Cancer vaccine being mandated in Texas

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just Us N Texas

Reaction score
The governor of Texas has signed into law that every 11-12 year old girl in Texas will be vaccinated with gardasil. Now, while I think everyone should have their daughters vaccinated, (just think, you wouldn't have to worry she would get cervical cancer from HPV), but I don't know that I like the idea of being made to vaccinate. Some of the opposition I have heard on the news and etc., is that one of the governor's aides was a lobbyist for Merck, the manufacturer of the vaccine, and they are just trying to make more money for the company. Another objection is that it will encourage girls to become sexually active earlier. Now that one is an old one that we heard so much about when they were passing out condoms in schools in order to prevent aids, and other std's. This is a vaccine that could save the lives of millions of women. Nothing is mentioned about birth control here. Just life saving.

Another thing that bothers me about the vaccine is , that we don't know the long term affects it will have on them, but, when we got the polio vaccine, we didn't know about it either.

The innoculations are expensive, and with the Governor making it a law, the kids whose families don't have insurance, or can't afford it, will be given the vaccines free. To me, that is a good point. That means that no matter what your income, your kids could have a vaccine that could save her life.

My question here is, how do you mother's of young daughters feel about the vaccine, and will, or have you vaccinated them? How would you feel if it were a law?

I had two friends in their 20's have to have part of their cervix's removed because of pre-cancerous cells as a result of HPV so I'm all for the vaccine. My daughters will both be vaccinated when they are old enough.

I'm not really in favor of making it mandatory - but then I'm not in favor of government control of much of anything.

Well the vaccine is too new for everyone to be required to have to take it. As for kids using it for an excuse to have sex,,,,,,,omg that is a lonnnnggggg stretch. If Merck gave out coupons for families to get the vaccine on their own, well that would be different. Mandatory, that makes me a little anxious.

I have not seen where this vaccine has been tested enough to prove it is safe to give to 11 and 12 year old girls. I do not like seeing the government telling parents what they should do with their little girls when it comes to something like this. There is a lot of money to be made by Merck in doing this and I have not liked what I have heard in how this is being mandated. I am strongly for protecting girls from horrible deseases but it seems we should be teaching them a lot more about abstinance and the huge responsibility of having sex, carries with it. I am so glad my girls are grown up and married for it was a huge responsibility to see they did grow up safely. I think it is very sad for the girls who do have sex and contact the virus but can't we just educate them and maybe scare the heck out of them so they won't have sex.....11 and 12 year old girls having sex is just not acceptable and they need to know it. JMHO Mary

It makes me think that the drug companies have a very strong lobby and an even stronger desire to make a lot of money.

The vaccine is a good idea, making it mandatory at this stage (or at any stage ) in my opinion is a disaster.

My thoughts are that I feel it is a good thing. This day and age, kids, and yes, they are often still very young kids, are having sex, so if they can be protected against a life threatening disease, then that is wonderful. However, I don't feel it in itself will increase the numbers of kids having sex, nor do I think it will make them think it is OK to do so just because they were vaccinated. I think it is especially good in such cases where young girls are sexually abused. Also, if these kids are being vaccinated for it so early, I wish they would just do it, and no need to say why or what they are for. On the news I watched, they said they were considering starting these on 8-10 year olds, so what 8-10 year old asks what they are being vaccinated for? Mine never did...they just accept that it is something that needs to be done for their health. They get all their other vaccinations while in school, and this could be treated just as any other. They likely would never ask for details. All they would say is we are getting our needles at school today and you need to sign our permission slip.

BUT, I did hear that these vaccines will be available but only to the tune of about $500 a shot! :new_shocked: So the chances of them becoming available in the schools is not likely, at least not too soon.

They also said that even though they are going to make it mandatory, that people can appeal it in specific cases, for religious beliefs or other medical or moral reasons, and it will be decided on a case by case basis.

My girls are grown also, but as far as scaring the young girls into not being sexually active is not very realistic these days. Besides, these shots will protect them for a lifetime. Even if they are abstinate during their teen years, they will have sex one of these days, with or without the benefit of marriage. Who knows who their partner has been with? I'm with you Mona, they take so many shots during their school years, and they don't ask what for, so why not add one more. Yes, they are expensive, so that is the ONE benefit I can see to having it mandated. At least everyone will get it, wealthy, middle class and poor.

My daughter will be 14 next month and until she gives me some reason to think that she may be sexually active, I would not have her vaccinated. In addition, if anyone tried to force me into having her vaccinated they would have a fight on there hands.

I think it's like saying all girls are sexually active at an early age. I am hoping that my daughter will wait a few more years but I don't have my head buried in the sand either.

I think she has a good head on her shoulders, time will tell.

I don't think the shot will change anything as far as when a girl will decide to "mess around"

Yes, they are expensive, so that is the ONE benefit I can see to having it mandated. At least everyone will get it, wealthy, middle class and poor.
Well, I don't have a daughter (or son, for that matter), but I figure one day I will, and so I might as well go ahead and voice my concerns/opnions.

I agree with "Just Us." If it's mandated, it has to be free or insurance companies will be pressured to cover it. Kids are required to get all sorts of vaccines these days for school. I'm sure when they came out there was controversy, but now it's just second nature. Now, with this being an STD related drug, it gets sticky.

The one concern I have with it...what kind of testing has it had? How long has it been developed? How come we're just now hearing that cervical cancer is caused by this virus? Well, it's possible I just wasn't listening and missed it.

Considering that I'm not that far out of "childhood" and I taught high school, I can honestly say, it won't make a big difference in how many teens have premarital sex. The ones who are going to do it, are going to do it. The ones who are morally strong, are going to abstain. What kept me from having sex during high school was knowing that if my parents somehow found out, they would be disappointed in me (and that God would be disappointed in me). Whether or not I had condoms or a shot wouldn't have made me any more likely to do it.

My daughter will be 14 next month and until she gives me some reason to think that she may be sexually active, I would not have her vaccinated. In addition, if anyone tried to force me into having her vaccinated they would have a fight on there hands.

I think it's like saying all girls are sexually active at an early age. I am hoping that my daughter will wait a few more years but I don't have my head buried in the sand either.

I think she has a good head on her shoulders, time will tell.

I don't think the shot will change anything as far as when a girl will decide to "mess around"

But Jo, it's not only for those wishing to "mess around". It can happen against one's will, and all too often in today's society, this does happen, on young girls as well as older girls, against their will. :no:

I wish they had this 10 years ago.

I have 2 daughters and both have HPV and have had proceedures done. My oldest was lucky and has two daughters of her own. My youngest daughter may never have the chance for children of her own.

My youngest said it makes her feel like an old lady to have this.

I wish I could have had those shots for them both.

Lee

I have two problems about this vaccine.........

The first and primary one is that it is BRAND NEW. In essence our daughters are going to be the Test Rats of this generation. There have been many vaccines introduced to the public in the past that proved to cause all sorts of OTHER health problems because they were rushed into production.

The other problem I have is that it's being mandated by a government authority SO QUICKLY.....Why????

I am just Thanking God that my daughter is only Nine and we don't live in Texas.

If this comes up in our state in three years, and there's been further study on the vaccine, then I'll consider it.

MA

I think it is a positive step- but it is to early to make it maditory. We are just starting to see a few ads about this here(ontario)- would ike some more indepth info- especially if they are talking Manditory.

Tiffany :bgrin

I need some info on this vaccine and HPV. I understand that HPV is caused by a virus. Is the virus only transmitted through sex? Is this another STD? I understand that the vaccine only protects against certain strains of the virus, but it is supposed to protect against those for life. So....I would get my daughters vaccinated. Even if they waited to have sex until they are married, if it protects for life, why wouldn't I have a 10-12 year old vaccinated? It doesn't mean they are going to run out and have sex at a young age, but it does mean they will be protected for life.

I have been thinking about this a lot lately, since Savannah is 6, and we live in Texas. I am not pleased that it will be manditory. I do firmly believe it could help us for future generations, but this vaccine is brand new. I want to see if there are side effects first. I am just glad she is 6, and will not be required to have it for a few years.

But, what if they find, later on, that it makes them sterile (I know, far fetched) or causes seizures later on, or birth defects, or whatever. Then, the government will be responsible for that, and not the drug company.

I just pray it is safe for all those parents who are running out to get the vaccine without really knowing how it will affect their child.

My girls are grown also, but as far as scaring the young girls into not being sexually active is not very realistic these days. Besides, these shots will protect them for a lifetime. Even if they are abstinate during their teen years, they will have sex one of these days, with or without the benefit of marriage. Who knows who their partner has been with? I'm with you Mona, they take so many shots during their school years, and they don't ask what for, so why not add one more. Yes, they are expensive, so that is the ONE benefit I can see to having it mandated. At least everyone will get it, wealthy, middle class and poor.
I fully agree so many parents say oh my kid isnt having sex or drinking or doing drugs and lets be honest many kids are so they are someones kids.. and no it isnt just the poor kids, or the kids of different races or even the kids with poor grades ect.

I know this cause many of "those" kids come and talk t me about things they cant or wont talk to there parents about.

My girls have appts to be vaccinated and why wouldnt I want them to we are talking about saving lives here. This reminds me of the issues wtih condoms.. why on earth would I not want my daugther to have access to condoms I may not want her to be sexually active, but really I would rather have her be sexually active informed and protected and ALIVE then not given all the information and protection available to her today and dead

I need some info on this vaccine and HPV. I understand that HPV is caused by a virus. Is the virus only transmitted through sex? Is this another STD? I understand that the vaccine only protects against certain strains of the virus, but it is supposed to protect against those for life. So....I would get my daughters vaccinated. Even if they waited to have sex until they are married, if it protects for life, why wouldn't I have a 10-12 year old vaccinated? It doesn't mean they are going to run out and have sex at a young age, but it does mean they will be protected for life.
From what I understand it is only transmitted through sex, so it's like a STD, except it causes cancer. Most womans body can fight it off, but some can't. And it's the woman who can't who get the cancer.

On the one hand I think it's great. Even if a girl waits to get married to have sex, there''s no saying her hubby wont' be a carrier. And what about if she's raped?

On the other hand, I dont' think it should be mandatory because of the risk factors mentioned. The side effects and such.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Miniv, this is being rushed way to quickly. I also would like to hear it proposed like this, okay we will institute this program but we will not use Merck vaccines!

I am willing to bet they would not be in such a hurry.

Imho this is a money maker.

Bonnie

You know i am NOT against a cancer vaccine..if it worked..i could see why they would make it manditory..but i have said from the SECOND i heard that some states were trying to make it manditory that it should NOT be. Basically they are trying to test this drug on the millions of children in the US. This drug is just too early to know what side effects. There is NOTHING farfetched about a drug causing sterility or other serious reactions INCLUDING other forms of CANCER! If the FDA approved this drug... it still doesn't mean it's safe! It just means that the company SUPPOSIDLY did X amount of research and they handed in the right paperwork (which could be real or fake). Look at all the drugs ont he market that have been found a few years down the road to cause SERIOUS problems including heart attacks, impotism, the list is so long it's not even funny. even in foods .... look at Nutrasweet..it's incredibly toxic..but it was pushed down the consumers throat in almost every type of food for several years before it was finally said to be truly toxic (lots of rumors before the proof though).

I would definatley say there is some hands in the cookie jar to get this drug out there and manditory at such an early phase. I DO NOT have children but if i did..you can better beleive with as much as they are pushing.... I would be waiting to see what happens at this point!! Just think if there was a serious side effect to this drug.... if we injected every girl child in america today with it and it turned out to have some serious effect..it could wipe out a whole generation!!! This is NOT a wise idea in my oppinion! I think these states trying to implement it need to be taken to court and fight this! it's scarey!

Well I will assume it is being mandated as another childhood shot required for school attendance.....just like the heavily promoted chickenpox vaccine. There are many loopholes to not vaccinate if you should choose not to. I think we are overvaccinating our kids as it is just like our horses dogs and cats :eek:

Now if it actually turns out to be a good effective vaccine then great but I rarely believe any of the promotional propaganda on anything newly released by the FDA. In 20 years we may find out that it works for hpv but causes uterine cancer :eek:

Latest posts

Back