Charm - Filly 3/23/13!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awww, this is neat watching another via pics that is due maybe around the time mine are...

For the snow, when we lived in CO many moons ago, we kept a bucket of lard (cheapest from the grocery store) in the tack room and I would do up hooves every couple of days with my bare hands if I was warm enough. Worked it into the bottom around the frog andover the sole, the top of the whole hoof and into the coronet bands... Worked great - keeping the snow from balling up, worked on keeping excess moisture from gettting into hooves while also keeping the hooves moisturized (don't ask me how that works - but it did. Our old school farrier was the one who taught us that in the mid-70s) - was great on my hands, too!

BUT i really like the spray on "Pam" idea better! Except that that doesn't work for your own hands,
default_whistling.gif

Thanks all for the cooking spray suggestions--it looks like I may get to try it out tomorrow as we have snow and ice in the forecast tonight and tomorrow. The girls went out for 45 minutes this morning but they are staying IN the rest of the day unless it stops thundering/lightning. My mom had a couple of cows get killed when the tree they were standing beneath was struck by lightning (it was horrible, to say the least), so I am extra leery of leaving my girls out when there is any thunder/lightning going on. Charm should be pretty happy as her stall is 11' x 12' so she has quite a bit of room, but my biggie in basically the same size stall may be pinging off the walls by nighttime!
default_xreiter.gif

Anyway here are a couple update pics of Charm--to me it looks like some of her belly "V" has gone away but she is still progressing in the udder department (she looks fuller in the picture than she does in person, though). Not sure what is up with the "snowflakes" in my camera; they only show up when I take barn pics! Dust maybe??

Charm 130224 (4).JPG Charm 130224 (1).JPG

Hello! My name is Katie and I'm from semi-warm South Carolina lol!

Your mare looks to be starting her udder - I can tell a difference between your pictures. On my mares, depending on how the foal wants to lay that day - their belly shape can change but generally speaking when the mare keeps that V shape, you know you're getting close!

She looks like such a sweetheart! I can't wait to see your gorgeous little one!

Oh.. I am just keeping up with the thread on this as I think our mare is right along with yours in time to foal. Her udder looks just like this. What is meant by the "V" shape? Is that referring to the hanging belly?

When we refer to the "V" shape it means that the foal has dropped into foaling position and his butt has caused the mares tummy to take on a V shape. Once this happens the foaling is usually immanent.

I hope this pic helps explainhorse in foal....JPG

That is a great picture Renee. I thought there was something wrong with her muscles till it opened bigger and realised it was a foal haha. How long can they be in this position before launching?

Diane, your 'v' ladies are so gorgeous. Do you have any photos of them at the same time but taken from the behind? I would love to see what this 'plank' look looks like.

Great Diane, I just love these pics, they are perfect to explain the famous "V".

Here is one of my girls from last year. Baby had nearly dropped as you can see from behind.

9. May.JPG

one week later

25 may 2012 (340) 003.jpg

26 may 2012 (341) 002.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
OK Aunties...I was really excited when I did my nightly udder check and found this! I think Charm just knew that I needed a pick-me-up today.
default_yes.gif

Charm 130227 (3).JPG

She hasn't really cared before but she did not like me looking under her tail tonight either, though she did allow it.

Charm 130227 (1).JPG Charm 130227 (2).JPG

Can I take my sleeping bag out to the barn yet?
default_please.gif
I am excited for this baby!!
default_cheeky-smiley-006.gif
default_risa8.gif
default_cheeky-smiley-006.gif

Well I would be keeping a very close eye on her from now on. Her tummy needs to drop a bit yet as the foal gets into it's final position and her teats should separate as her udder fills completely, but these last minute 'things' could happen suddenly and catch you unawares!!

One small point - as I think Renee mentioned a while back - when taking pictures of her vulva, just gently move her tail a little way to the side, dont pull it straight up over her spine, very few horses like their tails lifted high up and this can make them tighten their vulvas which gives a false impression.

Good luck and safe foaling!
default_yes.gif

If only Jewel had an udder like that. But she does have the Vbelly. So.. hmmmm we are on a race here. I sure wonder. Maybe our horses will foal on the same day!

Holy cow Charm, how much did you spend shopping!!? And where do you shop, my girls need some styling tips ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

One small point - as I think Renee mentioned a while back - when taking pictures of her vulva, just gently move her tail a little way to the side, dont pull it straight up over her spine, very few horses like their tails lifted high up and this can make them tighten their vulvas which gives a false impression.

The pic does look like I peeled her tail around over her back, but I have been aiming to pull it straight out from her body, like you would to stretch it (I think that move is TTouch?? I don't recall). Good point either way--I'll try like you describe, if I can contain all the fluffiness that is her tail!
default_laugh.png

I took some more photos of Charm last night. After that one day of significant progress last week, she seems to have backed off again...
default_impatient.jpg
She seems to be drinking quite a bit more water--and therefore urinating more--than a few weeks ago. Granted, it is a bit warmer now, but not a big difference in temperature overall. Other than that, she seems pretty much her normal self. I am ready for it to feel more like spring here!

Charm 130305 (5).JPG Charm 130305 (4).JPG Charm 130305 (2).JPG

Charm 130305 (3).JPG Charm 130305 (1).JPG

My horse Jewel.. she has the same advancement it seems as your horse. Jewel's udder looks to be exactly the same shape and size and stage as your horse. Also her belly is right with Jewels. We are both getting very close.

Latest posts

Back