clipping foal

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cherylsminis

Reaction score
I know this was posted before but I didn't get a chance to read it. I have a foal that was born Tuesday with long foal coat. I noticed that she was sweating (in the shade) yesterday. The temperature must have been around 85 degrees. Is it safe to clip her now or will this coat fall off fast?

Hmm, I'm not sure how to advise, so I'll bump.

I clipped mine later than that, but it wasn't that hot either. I don't know the reasons not too, so wait for someone who knows what they're talking about.
default_yes.gif
:
I'm bumping you up, Cheryl! I know that you're patiently waiting for an answer!

I have clipped my first baby(black) twice already and he is 7weeks old(first clipp at 1 week) clipped the second at 4 weeks, his coat wasn't as thick. I also had 2 babies born this week the black one will be clipped in the next few days. I also stall the new ones in the heat of the day. I live in Fl. and it has been in the 90's everyday for owver a week and no rain.

When I clipped the first one it was hot but not like it is right now, you should have seen him he was so happy running and kicking up his heels.

Sandy

Thanks to all of you for your opinons on clipping foals. I did go ahead yesterday and clipped alittle. I may clip her the rest of the way tomorrow. i do want her to be comfortable. Thanks again,

Cheryl

My little guy was born May 11th and I clipped his head and neck a couple days after he was born, he was so overheated (his stall is fully covered too so he is always in the shade). If you are concerned about your weather changing back to cold, you can do what I do with my babies and clip WITH the fur not against to leave a little bit of fur to protect it from the elements without blanketing. I don't think these tiny foals (or ANY foal) can regulate their body temperatures very well.

Andrea

Latest posts

Back