CMM *Melody foaled a palomino pinto colt on 3/12/14*

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does Ulcergard come from a vet? How would I know how much to have them give?

Back to Summer for a minute... Just got home from the barn and when I got down on the floor to check underneath Summer, her udder was very different. From behind when you move her tail aside you can see each side and the bag is now hanging and very visible between her legs. I think I sound very dumb the way I am describing this LOL

Best part is I took my camera to take shots of everyone outside on this beautiful day (since we have had rain for a straight week) and I never realized my camera was dead till I took it out at the barn
default_sad.png

I don't even want to post the photos from my phone cause they are honestly that bad!

The bag was not firm, but so visibly different especially hanging down in the back between her legs. How far out could she be with these kinds of visible changes?

Ok so finally charged the camera and when I got to the barn OF COURSE her udder had gone down in size...

I took a bunch of photos anyway so mine as well share right?!
icon_biggrin.gif

Call me crazy but the more I think about it I definitely think Summer might have appy blood. The whites around her eye and underneath where her udder is her skin is definitely mottled. Before she started growing her winter fuzz depending on the light you can sometimes see specks near her flank area. Is this at all possible?

Wish I had my camera yesterday when her udder was about double the size from underneath and behind, I know its normal for it to change sizes but so wish I would have shared photos with everyone!

Her tummy also looks a bit more dropped in person, and you can kind of tell from her behind photo.

In a couple she thought she would stretch and show everyone her pretty head and neck! The last photo is of Summer and "her" kid Laina
default_smile.png

DSC_0466.jpg

DSC_0467.JPG

DSC_0539.JPG

DSC_0541.JPG

DSC_0568.JPG

DSC_0593.jpg

DSC_0475.JPG

DSC_0471.jpg

DSC_0568.JPG

DSC_0680.JPG

DSC_0630.JPG

Well I think Summer is cooking you something very nice!!
default_yes.gif

Will be interested to see the pics of her possible 'spotty bits' too.

Okay, here's what you do. Take a close up of her muzzle/nose, take a close up of her eyes, and let's see what we can see. How about one of her hooves, so we can see there also?

Such a pretty girl!
Agree with this! At the moment I don't see anything obviously appie... just her LOVELY minimal splash markings!
default_wub.png
(Not that I'm biased, LOL!)

I have been very busy and haven't even gotten good photos lately but took a couple of Summer the other day and she was and has stayed VERY large on one side. She has been breathing heavy on occasion and peeing like a race horse. Other than that she is super happy and moved over to our new horse property today along with the new filly
default_smile.png

I will post the couple photos of Summer and then another post with the new filly who I think we are going to call Luna... Not 100% sure though.

DSC_0604.JPG

DSC_0471.JPG

DSC_0558.JPG

DSC_0723.jpg

Are you coming into winter over there? Shes looking more like a teddie than then last photos I saw lol. Still a pretty girl tho. Hows she going after that accident?

Yes the cold weather arrived last week and today was 75 degrees... The joys of New England!!! She is doing much better, thanks so much for asking
default_smile.png

Ok the new filly arrived at 130 am and was a nightmare to catch on the trailer, was expecting this though as she is completely un handled. She is SO much prettier in person than she was in any of the photos from Little King Farm, they so do not do her justice!!! The photos I am going to share are terrible because she is VERY nervous and is just in her new stall. All the foals that came together seem to be not feeling well, I can't for the life of me get her to eat her grain. Loves her hay and she is drinking but wont even attempt to try the grain. My friend noticed tiny yellow like things on her front legs and she said they are bot eggs... I have never seen or had to deal with these...

I wish she wasn't feeling under the weather
default_sad.png
I hate seeing a sick baby!

Her color is so cool in person and the photos I got of her before I purchased her didn't even show some of her markings. She has the sweetest face and eyes! Oh and I LOVE her tail
default_smile.png

I know I have more to say but in the last couple of days I have had zero sleep... I will come up with a million questions for you all as soon as I post this I'm sure LOL

I cannot wait to get proper photos of this new munchkin
default_smile.png

DSC_0484.jpg

DSC_0491.JPG

DSC_0483.JPG

DSC_0471.jpg

DSC_0470.jpg

cutie baby girl! she is gorgeous!! and soo fluffy!
default_smile.png

Summer is looking good
default_smile.png

showing some lopsidedness so she may be cooking something yet! :D

Summer's looking good!

Your new girl is a cutie
default_smile.png
Do you have a handling plan for her? I've found a lot of the unhandled minis come around fairly quickly, they're such a loving breed!

Summers belly is looking bigger
default_smile.png
lets hope theres something in there other than food
default_smile.png

Congrats on getting the new filly and getting them to their new place. Filly is cute!! Glad to hear Summer is doing better. The filly could easily be suffering from ulcers since she is clearly under stress from the move. Not eating grain can be a sign of ulcers, especially when she is eating hay. I would treat her with Ulcergard or even human Omeprozole in the same dosage. Or even Maalox ... something to cut down the acid in her stomach. You can get Ulcergard without a prescription.

Oh she is gorgeous, many congrats on her arrival. Travelling is pretty traumatic for lots of horse, let alone a weaned, unhandled baby, bless her. I agree with the others, give her anything to help soothe her tummy plus some preventitive Ulcerguard. I wouldn't worry too much about her not wanting her grain at the moment - it will be new to her. Keep going with the soft hay (and alfalfa if you are going to try it) and let her just settle in. Another thing - if she has been used to eating grass then it is very important that she continues to have access to it. Changing from moist green grass to just dry matter will upset her system anyway, possibly leading her to get impacted colic, plus this wont be helped if you are going to/have to confine her to her stable for a few days.

I always feel so sorry for the babies - losing their friends, new homes to get used to, new people and a new routine, bless them it's no wonder they get stressed! She's a very lucky girl to have found such a caring owner and such a lovely home with new special friends waiting to make her welcome.

Summer is looking great and that is a very interesting tummy she has there!
default_yes.gif

Just wondering how your sweet little girl was doing - hope she is feeling a bit more settled now?

The filly is now name "Rue" and completely loves us now
default_smile.png
she can lead and has even come outside with us!! Was an exciting for us and her yesterday!! She thinks scratches are the best thing in the world and is constantly "talking" to us! Vet is coming out tomorrow to check her over and guess what... Palpate Summer!!!

Summers udder was larger again yesterday and I haven't had the time to share photos. I will get more today of her and Rue and share when I get home!

Sorry my spelling and grammar are so terrible in that post... I'm on my phone lol

Great news about Rue - thanks for the update!

Good luck with the vet and Summer - keeping my fingers crossed for you.
default_yes.gif

UGH! Rue was worse this morning and actually wheezing with every breath, thank god the vet came today! She had a 103.3 temp and we had blood drawn because the vet thinks she may have pneumonia. She has been happy and bouncy till this morning, seems sad and grumpy and just sits in the corner of her stall. So wish the vet could have made it out before today. They put her on injectable antibiotics and banamine for the fever. I will find out early tomorrow morning about her blood work and if she has pneumonia or not. She was a super sweet and patient girl, until about the 2nd needle poking... Then she reared and flinched at every movement
default_sad.png
she was nervous after that again, so I just sat with her until she warmed up again. She is such a love bug and its complete torture to see her sick like this.

Summer was palpated by 2 different vets and neither of them could get far enough inside of her to feel a baby or not. They said they could only reach near her very large bladder. Vet said its more than safe to assume she is pregnant and most likely much farther along than the bare minimum of 5 months that she could be at. So wishing I would have a clear answer, oh well.

I plan to purchase a camera and have it installed in Summer's stall hopefully in the next week or two. I plan to put her on marestare but NO clue how it all works..... I do not live on the property so the camera can't be wired to a house... Any suggestions? I know nothing about this!

All the photos are from 2 days ago, we have had bad rain so will try to get new ones tomorrow!!

486971_10151285969223478_116120509_n.jpg

DSC_0710.jpg

DSC_0705.JPG

DSC_0483.JPG

DSC_0496.jpg

DSC_0556.JPG

DSC_0630.jpg

DSC_0681.JPG

Awww. poor little Rue. I hope she feels better soon. So exciting about summer! Her udder looks alot like my Izzie's!

Summer keeps pressing her bum up against the wall... Not sure if that has any relation to anything but I have never seen her do it before.

Botty rubbing is quite normal in a lot of mares towards the end of their pregnancy.

Big hugs for little Rue - hope she is feeling a bit better today.

Latest posts

Back