gorgeous! you have sure snapped up a good one!

I'm just awesome that way
default_wink.png

If you wanted to use both parents names:

Exclusive Buckeroo Princess

Exclusive Warrior Princess

Exclusive Amazon Princess (ties in if you use Gabi as a paddock name)

If you just wanted to use Exclusive then:

Exclusive Edition

Exclusivly Yours

Exclusive To You

I'll see if I think of anything else!

I find the greatest help for avoiding gut problems in roughage and plenty of it, my weanlings either get lots of grass or lots of hay! It's good to keep the system moving along while everything else is changing. This year I may put them on a preventative supplement just as a precaution. Mine also go back onto the feed they started life on, oats, lucerne and a good mare & foal feed.

If she has been out at grass most of the time at her breeders, then that is the main thing to continue as any change will only add to the stress her system will be under. Other than that I agree that you need to ask what else she has been eating and to continue with that, then perhaps changing her over slowly to a good quality stud or weanling feed if you are not happy with what she has been receiving.

You say that she will be 'dropped off' at your place? How far will she be travelling? Who will be doing the transporting? As an unhandled baby doing her first journey the transported will hopefully be one who is sympathetic, who will give her a careful journey in comfortable conditions. The first experience of travelling is so important to help avoid problems/worries in the future!

Love the name Gabi by the way!
default_yes.gif

She is a doll! I saw her on the Little Kings site and thought that she was ADORABLE! So glad that someone on the forum got her so we can watch her grow up! I like Exclusive Buckeroo Painting or something like that? Gabi is cute for a barn name too!

I REALLY like the idea of using both Exclusive and Buckeroo in her show name!!! She is traveling from Indiana to Massachusetts. I am very happy that she was weaned just shy of being 6 months since I have been told thats a good age to wean. Thankfully she will be making the entire trip with several other weanlings she has spent her whole life with
default_smile.png
I am sure that will help in making things a bit less stressful for all the babes. The transporter is actually the same person I have used for all my rescues I have previously shared. She has handled everything from mares and foals to wild mustangs.

I will contact the breeder regarding what she is currently being fed, and keep it exactly the same until I decide to change it. Would any of you girls add something to prevent ulcers or anything at all after a long haul like this?

Any other barn and show name suggestions? Love everyones ideas!

My mini mare confused me for a long time, and sometimes you can't even tell until like a month before they foal, unless you get an ultrasound to confirm it!
default_smile.png
BTW, Welcome!!!!
default_smile.png

If you can, I would suggest that the (adorable by the way) filly be given Ulcergard or Gastrogard FOR the trip. Can you get it to the seller and had them give it prior to shipping and then each day during the trip if more than one day? I would keep her on that for awhile once she arrives too, and play it by ear depending on how stressed she seems. For a weanling, probably 3-4 "ticks" on the dosing syringe will be enough for a daily dose (same for both GG and Ulcergard) so one big horse "dose" will last awhile. Alfalfa of some type would be another idea. I always ask for (and get) enough of the current feed so they can be transferred over to any new feed gradually.

Latest posts

Back