Bye bye barn swallows forever UPDATE/ NET PIC PG 3

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also: location of the net in Walmart is in the garden area but not in the outside garden shop. It was inside on the aisle with other types of netting, next to the rolls of that stuff you put on the ground to stop the weeds from growing. Forgot what you call it. This is not on a roll, its folded up flat in clear plastic and says its to protect your garden from pests etc. and says its environmentally safe

Here's an idea, add a strip of ribbon in the center and then add magnets. Teach the horses to push on the solid lines to seperate the halves. Percectly clear like mud huh?

Okay, I'll try again. Hang the netting full length. Cut up the center as high as you need it. Sew gross grain ribbon on each side of the cut area. Add a magnet on each side every foot. These will attract each side. Teach the horses to push the netting at the ribbon area. The "door" will return to normal together position.

oh no no no...no way would that work! The horses would not only EAT the magnets but pull the net down too.
default_yes.gif

Marty I'm so sorry your cat passed away that's such a shame.
default_no.gif

The birds, hopefully the net will help you. I guess you could do like my grand pa would do, he'd spray the nests down and they'd stay out of the barn once there was no place to nest. Also had barn cats and that did help. Jean what the heck is a Codamunde...roams the rafters? like a snake or weasel or something? Vansplic love you kitty pictures!

No way do you want to cut the net up the middle. You'd ruin the net.Then you'll have 4 sides waving in the breeze instead of two and the birds will come right in easy.Needs to be left solid. I just added a couple of nails on each side to keep it from blowing around.

They built nests in my light fixtures. Took some doing to get them down in one piece and we brought them outside. A couple fell apart but there were no eggs in them. I was spraying the ones that were along the rafters and all I did was make my stalls wet and wreck my bedding. Debby, this past week they were building new nests every night. I couldn't keep up with it.I was knocking them down as they were building them. Felt terrible but it was terrible.

with the extreme heat we have been having I've had to open my big back barn door.Now I have 3 large nests built in 1 day(wish I could hire the little beggers to work here) giving them a few more days to build and down come the nests.Last year I had fly strips hung up and some of them got caught in those.Tried to get them off since they weren't dead, but it didn't work.they just had to die on there.This year I am not so nice.My bites from earlier in the season are just beginning to heal up.I have netting over a small door.I just have to pull it to 1 side when I am putting horses in or out.

So sorry to hear about your cat Marty, hope the net works for you..
They sure can be a pest.. not something you can enjoy in that kind of numbers..
default_frusty.gif

The sticky fly traps catch birds...maybe put up a few really close together and close to a nest?

Another update: After having the netting up for just a couple of days it has greatly reduced the amount of birds. I'm down to only 2 or 4 at any given time. The smart ones sneak under when i have it only half way down the doorway for horse access.

oh no no no...no way would that work! The horses would not only EAT the magnets but pull the net down too.
default_yes.gif

Marty I'm so sorry your cat passed away that's such a shame.
default_no.gif

The birds, hopefully the net will help you. I guess you could do like my grand pa would do, he'd spray the nests down and they'd stay out of the barn once there was no place to nest. Also had barn cats and that did help. Jean what the heck is a Codamunde...roams the rafters? like a snake or weasel or something? Vansplic love you kitty pictures!
I just did a google search on Coatimundi, here's one of the first sites I came across: http://www.vanishingspecies.net/animals/details.php/000029/

I had heard of them, but didn't really know what they are.

Back