CMM *Melody foaled a palomino pinto colt on 3/12/14*

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks so much Mindy! It has been a crazy year full of ups and downs, thats for sure. I definitely think your lovely little Summer will beat mine! But ya never know! So glad you joined us in the Nutty Nursery!!!
default_smile.png
Nutty Nursery. Love it! We'll be lucky if any of us come out of this without going nutty, that's for sure!
default_new_multi.gif
default_closedeyes.gif
default_new_rofl.gif

Well Summers hair has been coming off in clumps and since I have no idea when we will be meeting her little one I thought I would clip part of her belly and her udder. Please don't laugh to hard!
default_risa_suelos.gif

This is the first time I have clipped anything besides a bridle path or whiskers. I have always just hired someone who knows what they are doing when it comes to clipping. But on the bright side I am SO proud of Summer! She was weary in the beginning and on her right side for a few seconds but WOW, I am still amazed at how awesome she was! She has come such a long way and is so trusting to myself, my younger sister and my mom. So happy!
default_biggrin.png

Ok so I said don't laugh to hard but hey what the heck, I am still laughing at how bad it looks LOL!!!
default_new_rofl.gif
default_new_rofl.gif
default_new_rofl.gif

Doesn't the inside of her hooha look quite red, or is it just me? Forgot to mention that the udder pic was taken before I pulled the clippers out.

DSC_0808.jpg

DSC_0827.JPG

DSC_0821.JPG

DSC_0818.JPG

DSC_0817.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Aww! She looks great!! I think for your first time you did a really good job!! Her *area* looks really dark to me!! Seems like she should be ready to foal since its been what? Like 9 months since you started this thread ?

She is very pretty!!

Thanks Viola and Mindy! I tried LOL

I just went and plugged in some dates with the foaling calculator. According to the people we rescued her from she "came in with" a stallion on May 21, and supposedly was pastured with him and another stallion prior to that. But not to positive about that. I do have a video of her being led and in the background is the stallion and the video was taken on May 21. So IF she was covered and it took on May 21, 2012 she would be at 315 days today. But thats only a guess. If she were covered the very last possible day she wasn't yet in my hands, that would be July 7, 2012. Which would leave her at 268 days today. I personally think she is much farther along than 268 days pregnant, so if she was pregnant back in May we may be seeing a foal very very soon!

Oh you certainly wont be waiting until June to see this baby! LOL!! Another couple of weeks or so, but not 2 months or more!

I think she looks great and you've done a great job clipping. I think your Summer and my Raven might be in a race to see who foals next. Summer is so pretty. I can't wait to see baby pictures.

Oops, I just confused two horses both named Summer, both pregnant!
default_frusty.gif
Oops!
default_new_rofl.gif
I think I compared the two vulvas on color too. Whoa. I need sleep!

Last edited by a moderator:
I definitely don't see her holding off another 2 months.... Not sure if she will even wait 1 month.

Took a few photos tonight, but I need help with a few questions! She was out of her stall tonight with my sister and myself and all of a sudden she started limping behind. Checked feet and she didn't step on anything but it was the back left which was bothering her. The foal was very active tonight, you could actually see the movement. Could that movement have made her so uncomfortable she would seem lame?? I was told that pregnant humans can have issues if baby "sits" or "touches" a nerve. Can this happen with horses?

I called the vet and texted her over 5 hours ago.... Still haven't heard back. I would have had her come out, but nope hasnt even called back. Calling someone else tomorrow. No fever, and happily munching on her hay.

The other question.... What does it mean if there is a sugary/salt looking substance on her udder? You may have to zoom in on the udder pics to see it.

DSC_0807.jpg

DSC_0808 3.jpg

DSC_0828.JPG

DSC_0831 2.JPG

DSC_0820.jpg

DSC_0826 2.JPG

DSC_0810.JPG

DSC_0821 2.JPG

Yes the way that a foal is lying can affect the movement of its Momma. I have a mare here who has never had a stifle problem in her life (nor did any of her many children) but during the last couple of weeks of several of her pregnancies she would 'catch' her left stifle. As soon as she foaled everything returned to normal - it was the extra low width of her body that 'threw' her movement out.

By sugary substance are you talking about what you can see on the ends of her teats? This is quite normal and is just a small secretion from the teats as they are filling.

She's looking good - not much longer now I think. Will she still be at the barn to foal - will you be able to sit with her/somewhere close overnight there or will you be able to get her home?

Anna it kind of looked like a stifle issue tonight, she just seemed out of whack. Just 2 days ago she was running around like a crazy lady! Now her left leg is bothering her
default_sad.png

No the sugary substance is like tiny white specks all around the udder, not the tiny 2 dots at the end of her teats. If you zoom in on the second udder shot you can kinda see it.

Yes she will be at the barn she is at for at least another week, and I wont move her if I think she is close. Although my farm is only 5 mins away, and home is 15 mins away. I am working out a schedule with a couple friends who will probably be staying with me in the viewing/tack room overnight and we will take turns running downstairs to her stall. I bought an entire camera system to have hooked up just to find out that the wifi/phone lines were just recently disconnected/canceled at this big facility. Go figure! I was so darn excited to have her on camera so everyone could keep an eye on her.

oh poo! how frustrating!
default_sad.png

sounds like baby is making her uncomfortable... if she is still doing it after she foals or if it starts to really affect her, get her checked by the vets... but I should think that it will pass
default_smile.png

she is looking really good by the way! thats a pretty good V she has going there at the moment... a bit more filling and she will be good to go! you better call those friends for thefoaling party! lol won't be long now!

I agree with the others, baby could be causing a nerve to flare up or it could be a stifle issue, I would think it will be fine as soon as baby moves but a check by your vet wouldn't hurt. We can only go on what you tell us but a vet will get the full picture.
default_smile.png

Alright well Summer has been acting slightly odd. This morning on my 4 and 5 am checks she didn't greet me at the door and didn't want me near her. She kept walking in circles around the stall to get away from me. Tonight she was walking with her tail slightly held up and kept biting her sides. Also on the back of her hooha you can see red/brown looking discharge. Could this be the mucus plug?? Does anyone have photos on what it actually looks like? Do they ever foal without an elongated, puffy hooha? I am running on 3 hours of sleep and will do another 3-4 checks tonight/early morning.

Her udder is not at all impressive but her tummy disappeared from behind! Would love to know what you all think.

DSC_0825.JPG

DSC_0824.JPG

DSC_0819.jpg

DSC_0811.jpg

DSC_0820 2.jpg

DSC_0810 2.jpg

DSC_0827 2.JPG

Latest posts

Back