Clinton Anderson club?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PonyKnit

Reaction score
Anyone join Clinton Anderson's No worries club? Used his materials exclusively for minis? I have been a member before for awhile. Don't own a horse, but was looking to learn all I could. Now after our move to a 1 acre lot, we decided to get miniatures. Have always loved them. Plus with both of us getting older, I feel staying closer to the ground is best
default_smile.png
. Would love to show and drive. I have wanted to own my own horse ever since my family moved to town from large farm. I had a pony, goats, calf, rabbits and chickens and had to give them all up when we moved. Broke my heart. Taken 27 years but I can now have a horse of my own! I am very excited! I have been reading about horses, training etc for many years.

So back to my posting question. I do like Clinton Andersons horsemanship, and am wondering if there is enough training info that I can use with minis to justify the monthly cost, including the magazine and DVDs. Since alot deals with riding, can one use that info toward driving with minis?

Sorry to ramble on....

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not a fan of Clinton's. He is pretty aggressive and harsh with his horses. This is apparent to varying degrees, depending on what he is doing. In his training videos he didn't seem as bad to me. On his tv show and also live, I don't like it.

I'd invest in some material from John Lyons and Alexandra Kurland.

I have studied Clinton's method in the past and was a member of the NWC when it first started. There is a lot of content in the magazines. I feel it is a good value for the money, just don't care for the way he works with the animals.

My two cents, for what that is worth.

Ive tried some of his meathods with my gelding.. Didnt get ANY results (could just be me) but after talking with clinton himself i dont think he has a whole lot of exoerience with minis other then the one he owns...

Thers no way you can do the EXACT same thing with them that you can with a full sized horse evrything needs to be modified and ive gotten SO fustrated trying to find his mini DVD with NO luck

Personally IF your only going to have minis i wouldnt go out and spend hundreds on the NWC since half of its in saddle work at least for me its not worth it im unable to ride so what do i need saddle training info for?

I have big horse friends who are very into the Clinton Anderson methods. They are relatively new to horses though, and it's been a help to them to learn a structured way of doing things. Can't help you as far as minis though.... what I use is an accumulation of years of big & small horse experience, and what I have picked up over the years from many trainers including John Lyons, etc.

Where are you located? You might be better off finding someone local to work with..

Jan

Thanks everyone. Am thinking that a good percentage of club stuff would not pertain to minis. But does any riding training pertain to driving minis? Also anyone used Clinton's halters/leads with minis? Size?

I've been a member for a few months now. I like what I'm getting for my $20 a month. I've been very pleased with the few products I've purchased. I have not put the time and effort into using the techniques he uses but the little bit of work I have done has impressed me quite a lot.

ETA: I did buy their smaller rope halter and it works fine. Take the measurements as described on their website and it will tell you what size to buy. I also bought the kid sized "stick" vs. the full size. Being a smaller horse, I didn't need as big of an area around me so the smaller "stick" size works well. I bought the standard length training lead rope (14ft?). All are really well made. You get a pretty decent discount by being a No Worries club member.

If you buy the halters from him, use a mini sized lead with them. My friend had them make halters for her minis, halters are fine but the leads on them are ridiculous for minis.

Jan

I wouldn't recommend you purchase a thing right now. Especially any tack. Just because it says "mini" size such as a halter it may not fit the one you don't own yet. Instead, stick around here and learn as much as you can. You can go to youtube and bring up a lot of videos about learning ground work with horses. Be sure your zoning will allow equine and keep in mind just because minis are small, doesn't mean they don't need adequate space. Plan out your 1 acre area wisely. Best wishes to you.

Yes we are zoned A-1. I know 1 acre isnt alot, but we dont plan on having more than 2 minis.

Not ready to buy haters etc, but I am gathering as much info as possible.

I'm a member of the NWC and I say 90% of his groundwork exercises you can do with the minis. I've had great success with it and my mini placed 3rd in open halter obstacle at AMHR Nationals using his methods 1st year in obstacle, so it does work. I really haven't used any of the riding exercises to do with the minis when it comes to driving as alot of it is off by feel in the saddle and getting them really soft and supple but I think doing the groundwork makes it easier for them in the cart.

For a weanling you can buy a newborn halter and for a A size mini a foal halter should work. B size you may have to go with weanling size, but I would look at the diagram on his site and measure before I buy them. Love his rope halters, will never go back to nylon ever again. IMO for training I like the 14ft lead ropes, great for lounging them but for everyday use you can ask them to make a custom lead rope and I ask 10 ft. His lead ropes are very nice as well.

Clinton has always said his exercises work from mini to draft. They are a horse, no matter what size.

Jamie is right. I have followed Clinton's training method since 1999. Many of the No Worries Club members are also or instead of large horses, miniature horse owners and successfully use Clinton's Method on minis. He is not harsh or cruel. People who do not follow and understand his methods do not realize most of his comments are Australian humor. Anyway, all of his exercises are based on ground exercises. Many club members are now older folks who cannot afford or want large riding horses any longer and have miniatures. Miniatures are horses and everything applies to them as it does to other breeds. Clinton has also put out an entire RFD show on miniatures. He is now in the process of making a trick training series since we members have begged for one and one of our last club DVD's was on trick training which makes training routines fun and interesting for the horses.

My miniatures were featured in his 2010 Spring/Summer Journal, we have many fun contests which many enter pictures of their miniatures in. Right now we have a Halloween Costume contest going and all of us are having so much fun that everyone cannot wait each year for it to begin. My mini Kamaole' won one of the contests. We have many forum topics including safety, health, senior people, new to horses, and so on. Everyone loves the miniature horses in the club and we all constantly learn more than just training, support each other, and someone is always there to help with an answer to someone's question.

Downunder makes me halters and lead ropes in any size I want. I have a lot of the 10 foot lead ropes which are for me the perfect length, and I love the material. I bought small sized trigger bull snaps to replace the larger ones on the leads for my younger and smaller minis. I buy most of the time, the foal size halters for all my minis, mine are A size, and I use the kids size handy stick for training. You will find a lot of threads on the clubsite pertaining to miniatures and a lot of other breeds, sports etc. It is worth the price of club membership $19.99 a month, you get much more than that, Clinton always delivers more than you expect. Their company has the best customer service, they give away a lot of expensive equestrian items, free Tour tickets each year.

I also want to add that besides Jamie (JMS) we have another club member who breeds and shows miniatures and everyone loves to see and read about their champion stallion's latest accomplishments.

Thanks rubyviewminis, I intend to look into his club, it sounds just what I am looking for.
default_yes.gif

Thanks to all! I am looking to join the club again. I sure like the look of his halters and lead ropes and handy stick along with the great discounts.

Back