Chomping the bit

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiniNHF

Reaction score
Wanted to see if anyone had any opions to this topic. I have a soon to be 3yr old stallion that I have been ground training/driving since end of last year and he took well to being bridled, long lined etc. But he is still chomping like a wild man on the bit and everything fits him correctly, doesnt matter the application that is going on (just the bridle, side reins etc). Since the beginning I have been using the simple driving snaffle bit.

Most riding horses I had that did that we just used a flash and it cured the problem, but I know you cant use them in driving classes with these little guys. Any ideas on if I should swap out bits or just give him some more time to settle into the bit.

I know the person who has his daddy and breaking him to drive said he does the same thing with the bit chomping.

There are a couple of things you can try;

1) have his teeth checked - even if you think its all up to date he may have developed a problem you are unaware of

2) try a thinner bit - minis have very small mouths and will often feel the bit is too much in their mouths

3)try a different bit, a french link or a even a mullen mouth (many of mine prefer the mullen) to see if he just doesn't like that particular bit

4) give him more time to get used to the bit

5) this is something I would only do if you have given everything else a fair try - put the caveson on over the headstall, drop it low and tighten it enough to discourage chomping. I had one that I had to do this with, drove him with his mouth closed (not cranked shut btw just tight enough to discourage chomping, you don't want to make him uncomfortable) for 5 or 10 drives and solved the problem. But to be fair to your horse please try everything else first.

Reignmaker - Thanks for the advice. My event horse did the chomping thing but he was a nervous nellie all the time at shows so the flashes deterred him from doing that especially in the dressage ring. I rather try all the rest instead of dropping the cavensson really low.

I have some bits I can try from the barn im at, I believe they just got in some different ones; I was actually looking at the mullens earlier online.

You might try a bit with a bit of copper in it.

Definitely check the teeth. I am convinced an equine dentist is a better way to go than most vets. Maybe he has wolf teeth, or the bit set isn't exactly right. Lots of changes going on in the mouth of a 3 year old.

I used a home made flash band on a mare that got her tongue over the bit. Not sure a flash band would be the solution to chomping. Three years old is still very young; I'd just give him time to mature and become more accustomed to his new job.

You might try a bit with a bit of copper in it.

Definitely check the teeth. I am convinced an equine dentist is a better way to go than most vets. Maybe he has wolf teeth, or the bit set isn't exactly right. Lots of changes going on in the mouth of a 3 year old.

I used a home made flash band on a mare that got her tongue over the bit. Not sure a flash band would be the solution to chomping. Three years old is still very young; I'd just give him time to mature and become more accustomed to his new job.
Ive honestly never used anything but snaffles and a pessoa on my event horse because the shows were so strict on the bits used.

But yeah I agree on the vet/dentist thing, I never use a vet for teeth, always go with a dentist on that one.

I used a flash on a mare I had because she liked to hang her toungue out like a dog when the bit was in and that just wasnt attractive in the dressage ring lol it was funny thought.

I had to change bits on my boy to stop the chomping. He hated the snaffle and the first straight bit I tried was too thick, so we tried a thinner straight bit and he immediately stopped the chomping. He really chewed up a copper mouth piece bit I tried while trying to figure it out.

I always recommend a dental followed by a bit evaluation for excessive chomping. We did allow my boy to eat and drink supervised with the bit on until he figured out how to work his tongue around the bit too.

Last edited by a moderator:
You may want to check the lips at the corners of his mouth, where the bit rests. I have a horse that has exessive amounts of lip there and has a real hard time with any bit as they all force the lip into the teeth and pinch the lips between bit and bar.

Out of curiosity, anyone have the rule against a flash noseband?

Thanks for the other advice! I tried a little bit bigger driving snaffle just to see to make sure there wasnt any pinching going on and that still didnt help. I am going to give him a month or two more to see if he slowly starts to stop or not. If he doesnt, its onto another bit (as long as its not his teeth).

BSharpRanch - Is there bit guards for miniature bits like they have for big horses so that the edge of their mouth doesnt get pinched by the bit accidentially?

Bit guards are for the corners of the mouth if I'm correct. I have one mare whose lips fold way into the mouth, over the bars, and bits, tried a bunch, just hurt her mouth. I use a hack on her and she does great, just can't show in it, however I have not actually seen anything in either AMHA or AMHR rulebooks forbidding a hack.

My pony is very particular about bits... French link snaffle he's very happy with and he does seem to adore the Myler comfort snaffle. Instant quiet mouth.

My mare was like this. We first bitted her (just let her hold it) around her first birthday. She was still iffy until she was three and she wore it at least a few times a week.

Someone told me that regular broken bits were hard on minis because the joint often poked the low roof of their mouth. NOW I do NOT know if this is true, but I put her in a Myler after that and she was instantly quiet in the mouth.

So it's worth a try to borrow a French link or Mullen and try that
default_smile.png

My mare detested a single jointed snaffle, so before I tried a French link. It literally sounds like she is attempting to grind it in two while she is wearing it. Before buying another bit, I really got down and dirty and checked out her mouth. Teeth are good, but I noted she has a low palette and a really fat tongue. Anything with tongue pressure makes her unhappy. Since I am not driving in breed shows, I opted for a Bowman 45 degree Liverpool. The shape of the mouthpiece allows her to have very little pressure on her tongue, which she seems to like. She will still grind a little when she gets agitated, but has settled down and mouths the bit now.

My suggestions, based on my experience, would be to really take a look at your stallion's mouth. Feel around. Does he have a low palette? How big is his tongue? Does it squish through his teeth when his mouth is closed? Snaffles (single-jointed, French link, myler) are generally going to cause pressure on the tongue. A horse with a really fat/big tongue might not be very comfortable in a bit that causes tongue pressure.

If you can borrow some bits, try to find a French link, a mullen, and myler/Kelly bits. The different styles each accommodate different mouth structures and pony personalities. If the French link and mullen (which are relatively inexpensive bits) don't work, my advice would be to call the Mylers and discuss your horse's mouth with them. They could recommend the mouthpiece that would be your best option based on the physical structure of his mouth and his stage in training. Many of the Myler retailers will allow a bit trial, so you could actually test out a suggested bit without buying it.

This site has some good mini bits.

www.nationalbridle.com

I like the half cheek with double jointed roller mouth. the low port correction for the ones that don't like tongue pressure and the hinged Bristol mouth.

I tried a Mullen and Legend REALLY started chomping. Went back to the snaffle and he definitely liked it better. Since then he has quieted down quite nicely. I try to keep a very light touch on the reins which helps.

In other words... depends on the horse and the mouth.

I actually have him scheduled to get his teeth done/looked at since there is a dentist coming to the farm to get a group of others done which I believe is next week. I am also going to borrow a french link that is the copper kind that we are going to try on him.

Thanks for all the responses everyone
default_smile.png
I have been out of town for work so its been hard to get on here and response.

Back