Breeding a mare that is a minimal dwarf

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Judging by the poor condition of the mares when she first brought them to your place, I'd say that there's every chance the foal will have a better home/life by being sold then it would have if the gal had kept him "forever". So do think positive--being sold isn't the worst thing for this little guy, and in fact will be a good thing. Hopefully he is going to an excellent home.

I would tell the gal to please do contact the registry, and that you will be doing that exact same thing yourself, because her mare most assuredly was on the stallion report and there shouldn't have been any problem in registering the foal.

I'm afraid I do think you were much too nice to this person in the first place; when she showed up with her mares that day I'm quite sure I would have told her to load them up and take them home, and I probably would have had to tell her just what I thought of her poor condition. I've just got no patience with people who are so pushy--and asking to come & see your stallions and then bringing the mares along IS being pushy. I've also heard so many "ooh, this one is a keeper, I will never sell him" or "oh please may I have a reduced price because it's my kids that are buying this one and could you maybe help out the kids" and in reality the "for the kids" story is nothing but a ploy to get the cheapest price possible...yes, I know someone that is bad for that...and the horse is a keeper only until it can be resold for a considerable profit--I've heard and seen that a little too often and quite frankly just don't let myself get sucked into that one any more!

All you can do is educate people, and do your best with the horses.. It sounds like you've done all of that and more .

Even so, I would be happy that there was no other mis-haps, and that you improved the condition of the horses while on your property.

People love the babies, but many have have no clue that some mares should not be bred for one reason or another..

I took in three decent outside mares this season, and two bred to my stallion, but one could not produce a true cycle, so she just got fed well, and enjoyed her stay.

She was a bit on the thin side, when she arrived, and did recieve some extra nutrition while she was here for the whole month.

Had any of her horses looked dwarfy, I would have also warned her to not breed them..

So at least both of her mares went home looking better, and she was not charged for the mare that did not breed.

Now the owner intends to bring her back in the spring to try again.

This lady is a repete customer of mine, and always hopes for fillies to keep, but sells them if they are colts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Parmela,

I am so sorrry you had to deal with this. I don't think I would have had much of an issue with a stanger, I don't know them from jack, so politelness but firmness, with people you know, well that's really hard when they just don't get it. They should know better, but when it just doesn't click.........

I hate to do it, but I am guilty of "sorry, one of my horses has a bug and I don't think it is a wise choice to take any animals on or off the property at this time".
default_wink.png

Carolyn

In her defense the paperwork was sent back to her. All she knows is that the office told her the report was not filed. She does not realize that you bred her horse after feeling it was really not quality you felt it should have been. You chose to breed the horse period. You cannot be angry at her for that, you never told her I will only breed this horse if you swear to never sell the baby.

I understand that you are upset with the decision you made but looking at it from her point of view she paid you for a service (no pun intended) and the reality is her horse according to the office cannot be registered at this point and time. I do understand her being upset and disappointed.

This just goes to show that going with your first instinct is usually the best thing to do. Hindsight is always 20/20.

Having read and re-read this thread, I'm left with a question. Has "Drama Queen" become a sort of PC way of saying "bully?"

This woman's steam-roller tactics seem pretty typical of a bully, to me. Yes, it looks like her colt may not sell because her paperwork came back. But rather than ask you if maybe there might be some mistake made, she has the audacity to lecture you on your responsibilities as a stallion owner. She has no business saying such things, to you or anyone else. Her accusations of unprofessionalism are at very best, the pot calling the kettle black, IMO. Then she goes so far as to say that, if you screw up this sale, she's going to get mad. And do what? Hold her breath until she turns blue? Why should you care whether she sells the horse or not, it's her horse, after all! Any person that uses threats to try to get people to do what they want is a bully in my book. And every fiber in my being rebels at the idea of placating a bully.

While I agree, there's nothing to be gained by responding in kind, she sure wouldn't get sugar from me. If you are absolutely sure that the stallion report is in order, then I would respond along these lines: "Your mare was on the stallion report, which was filed in a timely manner. If there is a problem, it did not originate with me nor my records. I suggest that you contact the registry." I might check with them myself, but I wouldn't tell her that! Although I might suggest that, if she asked me nicely, I might contact the registry as well, and see if we couldn't get to the bottom of it more quickly.
default_rolleyes.gif
I might also add something to the effect that, once this colt sells, she will have no further reason to contact me. Which is a polite way of saying what I know you wish you'd said in the first place, "Take a hike!!"

I would also keep a record of any communication between you, just in case things really get ugly.

I always keep copies of my stallion reports, and I have had a registry office make a mistake before on a horse I had purchased, which caused me to really embarrass myself because I DID get mad. But also sent a public apology as well, but that doesnt take back the upset phone message I had left for her either. I took the registry at their word, and they claimed they tried to call me back when they found out their error, but didnt..... what a mess it created.

I also would keep it short and sweet. If you are sure the mare was on there, I would simply tell her something like "Your mare was included on my stallion report, so I am uncertain why your paperwork was returned. Please call the registry and check with them again".

Is she trying to register the foal under a different mare?? The one who was NOT pregnant? Or is there something else going on?

So lets see if I understand this someone opted to use their stallion to breed a mare that they felt was not breeding worthy. They said over and over they did not feel good about the choice but in the end kept the mare and made sure she she was covered by the stallion for a price.

Now somehow the mare owner is a horrible human due to wanting to sell the resulting foal and for being upset that somewhere there is a mix up with the paperwork and the foal's registration paperwork has been returned. In fact it has even been implied she is trying to pull a fast one and trying to use a mare that was not even bred to the stallion.

I realize that the stallion owner is a forum member but she made the choice to use her stallion to cover the mare and got paid for it. It may have turned out to be the wrong choice but it was her choice.

Now painting the mare owner as a horrible person when all of this could have been avoided had the stallion owner simply chose to not take the money to breed the mare.

Incredible
default_no.gif

I'm inclined to agree with Bunnylady. The fact that there is a "problem" getting the foal registered is in no way justification for her to approach you with the attitude she exhibited. Guess she's never heard about catching more flies with honey..... I'd contact the registry and find out what the problem is and let her know things have either been taken care of or what she needs to do next. However, I certainly wouldn't sugar coat anything. Be direct and the professional that you are and get this lady out of your life once and for all. I'm sure you'll breathe a sigh of relief once it's over.

Latest posts

Back