CMM *Melody foaled a palomino pinto colt on 3/12/14*

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Come on Summer!!

How about a couple of pictures --a side one and one from the back looking down her sides and if possible move her tail aside so we can see her udder.

I can't believe she is still hanging on!

Crazy girl!! Lexi you should put the pic of your marestare helper up
default_smile.png
so cute!!

Is she still dripping milk? I would be about concerned about that if she is because that is valuable colostrum.

Okay, between Summer and Sadie I am in full mode of praying they foal soon for you guys and safely!! Lordy, at least I didn't have to deal with the *signs* of impending foaling! Come on girls!

OK, since Summer has been waxed and ready, BOTH of our mares at On Target Miniatures foaled. Dancer actually waxed for a tiny bit before she foaled and I posted a photo on our thread along with pics of her colt. Now Summer, it is time for you to get with the program!!!

COME ON SUMMER!!! THE TIME IS RIGHT and we are ALL waiting to see this little one!!!!

Do we have a picture of how baby is riding from the back looking down her sides? I want to be sure baby is in the full "GO" position, so we know what to expect when she FINALLY decides to let us see that precious little one!

Picture please!

Mary I am a tad jealous of your 2 stunning foals!! They are just perfect, those mares need to give Summer a phone call!!

I will get pics in little bit. Diane or anyone who can answer from personal experience....

I was told that when mares stay at this ph for this long or hold out for awhile this low they often almost always have something wrong... Ex: red bag, not presented correctly or anything else that just isn't "right." Does anyone know if this is the norm for a mare who has been "ready" for so long?????

Keeping your vet on speed dial is always a good idea and a quick phone call to keep him updated daily on the situation wouldn't hurt either. How long has she been dripping milk now? and how many days exactly has she been testing ready?

I would bet that Heather at Mare Stare would know. Can you contact her - maybe through FB?? Or ask this question on the main forum? Or do a forum search there? Dancer's pH stayed high, but it seemed like - externally anyway- she made no real changes for about 3 weeks. Baby was in position, udder stayed the same. I would be a bit concerned about the dripping milk.

BTW, when Dancer showed signs of looking like she was going to foal - a good 20 minutes or so before she went down - I rang my vet's wife and SHE passed the message onto him that Dancer was about to foal. He was in the next town, not on the next street where he lives. Then Darlene called back during the foaling and my husband stayed on the phone with her just in case we ran into trouble due to the tight fit. Actually, he was going to hang up (typical male!) and I said NO, please keep her on the line..

My vet has been peeking in at her twice daily, but she is also the one who told me to never touch her udder.. Haven't even discussed the ph with her.

One week ago today summer was at a 6.4 and on April 30th I tested and she was at a 6.0 around 2 in the afternoon. My nearest vet hospital is almost an hour away in case of emergency. Trailer is right outside the barn but I am praying and hopin with everything I have that I don't need to take her anywhere. I am just getting nervous. Tonight her udder is rock hard, hardest I have felt yet. I don't know if baby is in position. She hasn't rolled in her paddock for at least 3 days which isn't like her. Every night it seems like "go" time when she goes down, only thing she has left out is pushing and delivering. I will contact heather.

If her udder is harder that is a good sign, there is always one of us here day and night so try not to worry too much. I am sure all will be fine. As soon as you see here starting to look unsettled and different to her normal routine give your vet a call and let her know. The mares this year are just holding out forever
default_thud.gif

We had a mare here last year who showed ready and held for almost a full week.

If your vet is checking on her twice a day, and not alarmed, then I would think everything is fine. How far away is that vet?

So, she's only been at 6.0 for 3+ days then. One of the reasons I wanted that picture is to see how baby is positioned, so we know if it's looking like it's in the "GO" position. I've never personally had one hang on this long -- but when you deal in "averages" we know there are some that are "off the charts" at both ends, so she's trying to set a new record.

I think if there was a problem, you would see her doing a lot of rolling. Mares seem to know when baby is not in a good position, and roll to move baby around. If she's not rolling, then perhaps baby IS lined up and ready to go.

The key is to never hinder momma from rolling. Even when they are foaling -- some will know, for example, that baby is getting hip-locked or something similar, and "nature" tells them to do some rolling -- even staying on their back for a bit. I believe that "nature" knows that gravity will naturally rotate baby a bit, and loosen a hip-lock or reposition a baby so that it can be born naturally. I never try to keep a mare from rolling or going up and down when she wants during foaling. So allow for freedom of movement if that's what "nature" is telling her to do.

If you're worried, call the vet, let them know she's been testing ready, but has been holding.

If her udder is hard, tonight might just be the night she decides to go! Let's hope so, and we're praying for an uneventful delivery of a healthy little one. Make sure your foaling kit is ready and within reach. Have your vet on speed dial, just in case. Know that you may have to assist as it might be a tight squeeze, but that's easy to do, We're all here for you, and will be here for you until this baby is safely on the ground!

Remember the sigins -- she may become agitated, she may pace her stall in circles, she may go down, up and down, up and down, etc. Or, she may do none of these and just lay down and foal with hay in her mouth! That's the fun part -- you never know quite what they will do -- but if you keep good notes this year -- you sure will know what to expect next year! LOL

Come on Summer -- let's get this show on the road.
default_pray.gif
But, we're perfectly willing to have you wait until daylight, if you'd like!!

You have received some great advice here already, and I think it is really good that your vet is taking an interest and will hopefully be on call and available if necessary. I would like to add a couple of what I call "dont wait until" situations.

3 to 4 minutes of serious contractions with nothing appearing, dont wait, call the vet, better that he comes to find that a foal has arrived than wait any longer if something is wrong!

Next "dont wait" is when you see the small white bubble appear - look for the two feet, one slightly behind the other, try to make sure they are the front feet (!), as the legs emerge a little further (just past the fetlocks) carefully feel up inside the vulva for the hard 'knob' of the approaching nose, it should be lying approx level with the knees or just beyond them. Only one leg or no nose up past approx knee level, dont wait, call the vet!! (with one leg only, do have a little search for the second one, sometimes it is just hooked over the top of the head and you can pop it back to where it should be!) Try to feel/search without breaking the white bag. And if you do have a wrong presentation, then it is a good idea to get the mare to her feet and walk her slowly round her stall if you can, this can help take the 'force' out of the contractions and help to keep things on hold until the vet can get there, which will make it easier for him to push the foal back in to give room for any adjustments.
default_yes.gif

I'm sure Summer will be fine, she is a maiden mare after all, and they do love to keep us guessing!! They day that the foal chooses the day and the mare the time, so perhaps you need to get down and have a few word with the little person who is hiding in her tummy so annoyingly!!

How is she doing this morning? Any new changes? Remember, we're here for you, and we're praying she has this precious little one for you this weekend, so you can fully enjoy playing with baby over the next couple of days!!

Keep us posted!

Latest posts

Back