Can I get critique on my mare?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mima Acres

Reaction score
I've seen others ask on this forum and I thought I'd put my mare out there for a critique. I bought this mare to be a pet for my family and she's is fantastic we love her and she'll be with us forever regardless but mainly to cure my curiosity and learn a bit about conformation I would love to get some input to compare to my own thoughts on her. Please any comments appreciated about any strengths & faults. Thanks!

7e556bef.jpg

The pictures aren't ideal, but what I see...

I like her color, head (including expression), and tight ears. I think she could have a stronger hip and a better (higher) set neck, and higher set tail.

The pictures aren't ideal, but what I see...

I like her color, head (including expression), and tight ears. I think she could have a stronger hip and a better (higher) set neck, and higher set tail.
default_wink.png
Yes I was thinking they weren't exactly ideal. Hopefully they give a good enough idea of her. It is a bit of a challenge to get decent pictures all by myself just having her tied up. Thank you for your input
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree she could use a stronger hip and shoulder and her neck is tied in low to her chest and appears to be built slightly downhill and slightly ewe necked. The one thing I do love about her is her head she has such a kind expression.

I agree her head is really pretty and she does have a kind eye. With me still learning about conformation on minis. I said the same exact things as Jill. And I don't know if it's the angle but, she looks a bit butt high in some of them. Not that I am an expert haha because I am not at all.

While basic conformation is in the bones and doesn't change, proper muscle development and conditioning would make a dramatic difference with this horse.

She's not a halter class prospect, but you could both have a great time driving, and I think you'd be surprised by the "makeover."

She looks like an absolute sweetheart, and I hope you post more photos!

I agree with most of whats been said. Gorgeous head, nice color and she appears to be fine-boned based on her legs. Hip is a little small but not bad, neck set and shoulder would be my biggest critique. I think her hip looks smaller too because she has a bigger belly due to probably being on grass (??). She looks like an absolute sweetheart and I do LOVE her head.

Thanks
default_smile.png

I got her last October so I've had her for 8-9 months. She is out of shape, also she had a foal last year and a couple months ago that plus grass to contribute to her belly, she will definitely benefit from shaping up after the foal is weaned.

She is a total sweetheart and perfect for my daughter to love on, initially I got a mini for her but I really like her too! I've been excited to learn more about mini's ever since she joined us and trying to study the "standard of perfection"

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back