Charm - Filly 3/23/13!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wish my mare was as close !!!!!!!!!!!

She's looking great - maybe another couple of weeks, maybe a little sooner???? A great set of pics - could we have new ones in around another 4 days to compare with please.
default_yes.gif

default_smile.png
I love her 5 star stall!
Thanks Renee! It was between 108 and 115 degrees the week we put the stalls in...my hubby thought I was trying to kill him! Charm's digs were actually intended for a big horse but she can at least see over the front and side walls. I don't think Charm cared for it at first (she was on full pasture when I bought her), but I think she has come to like it. She and my big mare both lie down every night in their stalls...my big mare can be quite the terror if she misses her nighttime sleep!
default_closedeyes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't ask for more than that -- or she might rebel !!
I would not want that! In fact, now I am actually hoping that she will hold on another week, as I will have to be gone a few days for work!
default_ohnoes.jpg
default_ohnoes.jpg
She will have my hubby and our neighbors watching her, and he'll be sending me pictures so I can help keep an eye on her progress. And of course he has vet numbers on hand as well, but I am still beyond nervous, plus I just really don't want to miss the event even if it goes smoothly! My hair is thin to start with, but I think I'll be losing a few more hairs over miss Charm before all is said and done!
default_thud.gif

Will get some more pictures Sunday...

Here are today's pictures
default_yes.gif
She has me a little nervous...looking a little more "relaxed" behind to me. What do you think?

Charm 130310 (5).JPG Charm 130310 (2).JPG

Charm 130310 (3).JPG Charm 130310 (1).JPG Charm 130310 (4).JPG

'Slow and steady' seems to be just Charm's style
default_yes.gif
Not only did she hold on while I had to be away last week (WHEW!), but she is still hanging in there and IMO not looking ready just yet. She is eating ravenously and her poos have been a bit softer, but she seems her normal happy self otherwise.

Charm 130319 (6).JPG Charm 130319 (2).JPG Charm 130319 (4).JPG

I have been taking advantage of the recent nice weather and am back to riding my big mare...prepping to maybe show her next month, so at least I have a project to occupy my time while I'm waiting to see what Charm is hiding!

Progress is progress! Get your sleep on, so that you'll be ready for the "no sleep nights" to come! She's developing well.

Looking closer tonight...what do you guys think? Of course, this weekend is forecast to be the worst weather of the month--mud/drizzle now and possible snow tonight/tomorrow. These girls pick the best times, LOL!
default_rolleyes.gif

Charm 130323 (2).JPG Charm 130323 (4).JPG Charm 130323 (3).JPG

Charm 130323 (5).JPG Charm 130323 (7).JPG

Sounds about right, crappy weather = babies. We've had the worst, snowiest, coldest March is quite some time (especially considering how mild most of the rest of winter has been); and the cows are calving like crazy.
default_frusty.gif
default_frusty.gif
default_frusty.gif

She is looking great, as soon as baby moves a bit forward and her nipples point down she will be good to go
default_thumbup.gif

Sending prayers for a safe and easy foaling
default_pray.gif

This could happen very fast so keep a close eye on her
default_yes.gif

I think we are getting VERY close to the "not havng any sleep at night" stage!! Looking forward to a Happy Announcement very soon!
default_yes.gif

How's the colour inside her vulva - I would be watching closely for it to change.

Good luck and safe foaling.
default_pray.gif

Great progress
default_smile.png
Should have a wee one soon. Ive never seen a Vulva melt away like that one!

Yep--bad weather = baby--we had a filly last night! Sorry I did not make it to post sooner. When I checked on Charm at 8:30 she was starting to express milk so I figured she was close...well when I went back out 45 min later she already had the foal partway out!
default_doh.gif
When this girl decides she's ready, she means right now!! LOL. I was out monitoring them for the next 3 hours as the foal could not seem to find the "milk bar." Luckily Charm turned out to be a very patient momma and she is milking like a Holstein too. Both seem to be doing well now. Thank you all for your insight and help waiting out this pregnancy! Now taking input as to what color you think she will be?
default_laugh.png

DSC03957.JPG DSC03966.JPG DSC03968.JPG

DSC03979.JPG DSC03983.JPG DSC03985.JPG

default_cheeky-smiley-006.gif
Congratulations
default_firstprize.gif
She is adorable
default_cheeky-smiley-006.gif

Was it a normal birth or did you have to help? come on we want all the info
default_yes.gif
Also it helps the other newbies.

As to her colour, it is gorgeous, I think she will go dark like mum but I am NO expert on colours so the others will help on that one .

Again CONGRATS

Yes do share how the birth went! She is so adorable, mom and foal look wonderful! Congratulations
default_smile.png

Thanks all! It was a normal presentation. This baby came out like greased lightning!! When I arrived on the scene, the baby's head and front feet were out, still in the sac, so I entered the stall quietly and set down my foaling kit...right away the rest of the foal came whooshing out and Charm immediately stood up, breaking the cord. Bag was not tough to break. Charm talked to the baby while I dried her off and doctored her navel stump. It took baby about 25 minutes to stand. Afterbirth was passed about an hour following the birth. We had to be careful because Charm kept trying to paw the baby before she got up.
default_ohnoes.jpg
Then Charm was giving her little bites all over trying to stimulate her to get up. Charm was being very still for her but baby could not seem to find the right neighborhood to nurse as instead of pointing her muzzle up, she was pointing it down trying to suck on Charm's legs. I ended up taking some milk from Charm (she was an angel about this) and feeding it to baby to get her going. By morning, they had figured it out.
default_yes.gif

Now I am hoping it will warm up so the pair can go out. We got snow last night and this morning, and last I checked it was effectively 23 degrees outside, ugh! But I think it is supposed to at least get in the 40s today or tomorrow.

Back