Cancer vaccine being mandated in Texas

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not disputing the fact that if this is a SAFE vaccine that perhaps it IS important and should be seriously considered. What i DO NOT agree with is at this stage making it MANDITORY for all young girls to have it. I would fight it tooth and nail if i had a daughter (no children) and lived in one of those states trying to make it manditory! If it seems to be effeictive and safe..THEN i would probably seriouslyt hinka bout having it done..honestly.. i myself am going to sit back and wait and see how it works before having the shot myself!

as for chicken pox.. YES I have about 5 cases of SHINGLES a year.. I got my first case very seriously at about 3 years old. they are pretty painful and not pretty.... and probably had i had the shot..who know's i probably wouldn't get shingles or colds sores anymore.. but it's NOT deadly is my only point..but they are NOT life threatening for the most part..neither is chicken pox. And I haven't read the lable..but does the chicken pox vaccine cover ALL the herpes simplex's? there are a whole bunch! I can see how it could be good for a precautionary measure..but it should not be a big deal if a parent or person ops NOT to have it for reasons of their own. Some schools wont even allow children to go to school if they are found to be unvaccinated. which i find rediculous.. if everyone else is vaccinated..the likely hood they'll get it it slim.. the only person at risk would be the person who chose not to be vaccinated or others like themselves. those are risks they are KNOWINGLY taking.

I'm just STRONGLY opposed to enacting a law on this drug so soon out of the door on thousands of young children. There ARE tests for HPV and a sexually active person could be checked and then vaccinated. if they want a guinea pig..why don't they enact a law that say's EVERY female official (senate, congress, ect) MUST BE VACCINATED. let it be experimented on the ADULTS who make these laws..and lets see how fast these ladies would be to enact this law on an untested drug!!

I had read the same article and do understand that not all HPV's are sexually transmitted. Only those listed are and those are the ones we need to be the most concerned about because of the possibility of cancer. Boy this stuff is rampant and we do need to be very very careful. I think this needs to be talked about a whole lot more with families and awareness of how it is contacted should help it from spreading so awfully. I really feel for you gals that have been diagnosed with the sexualy transmitted type...it certainly could be scarey. Mary

HPV is NOT just a "sexually transmitted disease"...here's from an article online:

"Some types of HPV spread through genital sexual contact. Because many people who become infected don’t have symptoms, they can unknowingly spread the virus.

In fact, HPV is so common that by age 50 as many as 8 of 10 women who have sex will be infected with it.

While in most cases HPV does not have any symptoms, that’s not always the case. The virus can cause diseases ranging from benign (non-cancerous) changes in the cervix, lesions such as genital warts, cervical pre-cancers and cervical cancer."

" More than 100 different types of HPV exist, most of which are harmless. About 30 types are spread through sexual contact and are classified as either low risk or high risk."

This is a great article to read - I am wondering if a few of you are commenting on this HPV vaccine without reading up on it first?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_papillomavirus

http://www.niaid.nih.gov/factsheets/stdhpv.htm

I most commonly read articles written about genital HPV and that, yes, is sexually transmitted and can even be transmitted from use of sexual toys. Meaning if bodily fluid gets on something, it can be transmitted to the next body - what makes you think bodily fluids sprayed on a toilet (don't forget when you flush a toilet, molecules from the toilet water/urine/feces spray up to 10 feet into the air and land on everything in that stall! http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/biology/b103/...web2/stan.html) wont touch a woman sitting on it next? Or a man for that matter?

The next most common way is direct skin-to-skin contact, most common with the warts from HPV 16 and 11...hands, mouths, genitals, etc...

Study! This vaccine is out to HELP US! Insurance companies are picking up this vaccine for one reason only - it's that important.

if they want a guinea pig..why don't they enact a law that say's EVERY female official (senate, congress, ect) MUST BE VACCINATED. let it be experimented on the ADULTS who make these laws..and lets see how fast these ladies would be to enact this law on an untested drug!!
AMEN!!!!

There are studies showing more and more of how auto-immune diseases are on the increase and early onset of some AIs that are usually only in older people. I myself have one of those. Because of this disease and what it does, I am at a MUCH higher risk of auto-immune hepatitis and many cancers. There are many links in the studies to vaccinations as well as a lot of the other government required crap. By "trying to keep us all safer" we are having more and more problems to deal with. If something cures one thing and later causes two problems just as bad...is it worth it? If you CHOOSE to take the vaccine that is different...

-Amy

Well I just got back from the Doctor and here is what I found out.........

HPV is definitely NOT only transmitted sexually. I am not sexually active, and they suggested I still get it.

All insurance companies, at least here in NM are covering the vaccine cost.

However, I am NOT insured, thus it will cost me $600 for the vaccine :new_shocked:

I will be 26 in April, I will have to think long and hard before I hand over 600 bucks that I don't really have, especially because I'm nervous about taking something that is so new.

To me it is stereo-typing girls. I see the potential it may have inthe future, I also don't agree with the mandate of having to have it. I see it as money for the drug companies and stereo-typing:Every-one is "doing it".

Just heard on the news this morning that Louisiana has said that anyone ages 11-12, and 13-26 will get the HPV Vaccine FREE if they qualify. Don't know if that means low income or?

Oh by the way, I want to publicly thank MiniHoofbeats for informing us that it also works on genital warts!

I realize that the mandatory thing means that those with no money will also get the vaccine perhaps the madatory thing should be in all states that any that choose to get it WILL GET IT no matter what there income level or medical coverage is.

If I get a moment today or tomorrow i'll scan in the information pamphlet I received with my shot, it's very informational and that's where I read it helps prevent warts and I am sure some people out there will really appreciate that!

I do beleive you have to have the vacc before you are sexually active.

I dont think that is true, myself and my sister went to get the vaccine, me at 21 and her at 22, both sexually active and our doctors still said we should get the shot. Though we did wait until it was officially covered by insurance =)

I want it, but I'm too old for it, which is the stupidest thing I've ever heard! I'm 32 and still have years left of being at risk for this. I think the cutoff age is 26.

I don't have much thoughts about the vaccine, but I do have a couple stores about cervical cancer that I will share:

I have had cancereous cells 4 times, one of which was stage 3 within a year which required laser surgery, the other 3 only required a freezing procedure (can't remember the technical name)...but I am unable to have children. I can get prego just fine, but can't carry due to a paper thin cervix. The first time I had it was the bad one. I had only been sexually active with one person and I too was his first, so this is not just a sexually transmitted thing as others have mentioned.

I had a very dear friend who died at the ripe old age of 34 from cervical cancer and had been with the same partner since she was 20, he was her only sexually partner, her husband. It had only been a year since her last pap and when they found it, she was 3 months pregnant, it was already in a critical stage. She was advised by her doctor to abort and have procedures done to remove the cells, she didn't. She died 4 months after the birth of that child.

As far as the vaccine is concerned, I'm not sure how I feel about it. I definately don't like the idea of our govt. forcing us to have a vaccine that has not been around that long, especially if you have to pay for it yourself.

I certainly don't know the percent of cervical cancers that occur as STD and ones that are not, but just from my experince, it seems more of this cancer occurs not as an std and of course the vaccine won't protect against that.

Pap smears, just like mamograms give false securities, but still we must be deligent about going...if I hadn't I would not be here now.

As for kids using it for an excuse to have sex,,,,,,,omg that is a lonnnnggggg stretch.
Beleive me, as much of a stretch as it may be, that excuse WILL be used. I don't think it's a good idea, as was previously stated, we don't know what the long term affects of this vaccine are. I know I for one feel a litltle iffy about getting it.

OK...Well I didn't read everyone's reply but in Nebraska before kids are five they are required Tetnus, MMR, Chicken Pox, etc. At the entrance into 7th grade they are required another booster, how is this different? My only fear is that it may not be well enough tested to know what the long term effects could be.

since this was brought back up:

Link to story

Facing a continuous tumult from parents, health experts and advocacy groups like Family Research Council and Focus on the Family, Merck & Co., today suspended its controversial campaign for states that requires young girls to be immunized against a virus that causes cervical cancer.
The U. S. pharmaceutical giant attracted huge criticism from market, blaming company’s profit motive rather than public health as the guiding rule for propagating Gardasil vaccine for sixth-grade girls across the nation.

in regards to the opinions that giving this vaccine will encourage girls to have sex... I would like to compare that thought to this one...... just because you get a tetanus shot, doesn't mean you go outside and intentionally step on a rusty nail!!!! Same principle!

I'm in Texas and was very offended that the state wants me to vaccinate my daughter! thank goodness she is past the age requirement because she would not be getting it.

If it is sooooo important, why can't everyone get it for free?? Why should I, just because I'm not at the poverty level pay for our STUPID governers big ideas!

He isn't so great ya know?? Talks about all the child support he's collected. HA My ex owes my children over $20,000.

It is a series of 3 shots, which I think will be a problem.

As others here have said, I don't think there is enough study on how this will effect the girls.

AND MAYBE I MISSED SOMETHING, BUT IF THIS IS SOOO GREAT, WHY CAN'T A WOMAN OF ANY AGE GET THIS VACCINE???

I also read that one study shows this vaccine is only truly effective for around 3 years!

Whiskeyranch, it is my understanding that it won't cure viruses that have already been contracted, but will prevent those viruses that cause the cancer. That is why it is recommended to be given to girls that are in that age range, and hopefully before they have been sexually active. Since I have been listening to the news about it more carefully, and have read quite a bit more on the vaccine, I have also found out that it is also effective against genital warts, when given before sexual contact.

Latest posts

Back