C.A.R.E.'s thoughts on the whole situation with AMHA as it is today

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mona

Reaction score
Maybe we at C.A.R.E. are wrong.

Perhaps we at C.A.R.E. are wrong in our efforts and desire to work to improve the current status of the state of management of AMHA. Our desire was to work to bring the enforcement of the rules the membership has approved to be a requirement in the management as we have all seen rules ignored and new rules voted in place by the Board without following the proper procedures. If the rules don't work after one try, the Board will change that rule again ignoring the proper procedures. We have seen the Board pass the idea of two rule changes going to a membership vote without an amendment even being presented. The minutes of the meeting just say the change will be written later.

However, when C.A.R.E. followed the proper procedure within the rules and submitted a proposed amendment allowing all members to vote by mail or internet ballot, the Board would not even discuss the proposal at the June 2008 meeting. This proposal was sent to every director, well in advance of the meeting, and the proposal included plans to financially support the amendment. Does this mean that the Board is not interested in allowing all members to participate in the decisions made in AMHA?

Again C.A.R.E. has tried to help gain membership input into the decisions of AMHA by posting a thread to allow all candidates for director to answer questions to inform the membership of how they will work for AMHA if they are elected. We emailed a letter to all eleven candidates on the ballots in Regions 5, 6, and 7 asking them to answer the questions and/or allow us to post their answers on the Lil Beginnings website. The only purpose of our idea was to help the membership gain information on the candidates and take a part in selecting the new directors that be involved in the managament of AMHA.

We all hear so much about the low number of members that actually take part in attending the annual meeting, showing their horses at local shows, supporting the futurity, and supporting the Championship and World Shows. We are told that about $100,000 was lost last year in membership revenue. We constantly read in the minutes of the meetings that we must find ways to increase the membership. It was the desire of our group to give the members of AMHA that read Lil Beginnings (the largest Miniature Horse website in the world) an opportunity to learn more about the candidates for directors, and to take an interest and vote on the directors they believe would best manage our Association.

It is very distrubing that only two of the eleven candidates that we contacted have chosen to post their answers to inform all the members of their ideas and how they would work for AMHA. We sincerely thank them for taking the time to help us. One candidate that was not on the ballot (a write in candidate) that we did not contact via email, also took the time to contact us and answer all questions, and we sincerely thank him.

The issue that bothers our group the most is wondering just who the directors are supposed to represent? Some candidates feel they only need to reply to members in their own region. Should they limit their ideas to just their region? Our group believes that the "biographical summary submitted by each of the candidates as approved by the membership at the 1994 Annual Meeting," should be posted on the amha.org website to inform all members of all of the candidates answers to important questions. How do you as a member feel about this? Do you as members want to know about all candidates, and do you think more members would show more interest in AMHA if this information was available? When only members attending the Annual Meeting each year are allowed to vote on the officers of the association, shouldn't they have a right to information on these candidates? We know that the candidates nominated for officers do make a statement to those members present at the Annual Meeting, but that only amounts to about one percent of AMHA's membership. C.A.R.E. believes that every director elected to the position of officer, or to serve on any committee should be willing to serve all members in all regions, and should be willing to give all members information as to how they will work for AMHA.

We urge all of you to consider the candidates responses or lack of response, their willingness or unwillingness to answer questions for the members, and if they feel directors should serve the entire membership when you decide on the people you will vote for to best serve AMHA.

Perhaps it is true that more and more members are leaving AMHA because they have lost interest or don't agree with the path the Association is taking. We believe the only way for AMHA to survive is with MEMBERSHIP SUPPORT. Nothing else matters when the membership does not support their Association. With the lack of interest, membership, horse registration, and participation at shows, will continue to cause revenue to decline and the AMHA will cease to function. Our goal was to help get information to members about the candidates for directors to increase their interest and support, we just might be too late.

Last edited by a moderator:
As a long time member of LB I have seen numerous topics concerning the dissatisfaction of AMHA members. The measuring problems and the right to vote being the two I have seen the most.

Here you people are lucky enough to have a group of concerned members doing so much for all the other members by trying to provide you with the facts only and nobody seems to have anything to say? I am appalled that only 80 people have read this so far and even more appalled that nobody has anything to say. What happened to all of you with the pages and pages of complaints over the years?

I have to question why C.A.R.E. is wasting their time if they cannot even get people to comment.

Even if you don't agree someone must have some kind of input.

Being a member of another large horse association, I assure you it's members would never sit back without at least voicing their opinions.

This is YOUR organization. You will be the ones that pay the consequences if you don't stand up for what you believe in and you will reap what you sow.

Our goal was to help get information to members about the candidates for directors to increase their interest and support, we just might be too late.
C.A.R.E. maybe you are right. Maybe it is too late.

Normally I try and stay away from posts and threads like this, but because of my personal love for the American Miniature Horse as a breed I feel I need to offer a few thoughts. Because I do not think it is too late.

1. There is a lot of frustration among the members, BOD members and even among the Executive Board of AMHA. I know this as I have talked at length with many of each of the above mentioned group both past & present. They all for the most part are frustrated by caring and trying to make things better. Only to find that the solutions that they thought might be instituted and/or enacted by whatever means, either never happened or did not have the positive effect they thought it would.
default_no.gif

2. Members are becoming more and more disillusioned every time they see one of the regularly occurring fiasco's come about, they pull further and further away from involvement with the registry due to the increased feeling that they cannot change anything or even have any real input into the registry.
default_wink.png

3. The industry as a whole is in desperate need of concerted marketing efforts that is planned, has long/short goals and has the commitment of the entire membership.
default_new_shocked.gif

4. I am personally as guilty as anyone else about allowing things to evolve to where they are by keeping quiet and not making my feelings known. Running for office and basically getting involved in the registry.
default_sad.png

So if the above thoughts are all true, what can I or anyone else do about things as they are?

My solutions are very straight forward.

1. The entire charter and rules book needs to be completely reviewed/rewritten to make it easy to understand, implement and enforce. Enforcement and understanding are the two most important words there. There are so many contradictions in it presently it is impossible to enforce and/or administrate from. In my opinion, a group of members ( 5-9 members)need to be appointed to work on this (it would take several months to get this done) and the revised rule book be submitted back to the membership for discussion and/or possible revision at the national meeting.
default_yes.gif

2. Then the final vote on it then needs to go back to the entire membership. During the time that the charter and rules are being rewritten the committee needs to be given access to the legal and other assets they need to do the job properly. Specific issues such as measuring procedures, judge selection, etc. etc. can be and should be addressed after the rule book and charter is revised and finalized.
default_biggrin.png

3. The Registry needs to figure a way in today's age of electronic media a way to allow for more involvement in the major decisions of the registry. When I say major, this would include, but not limited to any rule changes.
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

4. A full time, professional manager needs to be hired for the office and put in charge with the ability to hire fire and control the registries inner workings. The E-Board needs to be in an over site position only and report any problems/concerns back to the BOD. Which would retain the responsibility to hire and fire this individual exclusively? Thereby creating stability and ensuring the office manager is monitored and also given a fair shake in trying to succeed at helping to run our registry.
default_wacko.png

5. Programs need to be designed with amateur and youth participation in mind to attempt to increase participation/ involvement in the registry sanctioned shows, events and programs. The mentality of the entire registry needs to be geared towards inclusion and involvement of the many members that are not currently involved in the registry functions. We need these people in the registry and the viability they will bring to the registry. The open classes, trainers and other portions while very important, will take care of themselves naturally if the interest and involvement from the amateur/youth level is fostered and encouraged.
default_wub.png

6. All BOD and E-board meetings need to be as transparent and open to as many members as is possible. Be that on the web or whatever.
default_aktion033.gif
default_yes.gif
default_aktion033.gif

Personally I am going to commit myself to trying to become more vocal and involved in whatever way I can in the registry business. I am not sure what I can do, but I am going to try and find out. I think the election of a new slate of BOD members may be a step in the right direction. By that I do not mean to imply that I will not be voting for current members of the BOD. My vote for one hinges upon the positions that the candidates take on the matters I consider important. I appreciate LIL Beginnings allowing us to have that thread at least posted here. Who I vote for will remain my private decision.
default_yes.gif

Okay go ahead and flame away, I have my flame resistant suit on. LOL

One thing that has been brought up a couple of times now is to have the rule book gone over with a fine tooth comb in order to find discrepancies, clarification, etc. I am in full support of this action. One of the things that makes it hard to get a rule change enacted is to find all of the places in the rule book where it might be referenced. It would sure be helpful if a point is covered in more than one area of the rules, there are cross-references available right in the paragraph. This is a pretty big task but certainly not un-doable. Does anyone know what program the rulebook is published in?

I care very much about the continuance of the registry, and the promotion of the miniature horse. I went to the annual meeting in 2007. I volunteered for a couple of committees and did my best to be involved. I sent suggestions to board members and committee chairs. There really wasn't very much communication outside of the actual annual meeting, I have to say. Due to some major family events I was unable to attend either the June meeting or the annual meeting. However I did try to do my part. I would love to continue to be involved at that level, but personal life changes dictate that will probably not be possible at least for the next several years. I certainly hope in future years that committee chairs do their best to communicate with the members of the committee and create an open environment of sharing and communication. This is really not that hard in this day and age. There are lots of ways to create private forums for people to discuss things online. I hope to see more of this. It would also be nice if the committee chairs would all publish agendas a minimum of 30 days prior to any formal meeting.

I am very interested in who is voted in at the director level. Because our Executive Committee is voted in from the directorate, it behooves us all to be aware of what is being decided and who votes what way. The minutes are published on the web site and also in our magazine. One shortcoming that I hear is true, is that the full goings on at the meetings are not published. That should be rectified if it is indeed true. We need to know who it is we are voting for at each level, and the way they vote on the issues is how we know who they are and what they represent.

I think it is a sad state of affairs that very few candidates feel the responsibility to answer member questions about their position on the issues. This is a very important part of the position, and if they aren't communicating now, they will most likely not communicate if they are voted in.

Well that is my 2 cents. I would sure like to see a good variety of candidates step forward. Including perhaps, some members of C.A.R.E.
default_smile.png

I agree with each of you --

In todays' electronic world there is NO REASON why Board meetings cannot be watched by members who want to via computers. There is NO REASON that AMHA can't formulate web based voting to allow members to vote on issues and not attend the annual meeting! They would be limited in their ability to comment as those at the meeting but, they could vote.

While there are members without the electronic devices, they could go to a library or such if that was something in which they wanted to participate -- or, quite frankly they may be some members who do NOT want to be bothered and are only members for the sake of registration of horses. That's fine.

There have been issues with voting, measuring and finances since I joined in '92
default_laugh.png
I used to be very active, attended meetings, shows, etc. Guess it may be time to do so again.

Because horses are luxury items for most, pets for many, and the economy (and Iraq war) has affected everything and everyone to some extent, nenbers income has to be used where it is best suited and most needed. AMHA should consider where they can "pull back" to help members (fees, etc) and thus encourage membership with cost effectiveness and encourage additional membership and registration activity. i.e. amnesty for bringing temp to perm -- drop the extra fee for being late....encourage members to do this and bring in a fee while updating the registrations! Some money is better than none!! Same with foals who are 6-12 months, drop or reduce the higher fee. Instead of charges for late entries at shows, either discount or provide a "free" class if you get entries in ahead. Drop the fee for filing an annual stallion report so long as it is on time. Be positive, not negative.

I am fully in agreement that the rules "appear" to be passing/changing without required channels
default_wacko.png
Possibly this would be less of an issue if members could watch & listen to these meetings!
default_wink.png

Ok....off subject but, an AMHA area of concern:

Possibly some of the clubs could (should) consider partnering with another club to produce a show, with the intent of reducing costs and increasing attendance. You would have more club members to do "volunteer" work, reducing costs in that way. Exhibitors may be more likely to attend such as the number of exhibitors should be greater and not having expense of 2 shows, just one. AND offer some type of "money back" classes.

I dont think people are not posting because they dont care I just dont think they know what to say.

I read this yesterday and didnt post because I am one of those people who decided a couple years ago to stop being an AMHA member and stopped registering AMHA horses. I suspect there are a lot of people out there like me.

A couple times I almost became a member again because I want to promote miniature horses in any way I can. But then I see some things and think "no not going there again"

I do think it is very hard to make changes in a situation like this, but it is worth it if someone has the time to tackle it and is passionate about it. As you guys have seen its going to be a very uphill battle. Change is not going to happen quickly so its something you will just have to stick with and keep fighting for what you believe in.

My opinion is that in order for CARE to have an impact you are probably going to have to get some of your members on the BOD and committees etc.

While I have a history of being in horses, I am rather new in the breed of minis. There are many problems in many of the horse breed organizations, but it seems this one has some very vocal detractors.

I do not know any of the people on the Executive Committee of the AMHA or their personalities. I am not casting aspersions because I don't know anything about them.

It would seem to me that in order to "fix" a situation, you'd have to know WHY things have been going wrong.

Can someone please explain to me WHY they believe the Constitution is not being followed, rules are not being followed and there is dissention in the ranks. I keep reading about this, but I cannot understand it.

Is it because:

The Constitution and by-laws are hard to understand?
The Board doesn't want to follow them?
The people on the board have private agendas?
The people have pressure groups lobbying behind them?
They just don't know any better?
They just don't care?
They are just in it for the power?
They just do not know Roberts Rules of Order?
They know they can railroad through things if the general membership doesn't know about them?

How many years has this been going on or has there been a problem since the inception of the organization?

Please educate me as to what has been going on in the past few years.

funnybunny --
default_laugh.png
You've listed many of the suspected/alleged/probable/demonstrated

reasons for the AMHA situation.
default_wacko.png
default_laugh.png

We are not trying to have an argument here -- so this thread will be lightly replied and with thought, IMO. AND the arguments have not resolved a thing. AMHA does need "change and resolve" with membership participation --- IMO. Membership involvement needs a lot of work.

Kaykay, like you, I let my membership drop. With all the issues the have come about in past few years it was not where I wanted to be, either. However, my herd is AMHA registered and I want those papers to mean something! Plus, fees are huge if not a member.

Large attendance numbers at the annual "vote" meeting just isn't going to happen. Unless we, as members, can get enough people there to incorporate the changes to voting (which is major need for change to happen) , then I cannot see a revamp of the system in the near future to address any of the other things that we complain about. It is unbelievable that I can vote for the President of the UNITED STATES by mail and cannot do so for the President of AMHA.
default_wacko.png
Possibly the organization is more elite than we ever imagined
default_laugh.png

Having worked with computers and programs for over 30 years I can tell you one thing I had to learn the hard way.

NEVER and I repeat NEVER pay for the program in FULL until it is loaded and running smoothly. You can weed out all those IFFY venders fairly quickly with that stipulation to the contract.

I did not read through all the posts... but this is why I did not keep up my AMHA membership

I used to be a member but we had some family stuff going on and had to drop the membership one year. The next year I wanted to join again.. and was totally shocked that I would have to pay a late fee!!!! to rejoin. :DOH! Because, I was told by the AMHA worker on the phone, if I don't want to pay the late fee..then I have to be a member every year. Not sure if it is like that now?

So I told them,, I saw no reason to become a member again, if I had to pay that late fee plus their very high membership fee.
default_no.gif

Another reason.. the cost.. I do not breed any more and I find the membership to spendy. I am a member of other Registries and it sure doesn't cost what AMHA charge and you get more for that membership.

Then the Magazine... is mostly Glamour shots of show mini's and Ad's....at least it was when I was a member. Had no interest in most of it. Sometimes they would have an down to earth article but not often enough for me and not for their price. Would like to see more of what, every day people do with their minis.. than just show glamour, to see Equal booking with the Glamour and the everyday mini owners.

Then there are other reasons.

So .. in short... I will not become a Member of AMHA again.. until some things are improved upon or changed.

Does anyone recall the price increase of the voting ballets when AMHA last changed? I mean the actual behind the scene dollar amount to put the election on.

We all keep talking about the new computer age but have we considered the price to up-date such a project?

I cant recall but the company in charge of the accuracy of the voting was/is HUGE. There may just be a contract out there!! (hmm)

As for a height, Im sorry folks we are a "height" registry vs a height breed. How many times has your 30 inch stallion bred to your 30 inch mare had a "WHAT and WHERE did those legs come from?"

We have to be able to police this from within. Until there is a NON HUMANE method of exact measurement height of a miniature horse is flaud.

AMHA or AMHR cant promote the height of the horse without following rules. These should be the same rules that REVOKE papers and DISQUALIFY show horses. Membership is simply sickened by What gets In. Put them in the right spot!

But in both AMHA's and AMHR's defense, I dont think my piddly membership gives me the right to the workings of the Associations. My membership dues are for the paperwork and the genetic filing the associations house for me. My membership gives me a better rate on my paperwork and even sends me a magazine.

LOL says nothing about a lisence to complain. That my friends is what you do to the director, the only power your associations have given you as a voice.

I do think it is funny how AMHA is sometimes showed as the "bad'der" association when AMHR can have a National Convention, talk openly on how change needs to be done, VOTE on it just to have the Directer change it in private........ THAT IS FUNNY.

"Give the person lip service and they have hope" ???!!!

I dont think people are not posting because they dont care I just dont think they know what to say.
Yes, that was me when I first read it... I didn't know what to say!

I like John's and Bess's ideas. They need to get $$$ NOW. In the last World they stated that they expected to be operating in the RED. Now, that's not the way to operate ANY business. So, my ideas for pulling in extra fundage:

1) Amnesty for temp to perm and late foal registrations. Better to get that $50 than nothing. (another small thought- WHY is it SO EXPENSIVE to take a stallion permanent?)

2) Reduced hardship fees for AMHR horses. Even if it's for just one year, how about a much lower fee? And if a weaner/yearling, etc fits in the height cutoff for that age bracket, let's be able to hardship them, too, instead of waiting till they're five. I have probably five or more horses I'd hardship right now if they would cut the rates. It just doesn't seem feasable with the rates as they are now.

3) The awards for the Region shows are fantastic- but until they can get their feet back on solid earth, how about just rosettes? The cost for those plaques must be enormous! You can give the Champs and Reserves one, as those placings do deserve more recognition.

I had more, but I can't think of them just now....
default_unsure.png

Lucy

Good Posts everyone, I hope the soon to be elected BOD members are reading these and hopefully can come away with new ideas and information to make things better all the way around. Some of the posts have given me some new ideas and thoughts on this subject.
default_aktion033.gif
default_yes.gif
default_biggrin.png

I would think the best place to start is to significantly reduce the membership fee with no late fee penalties to those who were members previously and left and went strictly AMHR.

AMHA is just losing out on all of those who are still in the breed and registering animals. Why not make it very easy and inviting for them to come back? A reduced fee of say 30 bucks or 40 bucks for the first year back might just be enough to remind them why they joined AMHA in the first place. Instead it seems like the huge fees to rejoin just remind them of why they left in the first place.
default_sad.png

2. Members are becoming more and more disillusioned every time they see one of the regularly occurring fiasco's come about, they pull further and further away from involvement with the registry due to the increased feeling that they cannot change anything or even have any real input into the registry.
default_wink.png
Put my name next to this one.

I can't travel to the meetings, so I can't vote, so I can't participate, so I'm forced to sit back and watch what's on.

The only way AMHA has given me to vote is with my membership $.

I think it was one or 2 years back I suggested that AMHA should have an amnesty period to let people bring their horses papers up to date with no late fees or penalties to encourage them to come back to AMHA (and to encourage updating papers). Boy was I taken to the carpet for even suggesting it.

When you think of all the papers out there that need to be updated imo its better to get those people back in the fold then get the late fees.

I believe it was last year when AMHA did do a reduced membership fee for awhile someone can correct me if Im wrong

I want to sincerely thank everyone that has posted to this thread for their positive feedback/input. We are feeling a little more encouraged by your participation here, and willingness to "discuss" these things and bring them out in an open discussion. Things within our association(s) will never get better without the ideas and input brought forth by the membership.

There have been many great suggestions posted here in this thread, and I too hope that the BOD, the candidates and the EC will read this, and take these thoughts and suggestions into careful consideration in trying to get the AMHA back on the road to prosperity. Keep those suggestions coming!!

Annabellarose, in short, C.A.R.E. stands for Concerned Advocates for Rule Enforcement. This is a small group of people that originally formed to speak out against a measuring rule that was put into place. In doing so, and upon researching AMHA Rules, Bylaws, and AMHA minutes, it was found that MANY rules have been broken, and proper procedure not followed in implementing several new rules. We have tried bringing this to the attention of the membership, along with trying to make a few changes ourselves, within the way(s) the Association conducts business. We feel the BOD and EC need to be held accountable for their actions. The rules and bylaws are there for ALL OF US to follow, not only the members. As someone has said in an earlier post, it has been met with A LOT of resistance and has been an uphill battle all the way. We still have hope for the Association, and want to see it successful once again, and THAT (in a nutshell) is the purpose of C.A.R.E.

We need to see that rules are being ENFORCED in ALL areas...the EC, BOD, Membership and the shows, for amateurs/owners and professional handlers ALIKE!! We need to see ENFORCEMENT OF EXISTING RULES, and EQUAL treatment/punishment for ALL exhibitors!

First let me say I am no longer a member of AMHA, but I do care about the organization. Because I'm no longer a member is why I don't usually post on the AMHA threads.

AMHA is what introduced me to Miniature Horses as a youth. I showed extensively and was 1 (of 2) of the first recipients of the AMHA Youth Scholarships awarded back at the 1993 National Show. Miniature Horses via AMHA have contributed greatly to who I am today, and for that I am thankful and have some personal loyalty to the organization. So why am I no longer a member? For me personally, I was introduced to the small Shetlands in 2003 and just fell in love with their look and movement. It's just been a personal preference of mine to focus on equine in the 36" range since then (with the ability to enjoy an even larger pony every now and again at the same shows). Really it's just been a gradual migration - Not much different than if one day I decided I wanted to go back to showing Quarter Horses. If my program started producing top notch under 34" horses, I would definitely consider coming back; however, with the closing of the registry that is becoming more and more unlikely to happen. One of the things I miss most about my AMHA membership is the magazine!

I believe both AMHA and ASPC/AMHR have a lot to offer the small equine world, and I would like to see both continue to be successful organizations.

I think the problem is AMHA is getting to big for its britches, I have a feeling when it comes to AMHA I feel like they have to be bigger and better then anyone else. Thats just the way I feel. IMO AMHA needs to go back and look after the little guy, and with todays economy thats alot of us. Most of the time dealing with 2 registries and how much things cost to do paperwork, etc..., it gets overwhelming. I realize that if AMHA cuts back on their prices of things everything else will have to cut back too.

What is more important to AMHA? Its fancy establishment, its fancy shows, what? Or is it its members and what really keeps the shows running and keeps the registry alive. AMHA just needs to take a step back and listen to its members and look at whats going on with the economy.

Back