Classic K Miniatures~ ring test results...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That would be great Cassie, thanks
default_smile.png

I'll type it up tonight for you Renee, sorry for disappearing again end of month start of new month crazy times lol

I have a question... my Finnley bug has diarrhea (sp) / scours... he has only got it the last few days he is still happy but he has it quite bad this morning I noticed (it was too cold to wash his back end properly this morning but when I go home for lunch soon I'm going to give him a good wash but what can I do to help?

cirumstances... I have just moved them all into new paddocks... Suzie and Finn stay in a smaller paddock with not much grass at night and get turned into a big paddock with heaps of grass during the day. Finn pigs out and always comes back to bed with a massive tummy... but he still eats his dinner and wanders around fine.
As he is so prone to colicing and has a delicate tummy I want to be careful but its just so odd that he is getting this and I don't know what to do...

they are due for worming this week so I might worm them a little early just in case.

Do you girls have any suggestions for what I could do? is there something I am doing wrong? too much or too little?
they get a handful of oaten, lucerne and breeda morning and night (don't need much as they go out and occassionally a small chunk of hay... help?

I haven't had this problem with the my girls so cant help there. We had a couple of goats get it that were back to normal after worming and one time the cows we had started eating the weeds in the new paddock and got it bad and were fine when we took them back out. Hope he feels better soon for you

Love the pics your scenery is beautiful.

I realize they have plenty to eat going out to pasture, but since Finn seems to over indulge after being in at night, give them a small feed of hay before going out, so he doesn't feel so hungry when he gets out there. I don't know if this will work for him or not; but its what my FIL does after his horses (saddle and drafts) have been in for any length of time and then go back on grass, he has never slowly worked them out to grass, just dumps them out and he's never had a case of laminitis in his own horses (just one new horse that came from someone else) and rarely (if any) tummy troubles. [i'm more cautious than he is, probably ridiculously so, but his horses look fabulous, so it obviously works for him.]

Too much new grass is causing it Cassie, you need to get that grass eaten off (cows?) before letting him get near it! Also if you are still trying to watch Suzie's weight - for that possible late show or even before she goes to stud ('fat' mares are often more difficult to get in foal) then she should be kept away from too much grass too. Chanda's idea might work to try to stop him gorging himself, but if he is the type to 'gorge' then he will gorge regardless. LOL!!

I would not worm while his tummy is upset either. Naughty Finn making life complicated for everyone!

Hi Chanda,

Thank you for the info
default_smile.png
I will try that! the reason why I put him in at night as he is an absoloute guts! and will just eat and eat and eat and eat until he is so bloated! (I don't know of any other ways of restricting how much he gives him without putting a grazing muzzle on which I would absoloutley hate to do! )

at lunch time I gave him a good was hand wormed him and Suzie, I'll worm Penny and Smartie tonight as they are harder to worm. Suzie eats it and will put her mouth over the nozzle of the wormer quite happily and goes looking for more. crazy girl! LOL Smartie and Penny on the other hand hate it lol.

any other suggestions on what I could do to stop Finn from gutsing down his food? I was thinking of buying one of those slow feed hay bags they look really good and I have heard good things about them but they are a bit pricey lol otherwise should I just keep him in mowed paddocks with short grass? its quite funny the biggest horse I have I can't get enough food into him he has 15 acres of beautiful grass to munch on and still isn't as heavy as I would like him and yet the smallest little munchkin well he would have no problem eating me out of house and home!
default_thud.gif

oh Anna and I posted at the same time LOL.

Is it bad that I already wormed him?

ok I might mow another section of another paddock and put them in there if you think that is best...
default_smile.png

Suzie's weight is fine, she knows when she is full and she isn't going to any shows at the moment closer to October I'll put her on a stricter diet but I'm enjoying just letting them be horses at the moment...

It shouldn't hurt him Cassie, but it is never a good idea to worm when a horse already has a tummy upset. Just keep a good eye on him! It would help if you could mow the paddock - mow it very close - as this would help stop him getting too much 'bulk' into his system too quickly!

I agree with Anna, we know Finn is delicate so best not to risk it with him. I would keep him on short grass just to be safe. As Anna said keep a close eye on him and make a note to not worm him again if he is feeling a little rough. He is regularly wormed so he should be fine but worming can upset their tummies if they are heavily infested.

Sending hugs to Finn

I'd knock the grass back with cows and then let them out to munch. Or just keep them in smaller paddocks with hay, especially since Finn is a bit delicate.

I just got a new type of hay bag to try and slow Pallidon down (he and Finn must be sharing gutsing tips!) and I'll let you know how it goes, might suit Finn as well.

I'd knock the grass back with cows and then let them out to munch. Or just keep them in smaller paddocks with hay, especially since Finn is a bit delicate.

I just got a new type of hay bag to try and slow Pallidon down (he and Finn must be sharing gutsing tips!) and I'll let you know how it goes, might suit Finn as well.
Thank you girls, Finn is alot happier today
default_smile.png
and has no signs of diarrohea so thats a relief. haha cows what cows? LOL they are across in Uncle Ron's paddocks and you can't even see them there is so much grass!! LOL they are having the time of their lives once the ground dries up I'll mow
default_smile.png
I only let Finn and Suzie out for a few hours yesterday and just gave them hay today... I want to mow another paddock to put them in but we had 50mm of rain over the weekend so no chance of mowing at the moment :/

almost ready to put the pics of Suzie up for you girls lol going through them last night and deleted the bad ones

Bree is is a slow feeder? oh please do let me know! it would be great for Suzie as well, I always spread the hay around quite a bit so it takes them a bit longer to eat and they still guzzle it down! (though Suzie isn't as bad as Finn lol)

Check out this pony stuffing his face with a slow feeder
default_closedeyes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
thats heaps cool thanks Renee
default_smile.png

I think it would be a good thing to have in the stables also as it would make the hay last longer
default_smile.png
and hopefully encourage them to eat more slowly lol

finally, here are the pics of Suzie from the AMHS show
default_smile.png
hope you like them.

suzie.jpg

suzie2.jpg

suzie3.jpg

suzie4.jpg

suzie6.jpg

suzie7.jpg

more in next post
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Look at her sweet little face
default_smile.png

/monthly_06_2013/post-43723-0-10749700-1370421291_thumb.jpg

Look at you two here Cassie
default_thumbup.gif

/monthly_06_2013/post-43723-0-03267100-1370421557_thumb.jpg

I am so glad you had a fun day and who cares if the judges didn't see what we see. She is our winner
default_firstprize.gif

Latest posts

Back